What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Props owned

st.phil

Bench
This piece below sums it up - can't blame just the props but our front row was horribly exposed in the first 20 against penrith.

2) The Dragons’ season is slipping away

Don’t rule the Dragons out just yet. For the wooden spoon, that is. If the Dragons showed one thing during their 19-0 loss to Penrith on Saturday night it’s that on their day they can be as bad as any team. The ease with which the Panthers gained metres and field position in the first half was embarrassing, with the Dragons – so lacking in vitality they looked as if they’ve warmed up for the game by listening to Enya and drinking camomile tea – unwilling to get off their defensive line with any speed or purpose. Much has been made of the paucity of the Dragons’ centre and halves options (and Phil Gould must surely be questioning the Panthers’ decision to sign Jamie Soward for 2014, for he is a shadow of his former self) but worryingly for Steve Price was the ease with which the Panthers dominated the Dragons forwards. Compare Nigel Plum and Tim Grant’s combined 41 runs for 340m to Dragons starting props Dan Hunt and Michael Weyman, who made 13 runs for just 100m and were dominated in the tackle. Dragons fans are already looking forward to 2014 (and the arrival of some promising signings). Perhaps the Dragons players are as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/may/26/nrl-five-things-we-learned-this-weekend

Mr Red

First Grade
Nothing surprising there... Hunt has been awful for a few years.. One good game amongst 7 poor ones is his standard..

FlameThrower

Bench
This piece below sums it up - can't blame just the props but our front row was horribly exposed in the first 20 against penrith.

2) The Dragons? season is slipping away

Don?t rule the Dragons out just yet. For the wooden spoon, that is. If the Dragons showed one thing during their 19-0 loss to Penrith on Saturday night it?s that on their day they can be as bad as any team. The ease with which the Panthers gained metres and field position in the first half was embarrassing, with the Dragons ? so lacking in vitality they looked as if they?ve warmed up for the game by listening to Enya and drinking camomile tea ? unwilling to get off their defensive line with any speed or purpose. Much has been made of the paucity of the Dragons? centre and halves options (and Phil Gould must surely be questioning the Panthers? decision to sign Jamie Soward for 2014, for he is a shadow of his former self) but worryingly for Steve Price was the ease with which the Panthers dominated the Dragons forwards. Compare Nigel Plum and Tim Grant?s combined 41 runs for 340m to Dragons starting props Dan Hunt and Michael Weyman, who made 13 runs for just 100m and were dominated in the tackle. Dragons fans are already looking forward to 2014 (and the arrival of some promising signings). Perhaps the Dragons players are as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/may/26/nrl-five-things-we-learned-this-weekend
Jezzz making headlines across the world! For all the wrong reasons.....

stg666

Juniors
how far away are kem seru and the lolo twins from first grade . we really need a couple of big nasty units that put the wind up the opposition .

Dragons_Head

Juniors
The ease with which the Panthers gained metres and field position in the first half was embarrassing, with the Dragons unwilling to get off their defensive line with any speed or purpose. Much has been made of the paucity of the Dragons? centre and halves options (and Phil Gould must surely be questioning the Panthers? decision to sign Jamie Soward for 2014, for he is a shadow of his former self) but worryingly for Steve Price was the ease with which the Panthers dominated the Dragons forwards. Compare Nigel Plum and Tim Grant?s combined 41 runs for 340m to Dragons starting props Dan Hunt and Michael Weyman, who made 13 runs for just 100m and were dominated in the tackle.

This has been a regular habit all season, not just evident in this game. We are slow off the line, we can't put any attacking player on their backs in a tackle giving them a quick play the ball each time and i'm pretty sure we concede the most metres in the comp. Our forwards (besides merrin) have been inconsistent in regards to metres gained also. It all comes down to lack of intensity and discipline.

On a side note, soward is a shadow of his former self due to our forward pack being dominated. You can see how much better he plays when our forwards are rolling forward and not getting bashed.

ghostface

Juniors
Overall our team is soft (It pains me to say). We lack genuine aggression. Steve Price has really failed to instill the attitude needed for us to win consistently.

possm

Coach
The whole coaching staff have to take a hit for the problem but yes, the buck stops with Price.

Mr Red

First Grade
Overall our team is soft (It pains me to say). We lack genuine aggression. Steve Price has really failed to instill the attitude needed for us to win consistently.

yep.
and this was mentioned on numerous times in this forum when we let saffy, costigan and smith leave... and then Beau scott last year.
seems everyone see this problem except for the coaching staff..

ghostface

Juniors
yep.
and this was mentioned on numerous times in this forum when we let saffy, costigan and smith leave... and then Beau scott last year.
seems everyone see this problem except for the coaching staff..

A Soft pack was the first thing Bennett aimed to remedy upon his arrival and it's the first thing that was reintroduced after his departure.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Weyman has played Origin and Hunt was on the verge prior to Price. They are talking of Rein as a potential NSW hooker for the future as well.

FundyDragon

Bench
A Soft pack was the first thing Bennett aimed to remedy upon his arrival and it's the first thing that was reintroduced after his departure.

