What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership or money

Saint or sinner

Juniors
With a few of our key players off contract and the arrival of Ben hunt next season.throw in our good form this season and how happy the playing group looks at the moment we could be in a great position to win the GF in the next 2-3 years.. So what do theses players hold higher on there agendas and playing careers when they retire and look back on there time in the nrl.. A premiership ring and possibly going down in dragons history or $$$$$$$ first.. I think this is what Millward will push when trying to resign our off contract stars.. What will they choose money or possible glory..these could be the key factors in whether they stay or go

hazzbeen

Bench
Money is the answer 100%
Hunt, Bird and Cronk if he does play with someone else (although I suspect he won't) are the evidence.
Already playing with contenders but happy to go else where for the $$$$.
Money if its about setting up your future after footy , a Premiership would be good but the money is what the players need .

Old Timer

Coach
It looks like WIDDOP is heading to MELBOURNE as reported on 360 NRL Tonite - is Kurt MANN the solution at 5/8 then?
Do you believe everything that is reported on 360?
They actually don't get very many things correct so please try and resist validating their rumours and then instantly starting another endless lot of questions of who might do this or that.
For the record Storm have lots of options they have been working on for several years without Widdop and I am sure Cameron Munster figures in most of them.
Also Widdop will not be Captain at the Storm and I am sure that has a lot of relevancy for him.

gitano

Juniors
Money and personal circumstances take precedence over team success. That's just how it is now.
Even as a semi professional player, I'd always weigh up options. It's easy to play the loyalty card until you see the money.

giboz71

First Grade
Well if the rumours are correct, Widdop could be headed to Melbourne and Duges to the Roosters if they don't get Tedesco. Again, only rumours so have no idea if this is actually the case.

If true, both those clubs are in a position to win a comp in the near future.

With a few of our key players off contract and the arrival of Ben hunt next season.throw in our good form this season and how happy the playing group looks at the moment we could be in a great position to win the GF in the next 2-3 years.

And how do you propose that will happen if Mary is still half-coach?

Straight Shooter

Gareth67

First Grade
Was it not NRL 360 who first reported that the Tigers ' big 4 ' were off to the Bullthugs ?

Well , at this point in time , that is down to 2 . And the remaining 2 still have a big question mark hovering over them. Either these characters have been telling us fibs , or they are simply guessing ?

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
images

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems to me if Gareth widdop was happy to leave bleak city why the hell would he return to rorters incorporated when he's playing for the mighty red V time will tell go the mightys

Coffs dragon

Bench
NRL 360 by name and 360 degrees by nature when it comes to their BS rumours & gossip backflips. Let's all wait and see with Widdop and Dugan!!

possm

Coach
It looks like WIDDOP is heading to MELBOURNE as reported on 360 NRL Tonite - is Kurt MANN the solution at 5/8 then?
Mann has not been tested in the five-eighth position and he is not on Millward's white board. He has not received an offer as yet.

If Widdop does go, I think Mann would be a good replacement but I'm pretty sure Millward would slot Field into the five-eighth position even if he isn't quite ready.

If Widdop goes, there will be room to keep Dugan, Lafai, Packer and possibly Mann. Problem will be that we won't have a recognisable goal kicker.

Most importantly, Widdop leaving would be a big disruption to our current style of play.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Do you believe everything that is reported on 360?
They actually don't get very many things correct so please try and resist validating their rumours and then instantly starting another endless lot of questions of who might do this or that.
For the record Storm have lots of options they have been working on for several years without Widdop and I am sure Cameron Munster figures in most of them.
Also Widdop will not be Captain at the Storm and I am sure that has a lot of relevancy for him.

NRL 360 reiterated the same rumour apropos Widdop heading back to Melbourne twice in the space of 24 hours. This was off the back of an SMH article that said the same thing. It's veracity was endorsed by journalist Andrew Webster, a known Dragons' fan.

Sadly, this seems to be one rumour that's looking like being correct.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Seems to me if Gareth widdop was happy to leave bleak city why the hell would he return to rorters incorporated when he's playing for the mighty red V time will tell go the mightys

Apparently Widdop's wife is from Melbourne, plus there's the lure of being coached by Bellamy again.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
With a few of our key players off contract and the arrival of Ben hunt next season.throw in our good form this season and how happy the playing group looks at the moment we could be in a great position to win the GF in the next 2-3 years.. So what do theses players hold higher on there agendas and playing careers when they retire and look back on there time in the nrl.. A premiership ring and possibly going down in dragons history or $$$$$$$ first.. I think this is what Millward will push when trying to resign our off contract stars.. What will they choose money or possible glory..these could be the key factors in whether they stay or go

The answer to this contains many variables but it really comes to what stage a player is at in their career before deciding on 'money or a premiership'.

Someone like Bird (a premiership winner already) in his nascent career can forgo the opportunity of chasing another title in favour of filthy lucre, but this isn't the same for everyone.

As already mentioned by some, the coach and a prospective club's winning culture are determining factors too.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
3 months is a long time in Rugby League .
I am sure we all remember Gareth Widdop 2016 and the overwhelming commentary that he was not playing well and was absolutely crap.
True he is currently going fine and I have no doubt this is due to our forwards laying the platform.
If he leaves well so be it.My priority at this stage is to lock Packer in and maintain the forwards and the rest will look after itself.