What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Prior ready to test his front row mettle'

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...ady-to-test-his-front-row-mettle/default.aspx

St George Illawarra tyro Matt Prior claims Saturday night's Charity Shield clash with South Sydney's monster pack will be the perfect test of his credentials in the engine room.
Prior, who impressed as a wide-running backrower in his first full year in the top grade in 2009, has become the unlikely candidate to replace departed prop Justin Poore in the Dragons' front row.
It was assumed that battle would be fought out by new recruit Michael Greenfield and holdovers Dan Hunt, Jarrod Saffy and Trent Merrin, but coach Wayne Bennett shocked many when he plumped for the 22-year-old at prop against Canterbury last weekend.
While he held his own up against Australian prop Ben Hannant, Prior knows the examination will only get tougher when he lines up against a pack featuring Roy Asotasi, Sam Burgess, Dave Taylor, Eddy Pettybourne and Luke Stuart at ANZ Stadium.
"It's definitely a test - they've got some good front rowers and just a good forward pack all-round, it will be a good test for me," Prior said.
While enjoying the challenge of playing in the middle, Prior said neither he nor Bennett were convinced of a permanent move there.
Such is Prior's versatility that after playing the first half against the Bulldogs in the front row, Bennett shuffled him out to the centre for the second stanza where he was marking up against a fresh Jamal Idris.
But playing in the front row may be Prior's best bet of securing a starting berth, with Nathan Fien's shift to the No.9 jumper leaving Dean Young, Jeremy Smith and Ben Creagh as he first-choice backrow.
"I'm not too sure yet (about the front row), we're trying out a few things in the trials," Prior said.
"My style of game might suit playing in the middle a bit more rather than just on the edge like I did last year.
"You have to get through a lot more work playing in the middle, a lot more tackling and a lot more involvement.
"I played a lot of front row and back row in juniors - I haven't really had a permanent position, I've just been in the forwards somewhere."

watatank

Coach
It definitely suits him to play up the middle and his ruck defence is a huge plus over there. It's good to know he's versatile enough to move wider if needed to. And as has been said, Souths is as good a test as any.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I saw his specifications on a site last year and he was either 107- 109 kgs, I wouldn't call that small. Maybe AG can confirm, the dragons haven't listed his weight this year?

I'll trust whatever Wayne wants to do but i'd never imagine Prior as a front rower charging it up the middle? He's got a bit pace and is mobile, why waste that as sledgehammer bull runner?

Did anyone see Dan Hunt on the front of the telecrap the other day? looks like he's put on at least 5 kg.

watatank

Coach
Yeah I know but when i think of Weyman, Poore, Fui, Ryles, Price etc they just seem bigger the Prior.

I suppose Blair is around 108kg..

True, he's not in the same mould. But I still think he can do a job for us. He doesn't have the strength of others but he makes up for it in mobility, footwork, good body position and he plays the ball quick. He has also got good ruck defence which is going to help Weyman for sure.

boxa777

Coach
It will probably work..

Running on the right edge last season, he tended to turn back instead of keeping his line straight a lot of the times. It was awkward and stifled the attacking right side of the team. I also think he got isolated on the edge trying to tackle some elusive halves one on one close to the tryline. Thurston bathing in one game springs to mind.

He is a very valuable player though. What will allow him to contribute in the middle will be his footwork. He can lessen the collisions with his feet and in the middle I expect his defence to be very tidy and lasting of longer spells than your regular props.

He is a very valuable player though. What will allow him to contribute in the middle will be his footwork. He can lessen the collisions with his feet and in the middle I expect his defence to be very tidy and lasting of longer spells than your regular props.[/QUOTE]

Interesting point

Cagey Mac

Bench
It will probably work..

Running on the right edge last season, he tended to turn back instead of keeping his line straight a lot of the times. It was awkward and stifled the attacking right side of the team. I also think he got isolated on the edge trying to tackle some elusive halves one on one close to the tryline. Thurston bathing in one game springs to mind.

He is a very valuable player though. What will allow him to contribute in the middle will be his footwork. He can lessen the collisions with his feet and in the middle I expect his defence to be very tidy and lasting of longer spells than your regular props.

Yep!

petetheileet

First Grade
ROFL, just realised what my post says......

seriously though, i think Wayne is really trying to develop this bloke into a superstar...Wayne i think see's something in him!

Dragons23

Juniors
I'm a big fan of Dan hunt and last year when mick weyman and poore
were havin a breather he kept the momentuem going strong.
i think between him and Jarrad saffy

Althoguh I like Prior and I'm sure he'll do well, I hope Dan Hunt doesn't see this as a slap in the face and gets dirty that he's not promoted from the bench...

Latest posts