What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private car sale advice needed...

bileduct

Coach
Ok, I'm finally about to replace my old Falcon that has been limping along since last years accident. I'm looking at another car that's up for private sale in my suburb.

A revs check has revealed that there's still finance owing on the vehicle. The financial organisation listed is Australian Military Bank Ltd, and the first buyer type is state government so I'm fairly confident that the seller (most likely ADF) is reputable.

So that said I'm looking for some advice on what's the best way to proceed with a vehicle that's already financially encumbered. I haven't spoken to the dude yet so I'm not sure what his story is, but I just want to make sure I don't end up getting bent over because this car looks perfect otherwise.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
As long as he doesn't owe more than the asking rice, you just need to make sure that your money, or the initial portion of it goes to his finance company and you get written authority that it is now paid off, and you pay the balance to the vendor.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The adf is selling cars privately? That sounds odd. Perhaps it's a fringe benefit?

As a rule I'd avoid any vehicle with finance still owing. The more parties involved, the more chances of miscommunication.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm with senses. Probably an unfair generalisation but as soon you see finance outstanding it's a red flag for me. Just extra hassle in my book. Buying a used car already involved a lot of running around,don't need extra hoops to jump thru

bileduct

Coach
The car is just over four years old so I'm not really surprised to see money still owing on it.

The guy is literally a few streets away. If it was more than that I'd probably put it in the too much hassle bin. I'll wait to hear back from the dude and see what the story is.

bileduct

Coach
So it turned out the finance was related to the dude who bought the car two weeks ago. Advertiser didn't bother to take his ad down.