What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposal to fix origin players misisng club games

I believe we need to fix the issue of origin players missing club games, it is not fair and it needs to change.
Just this past weekend all the teams that lost had more players in origin then the team that defeated them, below I have 3 options, one of these needs to be introduced ASAP
1. Origin is played on a weekend creating a standalone weekend, (players not involved can go to country areas and work with grassroots community).
2. Controversial move all teams play on weekend before midweek origin, example if the match is for example as last weekend Parramatta v Cronulla, as the Eels had 2 players in origin, they would be allowed to select to Cronulla players from the round before and they could not play, at least evening the match, but a further decrease on player talent.
3. Let’s go back to how we did this, in early 80’s origin players still play for their club on the weekend prior, we make one adjustment, as there is no Monday night football that weekend, this would allow all players to play for their club.

On options 2 & 3, the further benefit would be with no bye’s we can increase season to 26 matches up from 24, thus increase revenue stream to all clubs, this would as well flow on with next TV contract, that there is another 16 matches to be played again further dollars.

What we have at the moment is definitely unfair to clubs who get players into origin and it needs to change, we need to create a level playing field for all teams.
I am a shark’s supporter, so this rule would not benefit us, at the moment, but I would like to have it fair for all 16 teams.

DC_fan

Coach
1. Origin is played on a weekend creating a standalone weekend, (players not involved can go to country areas and work with grassroots community).

2. Controversial move all teams play on weekend before midweek origin, example if the match is for example as last weekend Parramatta v Cronulla, as the Eels had 2 players in origin, they would be allowed to select to Cronulla players from the round before and they could not play, at least evening the match, but a further decrease on player talent.

3. Let’s go back to how we did this, in early 80’s origin players still play for their club on the weekend prior, we make one adjustment, as there is no Monday night football that weekend, this would allow all players to play for their club.

1. Will not happen. That game rates its head of on a Wednesday night and that is a much more important night for TV then a Saturday or Sunday night.

2. With respect, this is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

3. The idea of players not playing the wekend before the SOO is to keep them fresh and injury free for what is the games standout event of the season.

hellteam

First Grade
1) Problem with this option is that playing it as a stand alone weekend is that the teams only get 4-5 days to prepare instead of the one and a half weeks it is currently, which would suck for the Blues who pick a new halves combination each game.

2) I do not understand your second option.

3) That means they only have 2 days to train? And the majority of that would be recovering from the weekend game. I think that is what you're saying.

DC_fan

Coach
2) I do not understand your second option.

What he is saying is, using the example he did Parramatta v Cronulla, is that the Eels who had two players in the NSW team would be able to pick two players from the Sharks who could not play in that game.

This would create a terror weekend where we see just the one match. Financially, we cannot do this.

Controversial move all teams play on weekend before midweek origin, example if the match is for example as last weekend Parramatta v Cronulla, as the Eels had 2 players in origin, they would be allowed to select to Cronulla players from the round before and they could not play, at least evening the match, but a further decrease on player talent.
It's not controversial, it's just stupid. Even if the same amount of players are removed, it is most certainly not even.

Let’s go back to how we did this, in early 80’s origin players still play for their club on the weekend prior, we make one adjustment, as there is no Monday night football that weekend, this would allow all players to play for their club.
So, three games in potentially six days? We hear enough complaints about burnout, this will see someone injured for sure. What if a player has an injury whilst representing their club? And what would be the point of an Origin camp?

Gaba

First Grade
1) already been tried and failed miserably - people want to watch club games on the weekend

lol Parra whinger. If anything, it proves your team is a one man band.

No sympathy to the Dragons who were missing 6?? players...

The Observer

Staff member
Another solution - create a second competition that runs during rep games. Instead of the current 24 round NRL, perhaps the NRL can run two separate competitions for clubs:
1) NRL - 16 regular round games, 1 bye, 3 weeks of finals. In regular rounds, each clubs plays the 15 others once, and play one club a second time. All players play all games in the this competition. If the competition expands to 18, clubs move to 3 conferences of 6 clubs, use a structure like the upcoming Super 15, still play 16 regular round games.

