What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince Naseem on the comeback trail ?

Will the throwin samoan ever be world champ

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ozbash

Referee
Naseem Hamed has insisted he is on course to make a return to the ring later this year.
The former world featherweight champion was replying to promoter Frank Warren, who said on Monday that he thought Hamed was unlikely to box again.

The 29-year-old has been out of action since a lacklustre points win over Manuel Calvo in London last May.

Before that he had not boxed for more than 12 months after suffering his first professional loss to Marco Antonio Barrera in Las Vegas.

Hamed's comeback bout against Manchester's Michael Brodie has also been rescheduled several times, leading Warren to suggest the Prince was ready to retire.

But Hamed told www.boxing-central.com: "I'd like to thank Frank for his concern. I'm doing fine and looking forward to boxing later this year, insha Allah (God willing)."

Warren had said: "I don't think he'll fight again - I don't think his heart's in it.

"He's comfortable, he's made a lot of money, he spends a lot of time with his family and he doesn't need to fight.

"If he does fight again now he'll be under a lot of scrutiny and a lot of people will be asking if he's still got it - he didn't look like he still had it in his last fight."

Hamed can boast 17 successful world title fights among his 36 wins, but Warren feels he never quite fulfilled his enormous potential.

"I think at one stage he was the most exciting fighter that I'd ever been involved with. At one stage, in the early part of his career, he could have gone on to become one of the great fighters.

"But that disappeared when he didn't fight as regularly as he should have done, when he was cutting corners on his training. It just didn't work out for him from that point on."

ozbash

Referee
Naseem Hamed was just 17 when he made his debut in 1992 - but there was plenty of evidence of what was to come.

The Sheffield fighter convincingly beat Ricky Beard inside two rounds in Mansfield.

By 1994 Hamed had beaten Italy's Vicenzo Belcastro to take the European super bantamweight title aged 20.

That title win meant Naseem was now facing a different calibre of opponent - not that he seemed to be fazed by this.

Hamed was getting noticed more and more for his total confidence and flamboyance in victory.

HAMED FACT FILE
Born: 12/02/1974
Turned pro: 14/04/1994
Divison: Featherweight
Record: 36-1-0
Alias: Prince Naseem Hamed
Height: 5ft 3in
Reach: 68in
Trainer: Maurice Core
Promoter: Barry Hearn

When you throw in the distinctive leopard-skin shorts and a trademark somersaulted entrance into the ring, you can see why the TV men soon came knocking.

The big fight came a year later in 1995 when Hamed was matched up with WBO featherweight champion Steve Robinson at Cardiff Arms Park.

Hamed took his chance with relish, putting in a sparkling performance in Robinson's backyard to knock the Welshman out in eight rounds and take his world title.

Naseem was even more lethal in his next fight - he put Said Lawal on the floor with his first punch and finished the Nigerian off in just 35 seconds.

Hamed's entrances into the ring soon became as notable as his opponents exits from it, as he turned up the glitz and glamour levels.

A throne, a flying carpet and a circle of steel and generous helpings of smoke and fireworks have all accompanied his entrances into the squared circle.

A comprehensive eight-round victory over American Tom Johnson at the London Arena meant Hamed captured the IBF title - and paved the way for him to fight in America.

Hamed arrived in New York with a bang when he knocked out former world champion Kevin Kelley in the fourth round at Madison Square Garden.

In what was probably the fight of 1997, Hamed got up off the canvas three times to knock Kelley out with a thumping left and thrill the American audience.

KEY FIGHTS
10/04/1995: Beats Steve Robinson in Cardiff to win WBO featherweight title
30/9/1997: Beats Tom Johnson in London to take IBF title
22/10/1999: Wins WBC title beating Cesar Soto on points in Detroit
8/4/2001: Loses after 12 rounds to Marco Anonio Barrera

1998 saw victories over Wilfredo Vazquez and Wayne McCullough but also acrimonious splits as Hamed parted company with both his promoter and trainer.

Trainer Brendan Ingle had been with Nas since he was a precocious seven-year-old.

Undoutbably it's his influence that Hamed has since missed the most - he also left Frank Warren's promotional stable and decided to promote himself through his brother Riath and Barry Hearn.

Hamed picked up the WBC title in 1999 when he beat Cesar Soto on points in Detroit.

But that was only papering over the cracks - his fallibility was becoming more apparent with each knockdown.

Hamed's career defining fight came in 2001.

He would be king if he could beat highly-rated Mexican Marco Antonio Barrera.

Hamed arrived in the Las Vegas with trademark glitz and glamour carrying all the cards to complete a full house.

But he left a busted flush after a comprehensive beating from Barrera on a unaminous points desicion.

It was his first defeat and he took it with suprisingly good grace.

But you get the feeling it wasn't just his unbeaten record that Hamed lost in Las Vegas that April night.

And after an unconvincing points win over Manuel Calvo in his comeback fight - it remains to be seen if we have seen the last of the Sheffield man.

For boxing's sake you would hope that we have not.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hamed knows that he'd never have a hope against Barrerra, Morales or Marquez. The Prince is done.

ozbash

Referee
probably right there ED, but he was good for boxing.
i liked his majic carpet.

never know tho, he could prove us wrong.

GBT

Juniors
There's hope for me yet. I was born in Nelson, surely the tall blacks have a claim on me. :)

ozbash

Referee
we,d have you mate..
actually, i have always thought you looked a bit like a pale jonah lomu...
i,m sure we could slot you in somewhere... :D