What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

|| Primer Latinoamericano Rugby League (NRL) Championships ||

latingringo101

Juniors
|| Primer Latinoamericano Rugby League (NRL) Championships ||

The rugby league community is just weeks away from a tournament which will double the number of world-ranked nations in Latin America.

At the completion of the Latin American Rugby League Championships on November 17-18 in Chile, there will be six Latino countries to have played under RLIF Test conditions.

Already Chile, El Salvador and Uruguay appear on the world rankings table.

They are set to be joined after the Chilean tournament by Argentina, Mexico and Colombia, all of which have domestic activity, but are yet to play 13-a-side internationals under limited interchange.

A good-natured, but intense, rivalry is brewing between neighbouring Chile and Argentina in particular for supremacy in the region.

Chile, which will host the four-way tournament in the southern city of Los Angeles, has the largest domestic foothold in Latin America and a strong base of players with experience playing in Australia.

It is currently ranked 35th in the world after a 20-all draw with Thailand on September 30 and has been the best-performed Latin American nation on a global scale to date.

Argentina has much less experience in the 13-man game, but more than 100,000 registered rugby union players who bring a strong tactical and physical base with them when transferring across codes.

At the 2016 Primer Torneo Sudamericano nine-a-side tournament in Miramar, Argentina, both Chile and Argentina advanced through the qualification stages unbeaten from three games.

In the final, Argentina struck a decisive blow by defeating Chile 16-0, despite the Chileans having two Australian-based heritage players travel over to assist their cause.

That result leaves a big question mark over who will enter this year’s championships as favourite.

Approximately 90 per cent of players at the looming tournament will be domestic-based players, with only a handful of heritage players from other nations trekking to Los Angeles.

Mexico and Colombia will enter the event as unknown commodities, having built their playing base in isolation.

Mexico actually boasts the longest-running domestic competition in Latin America, but has been starved of international opposition until now.

Sending its players to Chile is both an expensive and time-consuming exercise, a 7000km journey that takes 11 hours by commercial flight.

Support for them has come from the volunteer group Latin Heat Rugby League, which promotes rugby league to all 24 nationalities across Latin America, who are using money from sponsors and a crowdfunding campaign to assist the Mexicans. To pledge support please click here

Colombia, like Argentina, has a very strong rugby union influence in its core group, primarily of players based out of Bogota and Medellin.

Snippets of training footage posted by both teams has assured they will be high on physicality.

Mexico will be led by man mountain Ruben Munguia, one of those who volunteered to help his countrymen in the aftermath of the recent earthquake.

Meanwhile Colombia will be directed by Nicolas Perico Daza, a skilful ball-player who spent a year playing in Australia with the Latin Heat organisation before returning home to spark interest in his homeland.

Colombia is responsible for one of the highest foreign student populations in Australia, and Perico Daza is the latest in a line of Colombians who have returned home after learning the fundamentals abroad.

The tournament draw on November 17-18 will see Argentina play Colombia in one side of the draw, while Chile faces Mexico.

The winners will face-off for the title as champions, while the losers of the qualification games will play a bronze medal match.

The Latin American Championships form part of a wider exercise that extends beyond the fixtures themselves.

A number of coaching and refereeing clinics and school visits will be held in Chile and Argentina around the tournament dates, while several ‘clubhouses’ will screen the Rugby League World Cup, broadcast footage permitting.

Delegates from a handful of other Latin American nations will also be in attendance to learn more about the sport and build relationships with officials from nearby countries, with the view to expanding participation.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hate to mention the obvious, but the biggest RU comp in Mexico is called the Mexico Major Rugby League.

How do we reckon RL is gonna go with that little confusion?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Hate to mention the obvious, but the biggest RU comp in Mexico is called the Mexico Major Rugby League.

How do we reckon RL is gonna go with that little confusion?

I'm surprised RU haven't done this more in countries where there are domestic competitions. Call the actual competition the (insert country name) Rugby League and really screw us over.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm surprised RU haven't done this more in countries where there are domestic competitions. Call the actual competition the (insert country name) Rugby League and really screw us over.

In truth, we're just screwin ourselves over...

Union would be totally within their rights to do it (despite the inevitable whinging on here). Like placing your ballsack under someones boot then complaining when they take a step.

Anyway, on topic. These nations are probably a way off RLWC qualification, but who knows what could happen in 4 years.

And, if nothing else, hopefully the (or even the combined Latin Heat) are invited to the world 9s event.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
In truth, we're just screwin ourselves over...

Union would be totally within their rights to do it (despite the inevitable whinging on here). Like placing your ballsack under someones boot then complaining when they take a step.

