What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price can only coach the cattle he has got

What's Up

Juniors
Like other dragons fans we are seeing our coach under immense pressure as the club is yet to post a win for 2013. Our attack is the area most highlighted and to be frank has not changed for the past three to four seasons. The same issues are there that were under Bennett regime. Like others I was delirious when we won the comp in 2010. The angst for me is that Doust, Bennett, Craig young and co have done the club no favours for the future and focused solely on the one objective. Now we will pay for this for the three to five years. I went to our first game, and the body language from some players was appalling. To make it worse, I then watched the cutters the next day and that didn't ease my mind either. The quality of our depth is non existent.

Price will no doubt pay for this. What about Doust, Young, and the board? Why should they not pay? Are there any suitable or better alternatives for them?

Minh

First Grade
Forcast is not that good IMO, I thought the Citters at least had a powerful squad and our First Grade team has forgotten how to defend on top of the attacking woes. Only a few good wins can bring back any confidence.

getsmarty

Immortal
Like other dragons fans we are seeing our coach under immense pressure as the club is yet to post a win for 2013. Our attack is the area most highlighted and to be frank has not changed for the past three to four seasons. The same issues are there that were under Bennett regime. Like others I was delirious when we won the comp in 2010. The angst for me is that Doust, Bennett, Craig young and co have done the club no favours for the future and focused solely on the one objective. Now we will pay for this for the three to five years. I went to our first game, and the body language from some players was appalling. To make it worse, I then watched the cutters the next day and that didn't ease my mind either. The quality of our depth is non existent.

Price will no doubt pay for this. What about Doust, Young, and the board? Why should they not pay? Are there any suitable or better alternatives for them?

Agree, but..Price is also part of recruitment and IMO he has done poorly in this area so has to be included with the others.

rasaint

Juniors
Sensible post. We won the comp with Boyd, Gaz, Smith, Costigan. We need a quality half back and a strike centre. Chase Stanley is OK but generally never threatens. Thats what I notice the most. From 30 metres out we put on moves but the centres do not have the power to get over. Thank heavens for Brett Morris, our one power back. Yes Price can be criticised but he doesn't have the players of 2010.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Sorry, what "moves" are we putting on.. The attack is non existent our forwards get us into position but on line attack is crapola

inside_pass

Bench
We need a player that can start something from anywhere like a Barba or Mundine type player.I know Mundine could be a wanker but he could spark something from nowhere and get our attack going.
The problem is that these types of players are rare so we just have to live with what we have for now.
Thurston would have been ideal but he was never going to leave the Cowboys.
Dugan is one of those players when he's in form so he's probably our only hope in the near future (that's if we sign him).

gypsy

Bench
We need a player that can start something from anywhere like a Barba or Mundine type player.I know Mundine could be a wanker but he could spark something from nowhere and get our attack going.
The problem is that these types of players are rare so we just have to live with what we have for now.
Thurston would have been ideal but he was never going to leave the Cowboys.
Dugan is one of those players when he's in form so he's probably our only hope in the near future (that's if we sign him).

Disagree. We don't need a player like that, we need players that are consistent. I'd put Jarryd Hayne in that same category as Barba and Mundine, sure he's good, but he's good two games a year.

Individual players can sometimes cover up attacking problems at a club, but I'd rather us just fix our attack.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Barba got the dally m for being good in more than 2 games... I'd put Haynes in that category but not the others... Mundine was awesome... There were 2 games in a year where he failed, but most of the time he was very very good

Mr Red

First Grade
Agree, but..Price is also part of recruitment and IMO he has done poorly in this area so has to be included with the others.

yep
its this simple.. the coach has the final say in which players are signed, and are attempted to sign, and also retained.

the buck stops with him.

Dakink

Bench
Halfback is one of the biggest areas of concern. Fien has shown he is most definitely not the answer. Why not give Drinkwater a go and let him grow his experience. Surely can't do any worse than Fien.

BennyV

Referee
"Price can only coach the cattle he has got"

I thought the same thing about Des Hasler last year...
Nekminnit
BOOM - Krisnan Inu
BOOM - Sam Perret
BOOM - fringe first graders becoming superstars...