2) An NRL Cup. A club plays another 8 clubs a second time. These Cup rounds are scheduled around ANZAC Test/Origin games, so test/Origin players don't play. Semi finals and final only. Test players don't play when Origin and tests are on, Origin players don't play when Origin is on.
So for this Cup, you'd have 1 round around the ANZAC Test, 6 rounds during Origin (2 either side of each game), 2 rounds towards the end of the NRL club rounds.

The advantage of a second competition around rep fixtures is that after a Test/Origin game, players would not have to back up immediately for their club.

hutch

First Grade
What's wrong with playing the Origin series after the GF.

this period is too important for internationals.

origin needs to be on a stand alone weekend, with other countries also having the opportunity to play rep football. this will happen one day!

dclayw

Juniors
this period is too important for internationals.

origin needs to be on a stand alone weekend, with other countries also having the opportunity to play rep football. this will happen one day!
How often and how many test matches are played post GF? If this is the main reason against it then why do we still play test matches during the regular season? It would take 2 weeks to complete a SOO 3 game series. We have a few weeks at the start of the year for trials, these games are essentially useless. The season could be started earlier if need be (or the season shortened) to accommodate a SOO series post GF.

The main criteria is to stop SOO messing with the NRL season. Playing the sereis outside of the NRL season is the best way as it will then have zero impact. No other solution achieves zero impact.

There are massive problems playing the series during the regular competition. Teams lose because of it, no doubt this has had an impact on who wins the premiership. The teams who won last week were the teams who had less SOO reps then the teams they played. What if one of those losing teams misses the 8 by 2 competition points. That's a simplistic example but I think you get the idea.

The GF can be a bit of an anti-climax sometimes. There is such a build and then 80 minutes later it's gone. I think there would be tremendoes interest in a SOO series to follow the GF. A lot more interest then there is now (a lot of fans are starting to lose interest in SOO, not just because QLD keep winning). A perfect way to round off the season, especially for those players/fans who didn't figure or didn't do too well during the finals series.

Eels Dude

Coach
Origin HAS to be mid season. Anyone who suggests anything else is an idiot. It's premier event held in rugby league and is a great drawcard for rugby league in general. Having it at the end of season will be an anticlimax and a lot of players will be unable to take part to injuries they've played with all season and scheduled off season surgeries. There is no way origin will generate as much interest played after the GF. It should be played mid season as it's a great promotion for the remainder of the NRL season.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Yeah SOO is at the perfect time right now, gets going after the excitement of a new season is over and finishes up as everyone is looking forward to the finals, it's perfect for the middle of the season.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The only thing they could change is having it on a Monday night instead of mid-week. That would mean players only get impacted for 1 round instead of not being able to back up for the weekend.

But I don't think it rates as well mid-week.... so who gets the final say?

BDH

Juniors
How come nobody from NSW cared about this when Brisbane gave 8+ players a series to Origin?

coolumsharkie

Referee
I believe we need to fix the issue of origin players missing club games, it is not fair and it needs to change.
Just this past weekend all the teams that lost had more players in origin then the team that defeated them, below I have 3 options, one of these needs to be introduced ASAP

On options 2 & 3, the further benefit would be with no bye’s we can increase season to 26 matches up from 24, thus increase revenue stream to all clubs, this would as well flow on with next TV contract, that there is another 16 matches to be played again further dollars.

What we have at the moment is definitely unfair to clubs who get players into origin and it needs to change, we need to create a level playing field for all teams.
I am a shark’s supporter, so this rule would not benefit us, at the moment, but I would like to have it fair for all 16 teams.

:lol:

Inferno

Coach
Clubs have the benefit of a SOO player for 23 games a season. That's not a bad trade off for losing them for 3 rounds.