What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Probably the umpteenth thread on 'Slater the grub'

LazyDreamer

Bench
I know among my 300-odd posts is the claim last year that Billy Slater elbows players in the head when tackled. In fact, pretty sure it was round 1 2009, when Hornby tackled & 'turtled' him, that Slater - barely disguising it as trying to flail himself to his feet - repeatedly elbowed Ben Hornby in the head - and got away with it.

Fast forward to today. 15th minute. Hornby tackles Slater, turtles Slater so Hornby is lying under him,, Slater then trashes a couple of elbows - the first to see where Hornby is, the second to slam his elbow into Hornby's jaw. The ref blows a penalty - I think "Yeah, about freakin' time that grub got called for it," yet unbelievably it's Hornby getting (ridiculously) penalised for a supposed high shot!

I'm assuming if the NRL ever do pick up on the practice, the one player never penalised for it will be Slater - just like the feet-first tackles. Protected species? For sure!

j0nesy

Bench
Yes he is a grub, yes he gets away with it. Thought the exact same thing when I saw the Hornby incident.

His style of play is all about a quick play the ball, and he'll do anything for that. He is as bad as Micheal Hancock in that respect. He also seems to walk/run about 2-5 meters off the mark. It really pisses me off because it either negates one marker, forces the markers square or puts the defensive line offside. Not to mention the fact that he gets an extra few meters for free. This type of play inevitably leads to a big dummy half run or a penalty against the defensive team. Slater is not the only player who does this, but he is one of the best at it.

Don't get me started on Slater, just don't...

thommo4pm

Coach
Agree with both of you....the guy is a cat, and the sad thing is he can play and doesn't need this in his game.
How on earth he didn't even get cautioned for the elbows on Hornby is beyond me.
What odds the match review picking it up????

Red V Ultras

Juniors
He's such a pussy and yes he does get away with a lot. I remember 2 years ago when we played them at their mini Olympic park he ran from 40 metres to start throwing punches into Nightingale and the ref done nothing to him. sh*t purple team nothing but dirty tactics I hope someone KO him one day.

Latest posts