As for replacing Doust/Young etc...I don't totally agree with it (yet) but if it was to happen, I believe Steve Noyce is still looking for a job. Contrary to some opinion, he did some good things with Tigers and Roosters and got treated quite harshly last year.

Elias1983

Coach
"Price can only coach the cattle he has got"

I thought the same thing about Des Hasler last year...
Nekminnit
BOOM - Krisnan Inu
BOOM - Sam Perret
BOOM - fringe first graders becoming superstars...

As for replacing Doust/Young etc...I don't totally agree with it (yet) but if it was to happen, I believe Steve Noyce is still looking for a job. Contrary to some opinion, he did some good things with Tigers and Roosters and got treated quite harshly last year.

Hang on a sec.

How many players did hasler turn into superstars in his first two years as coach?

You can't compare Price to hasler at this stage.

BennyV

Referee
Hang on a sec.

How many players did hasler turn into superstars in his first two years as coach?

You can't compare Price to hasler at this stage.

To clarify:
Obviously, coaching is a learning curve, and a big one. BUT I'm saying that if one puts the blame solely on the players (as the name of this thread suggests) then it's not exactly an accurate view of them system, because the coach (with the right tools) has the ability to change who gets put on the park. There's 2 main arguments;
1) It's Pricey's fault, he is persisting with players who aren't up for it and not making changes
2) It's the players fault, they aren't putting in on the field, Pricey isn't the on missing tackles and dropping balls.
In reality, it's not black and white, it takes a coach to recognise the strength of each player, devise a plan that exercises those strengths, and back himself.

Price deserves more than 2 rounds of misfiring attack this year to show his stuff. Different story if he sticks with a failing side after 2 months...I, for one, am not a fan of firing him just yet.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Morris,Nightingale,Cooper,Soward,Fein,Creagh,Harrison,Merrin & Weyman have all palyed reps or at a high level. 5 of the 9 backs played reps. 4 forwards have played reps ( I think Prior and Hunt may have played for Country).

If that is bad cattle for Price to work with then look at other sides and see what cattle they have? And they are playing much better. Compare the Titans, Eels, Panthers, Tigers, etc backs to the Dragons. For the Dragons players to have been picked to represent Country, City, NSW, NZ or Aust they must have been pretty good cause I am sure those teams don't select bad cattle.

Saints have a good squad, sick of hearing our players being bagged and our crap coach been given excuses. As for Price been given an aging roster, that is also crap. Fein and Cooper are the only old guys there. From memory Lockyer, Steve Price, El Masri, Patten etc played well when they were OLD? If your good enough to play NRL age has nothing to do with it.

The roster saints have is better than alot of others out there so stop blaming the cattle. Saints have the perfect blend of youth and experience it is a pity it is not getting utilised. It is the type of team most coaches would love to have. Even Bellamy thought about coaching the side. He took ages to make his decision. If it was bad cattle then he would have made the decision straight away.

Morris,Nightingale,Cooper,Soward,Fein,Creagh,Harrison,Merrin & Weyman have all palyed reps or at a high level. 5 of the 9 backs played reps. 4 forwards have played reps ( I think Prior and Hunt may have played for Country).

If that is bad cattle for Price to work with then look at other sides and see what cattle they have? And they are playing much better. Compare the Titans, Eels, Panthers, Tigers, etc backs to the Dragons. For the Dragons players to have been picked to represent Country, City, NSW, NZ or Aust they must have been pretty good cause I am sure those teams don't select bad cattle.

Saints have a good squad, sick of hearing our players being bagged and our crap coach been given excuses. As for Price been given an aging roster, that is also crap. Fein and Cooper are the only old guys there. From memory Lockyer, Steve Price, El Masri, Patten etc played well when they were OLD? If your good enough to play NRL age has nothing to do with it.

The roster saints have is better than alot of others out there so stop blaming the cattle. Saints have the perfect blend of youth and experience it is a pity it is not getting utilised. It is the type of team most coaches would love to have. Even Bellamy thought about coaching the side. He took ages to make his decision. If it was bad cattle then he would have made the decision straight away.