What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promotion and Relegation!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tri clearly knows something promoted championships don’t, you could be earning a fortune as a recruitment person for newly promoted SL clubs mate lol

tri_colours

Juniors
Tri clearly knows something promoted championships don’t, you could be earning a fortune as a recruitment person for newly promoted SL clubs mate lol

If you cant come up with an argument. you need to change your material. Because sarcasm is not your strong point.

The clubs are paid a 13m grant and they have 9.5m to spend (or a large portion of that)
. Most of the players there after would have already already received offers. What part are you having trouble with?

Other than players in the NRL. You would have plenty of space under your cap so someone like
Semi Radrada wouldn't be out the question either.

And if one side is promoted a current side has to be demoted, meaning that Jai arrow, Wallace etc are now available also.

Leicester City

Yeah, two seasons after they were promoted. Go back and read what I said which was -

"Show me concrete examples in sports which currently have promotion and relegation where a promoted team have, in their first year of promotion been title contenders or won the title in the top tier?"

As such Leicester City is not a valid to answer to the question I asked. They won the title in the second year of promotion.

tri_colours

Juniors
Relying on a Wikipedia entry regarding JWH signing for 2020 and 2021 with the Panthers? Sorry but you have gotta be kidding me. You just lost all credibility by using that as your source.

You've got pre Grand Final , You've got post Grand Final, as well as players that are playing elsewhere eg Radradra, Hastings, holmes etc, to chose from. You also have the pick of players from the demoted team to chose from . You already have a squad worth $4m (similar to what the top tier in super league has). And now you have an additional $4 worth of salary cap to spend.

Your just regurgitating the same old, same old meaningless excuses!

And if that isn't correct about Hargraves it would only be because someone went off to early. He was or is, obviously, still in discussion...

And talking about lacking in credibility. You assured me that no self respecting player would sighn after October. But last year, those I can recall of the top of my head.
Shaun Johnson. Dylan Napa and David Klemmer!

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
Yeah, two seasons after they were promoted. Go back and read what I said which was -

"Show me concrete examples in sports which currently have promotion and relegation where a promoted team have, in their first year of promotion been title contenders or won the title in the top tier?"

As such Leicester City is not a valid to answer to the question I asked. They won the title in the second year of promotion.

So they won the second tier. Were not relegated the following year(which some people would have us believe never happens). And then prospered further to take out the title the next year. Wow ,way to go. ...

Did they have $4m worth of salary cap to spend in there 1st year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you cant come up with an argument. you need to change your material. Because sarcasm is not your strong point.

The clubs are paid a 13m grant and they have 9.5m to spend (or a large portion of that)
. Most of the players there after would have already already received offers. What part are you having trouble with?

Other than players in the NRL. You would have plenty of space under your cap so someone like
Semi Radrada wouldn't be out the question either.

And if one side is promoted a current side has to be demoted, meaning that Jai arrow, Wallace etc are now available also.

mate I’ve been giving you a proven evidence based argument for pages lol. Your hypothetical that quality players will be available for signing by a newly promoted club simply does not have any credence or basis in the reality of what happens. For the final time, top quality players don’t sit around until October waiting to see if they’ve got a deal. Picking the eyes out of the relegated team is hardly great for the game and why we’ve seen the likes of Leigh and widnes and Bradford and many others go into crisis when relegated and end up totally busted clubs. Yet another reason P$R does not work and does not lead to a vibrant future for professional clubs. Thankfully it’s never going to happen so I’m done telling you why it’s a proven failed model.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So they won the second tier. Were not relegated the following year(which some people would have us believe never happens). And then prospered further to take out the title the next year. Wow ,way to go. ...

Did they have $4m worth of salary cap to spend in there 1st year?

even sharks managed to win a title lol. Leicester city was a 1 in a million event, hasn’t happened for decades before and won’t happen for decades again. Now let’s look at how many clubs got relegated in their first year of entering epl!

You've got pre Grand Final , You've got post Grand Final, as well as players that are playing elsewhere eg Radradra, Hastings, holmes etc, to chose from. You also have the pick of players from the demoted team to chose from . You already have a squad worth $4m (similar to what the top tier in super league has). And now you have an additional $4 worth of salary cap to spend.

Your just regurgitating the same old, same old meaningless excuses!

And if that isn't correct about Hargraves it would only be because someone went off to early. He was or is, obviously, still in discussion...

And talking about lacking in credibility. You assured me that no self respecting player would sighn after October. But last year, those I can recall of the top of my head.
Shaun Johnson. Dylan Napa and David Klemmer!

Sorry? Where did I say "that no self respecting player would sighn after October"? Do not put words in my mouth as that is not what I said at all. If that is how you respond to people who disagree with you, making crap up that other people did not say but arguing they did, then you are just plain not worth talking to.

tri_colours

Juniors
even sharks managed to win a title lol. Leicester city was a 1 in a million event, hasn’t happened for decades before and won’t happen for decades again. Now let’s look at how many clubs got relegated in their first year of entering epl!

Did they have 4X as much to spend on there roster? has any other club been in that position?

tri_colours

Juniors
Sorry? Where did I say "that no self respecting player would sighn after October"? Do not put words in my mouth as that is not what I said at all. If that is how you respond to people who disagree with you, making crap up that other people did not say but arguing they did, then you are just plain not worth talking to.

I apologise if you didn't say that ... It must of been somebody else.

You did say this however: which is pretty similar especially when your questioning others credibility!

Again you ignore realities when it comes to player retention by clubs. They don't wait till the end of the season to finalise their rosters, and the players are happy with that system also. Hence your proposal that players would wait till after a promotion/relegation match to finalise contracts ignores current realities that neither the clubs nor the players will allow to change.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
V'landys “If you dominate a market, and you want to maintain that market, you don’t give anyone else an opportunity to go in there and take that market......

Sounds very much like someone who wants to add to the fan base, not reduce it.

Travitoh

First Grade
The extra $4m under the cap that a promoted side has in their cap would quickly be spent by bonuses and pay rises to the players currently on at their club.

tri_colours

Juniors
The extra $4m under the cap that a promoted side has in their cap would quickly be spent by bonuses and pay rises to the players currently on at their club.

Yes, with promoted, tier 2 players now needing to be on the minimum wage that could create a problem.

You would still have enough for a few good pick-ups. Maybe they could get cap exemptions for buying non - NRL players.