It is hard to argue with that comment.

I remember hearing Bennett saying something to the affect of "There is a perception out there about the forwards being soft"

karuah6

Juniors
Here we go again. Did not see the coach on the field making all the errors & having no go forward.

Mr Red

First Grade
Here we go again. Did not see the coach on the field making all the errors & having no go forward.

correct... however its the coach that allows this to happen for 18 months, and not only picks the same players each week, but takes it a step further by playing them out of position.
why do you suggest that players under a different coach performed a lot better then under the current coach?

- respect?

- knowing that a few poor performances will mean that they will get dropped as opposed to now knowing they will get picked each week regardless?

- no game plan now, resulting in more errors due to confusion and not knowing their roles on the field?

- general lack of aggression and intensity now under a different coach..

sure as you said the coach isnt dropping the balls on the field, but its all the lack of preparation and planning in the week leading up to the game that causes the dropped balls...

ghostface

Juniors
Also just an observation. Our team has lots of soldiers but no generals.

We seemed to lack leadership on Saturday. I'm not having a dig at Ben Creagh, i just think that the loss of experience over the last year shouldn't be understated.

karuah6

Juniors
correct... however its the coach that allows this to happen for 18 months, and not only picks the same players each week, but takes it a step further by playing them out of position.
why do you suggest that players under a different coach performed a lot better then under the current coach?

- respect?

- knowing that a few poor performances will mean that they will get dropped as opposed to now knowing they will get picked each week regardless?

- no game plan now, resulting in more errors due to confusion and not knowing their roles on the field?

- general lack of aggression and intensity now under a different coach..

sure as you said the coach isnt dropping the balls on the field, but its all the lack of preparation and planning in the week leading up to the game that causes the dropped balls...

A good reply. Perhaps some of your comments are true & I agree that some players need to be dropped in view of their performance against Penrith. I know that we are trying to improve player roster for next year but in the meantime while we have some good young players coming through, are they better that what's in first grade.
I am not a football coach but an old bloke like OT & can see that we are not performing to what I would like but I am not going to always blame a coach when players are not playing to their capabilities.
At least Fien is trying to set up play close to the ruck but all I can see is Soward continually passing the ball to someone else to set up the play. Sure he can kick, pass a long ball but so ca others & that is why I would like to see King partner Fien in the halves so that both players can try & set up forwards & backs so that at least we can put on some attack.
Our half combination is terrible & I feel that at present is our main problem. Dont try & tell people there is no game plan, that is a silly statement. Suggest players keep to the game plan, maybe it might improve the performance. But you must agree that Penrith did in fact play very well even with the help of the refs.

saint.nick

Coach
A good reply. Perhaps some of your comments are true & I agree that some players need to be dropped in view of their performance against Penrith. I know that we are trying to improve player roster for next year but in the meantime while we have some good young players coming through, are they better that what's in first grade.
I am not a football coach but an old bloke like OT & can see that we are not performing to what I would like but I am not going to always blame a coach when players are not playing to their capabilities.
At least Fien is trying to set up play close to the ruck but all I can see is Soward continually passing the ball to someone else to set up the play. Sure he can kick, pass a long ball but so ca others & that is why I would like to see King partner Fien in the halves so that both players can try & set up forwards & backs so that at least we can put on some attack.
Our half combination is terrible & I feel that at present is our main problem. Dont try & tell people there is no game plan, that is a silly statement. Suggest players keep to the game plan, maybe it might improve the performance. But you must agree that Penrith did in fact play very well even with the help of the refs.

I tried to reflect Mr Red's comments in another threat last night and it's absolutely right. Sure, the coach is allowed to escape the game if the team has an odd day of dropped balls, intensity and etc. But this is consistent under Price, and he needs to take blame

Mr Red

First Grade
has anyone noticed the amount of dropped balls that are the result of Fien (in most cases) throwing pressure passes to runners already with defenders sweating on them, or when they are already about to make colllision with the defensive line... how that is allowed to happen week after week is beyond me...
sure all players make mistakes, or drop a ball, or run a bad attacking play... even the storm get it wrong sometimes...
however its the test of the ability of the coach to identify this and make sure its fixed for the next week, and under Price this doesnt seem to be happening..

karuah6

Juniors
has anyone noticed the amount of dropped balls that are the result of Fien (in most cases) throwing pressure passes to runners already with defenders sweating on them, or when they are already about to make colllision with the defensive line... how that is allowed to happen week after week is beyond me...
sure all players make mistakes, or drop a ball, or run a bad attacking play... even the storm get it wrong sometimes...
however its the test of the ability of the coach to identify this and make sure its fixed for the next week, and under Price this doesnt seem to be happening..

Ok. He has also been putting some players through gaps close to the ruck which have resulted in tries or near tries. I just feel that he is trying his guts out every week however I do not think Soward is matching his efforts.
In having King in the halves instead of Soward, we have a person that can also put players through gaps, kick in general play, kick goals & tackle well.
As I said I am not a coach but can see where this may benefit the team close to the ruck. We also need a good attacking centre & maybe Quinlan can do this for this season.