Anyway, on topic. These nations are probably a way off RLWC qualification, but who knows what could happen in 4 years.

And, if nothing else, hopefully the (or even the combined Latin Heat) are invited to the world 9s event.

The good news is that we now have a South American annual international competition up and running and at some stage in the future the winner can press to at least be involved in a repechage play-off for a world cup spot. It also means that we have annual international competitions (other than World Cup years) in:

Europe (Euro Cup)
North America & Carribbean (Atlantic Cup)
Latin (At this stage South America plus Mexico) America (Campeonato Latinoamericano de Rugby League)

We need to add an annual:
Pacific Cup (looooooooooooooooooooong overdue)
Asian Cup (Thailand, Philippines, Hong Kong, Japan)

and then expand on the current African and Middle East participation (currently Lebanon and South Africa)

If we were to achieve this in the next four year cycle (quite achievable), we would have the basic structure in place to really grow the game and add nations to each regional championship as they are ready.

Dakink

Bench
That's a topic of debate for another thread but in general we've found it helps for Neutrals that having something to point to (i.e NRL/SL) helps them realise the sport we're trying to promote.
I have to agree. I work with numerous backpackers, from all over the world, this year we had a number of French, spanish and even Estonian.

The bledisloe was on one night, all recognised it as union. The next night the nrl semis were on. Not one of them knew league to be a different sport. The common theme was there is only 1 rugby isnt there. When i explained the difference it was, well why do they still use the name rugby? Wouldnt it make sense to call it something different?

Previously i have been against changing the sports name but my recent experiences have opened the idea a little. They seriously havent heard of rugby league and just assumed it was union and couldn't understand why league still used rugby.

Talking about 100 backpackers here. Is the name confusing for neutrals? Do we need to change or educate?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Never, ever, under any circumstance, should the sport of rugby league be referred to as "NRL". Just, no. We are not the AFL.

Yes, we should call it "Rugby" so whatever good press we get is inevitably lost to the Vichy game.

At least the VFL isnt pig-headed enough to think they have some divine right to "Football". They understand that they cannot survive calling themselves "Football"...

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have to agree. I work with numerous backpackers, from all over the world, this year we had a number of French, spanish and even Estonian.

The bledisloe was on one night, all recognised it as union. The next night the nrl semis were on. Not one of them knew league to be a different sport. The common theme was there is only 1 rugby isnt there. When i explained the difference it was, well why do they still use the name rugby? Wouldnt it make sense to call it something different?

Previously i have been against changing the sports name but my recent experiences have opened the idea a little. They seriously havent heard of rugby league and just assumed it was union and couldn't understand why league still used rugby.

Talking about 100 backpackers here. Is the name confusing for neutrals? Do we need to change or educate?

Ive spent the last year commandeering TVs in bars in spain to put on the NRL and ive got one place here in china playing some WC games. (im not actively promoting, i just miss the atmosphere at my old Leagues Club)...

Its always a hit with at least some of the locals, but the problem comes when they ask "is this Rugby?".

What do i say:
- "Yes". Well they just assume it is RU and RL continues to languish in obscurity.
- "No. I mean its called 'Rugby' but its not the 'Rugby' youre thinking of. There are actually two........" I can see there eyes glaze over as they stop giving a shit.

Every answer is bad!!!!!!

Why do we expect people not born into RL-RU split to understand the difference before they have even been given a reason to care. Why is it so hard to give RL its own name?

Maybe people think RL isnt good enough to survive on its own and NEEDS to ride Unions coattails. Personally, i think we'll be fine on our own...

Stallion

First Grade

Educate. As the name reflects the colourful history of this underated code.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Educate. As the name reflects the colourful history of this underated code.

To me, the name just shows RL as belligerently insular...

The sport prefers to take the few people who care enough to promote the game in new markets and force them to explain the entire history of the name, just because it cant be assed finding its own name.

You say "educate"? Why do you expect these people to care enough to listen. If the RL has the same name as Rugby, it either means it thinks of itself as the same sport or it just doesnt care about the people who arent born knowing the difference.

Stallion

First Grade
To me, the name just shows RL as belligerently insular...

The sport prefers to take the few people who care enough to promote the game in new markets and force them to explain the entire history of the name, just because it cant be assed finding its own name.

You say "educate"? Why do you expect these people to care enough to listen. If the RL has the same name as Rugby, it either means it thinks of itself as the same sport or it just doesnt care about the people who arent born knowing the difference.

I think you will find in northern England that the locals refer to rugby league as rugby. Maybe call it Elite rugby? It is rugby however a supremely better version of the rugby codes! It has happened to have been held back by its rival brother code for many decades.

Latest posts