What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proud

Dezziedc

Juniors
im not saying that im not surprised of their improvement but being proud and saints actually winning a game when the opposition is at full strength IS an achievement

4th last team losing by 4 points to the top team who was full strength IS an achievement compared to what we have been dishing up to top 4 teams over the past 2 months. If a few of those passes stuck who knows what would have happened. It is a massive improvement.

Now dino you negative nancy, get back in your hole. And take those other depressed tools with you.

hazzbeen

Bench
Much better effort tonight.I am critical of Rein there were times tonight near Penriths line that Benji was set and ready to make a play ,Rein looked at him a couple of times and went the other way.You could see Benji was not happy. Again it looked like Benji was trying to hard but again I dont mind that he is trying things..........

Minh

First Grade
im not saying that im not surprised of their improvement but being proud and saints actually winning a game when the opposition is at full strength IS an achievement

It's all good dino you're entitled to your opinion, everybody loves to win, sometimes you win other times you don't and just be pleased the team didn't fold like a deck of cards. We'll get there.......

TheRev

First Grade
o Couldnt be happier with that effort, I thought we would cop a hiding without Morris/Dugan/Merrin (and Frizell gone early) & up against the competition leaders at full strength. But we played brilliantly to stay in the game for 80 minutes (and really we only lost on goalkicking with as usual several tries gone begging).

o Benji still has heaps of improvement but its so weird to watch a half run and actually create opportunities with players running off him.. how on earth did we cope without a creative half for so long?

o Widdop def still finding his place, hes still the right man to partner Benji, and creates opportunities in a different way.. sort of a more structured approach necessary with him.. frankly though I want it in Benji's hands as much as possible.

o Rein - had a solid game tonight, hes starting to pass & run both ways, I assume Mary has been working on this with him, why has this just begun now!?

o Runciman looked like a great inclusion, even if its on the Wing, hes a big boy and not out of place, but Mata'utai is good to, both nice to have in the squad as backups, Quinlan was solid too.

o I was going to say this last week, but one thing im liking about Mary taking over is finally blokes were being shifted into different positions (such as Quinlan), non-performers were axed &/or shipped out of the club, Reins game is developing, the team is starting to look more dangerous and structured, but Mary has been at the club for a long time, surely he talks with Price... is it as I suspected for many years that Price was literally incapable of not playing favourites, reading the game & addressing team issues? And stubborn enough to ignore any help? Just doesnt make any sense how he survived for nrly 3 seasons.

Disclaimer: No idea if Mary has what it takes to be a longterm coach, just happy with the direction hes taking the club in these early weeks, stuff that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Minh

First Grade
2014 is over Mick.
Look at our draw and stats.
Piss off Mary / Doust and co. and rebuild.

Tru, I did say not to go hard on Saints 1-12.:lol:........

Just kidding friend, I know your hurting but at least Mary has the team performing much better than Price was. In saying that I'm pretty sure an experienced coach is still what's needed to rebuild this team.:)

AdamStoy

Juniors
Pretty much.. I can now see there's attacking stucture, players are having a little more room to move. I think we are going to see a different team in the coming weeks. Maybe, just maybe, might sneak into the finals if we're lucky.

TheRev

First Grade
Pretty much.. I can now see there's attacking stucture, players are having a little more room to move. I think we are going to see a different team in the coming weeks. Maybe, just maybe, might sneak into the finals if we're lucky.
Exactly, how much better is it watching the games now? Shame its taken this long to Dice Price, we will be lucky to squeeze into the 8 (even if we turn it around asap), but im looking forward to the ride, and the development of our team around Benji & perhaps Quinlan.

Minh

First Grade
Exactly, how much better is it watching the games now? Shame its taken this long to Dice Price, we will be lucky to squeeze into the 8 (even if we turn it around asap), but im looking forward to the ride, and the development of our team around Benji & perhaps Quinlan.

Agree Rev, agree....

dragonreddy

Juniors
4th last team losing by 4 points to the top team who was full strength IS an achievement compared to what we have been dishing up to top 4 teams over the past 2 months. If a few of those passes stuck who knows what would have happened. It is a massive improvement.

Now dino you negative nancy, get back in your hole. And take those other depressed tools with you.

Yeah maybe the NRL should stop awarding 2 competition points for a win and just give everyone an ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for turning up to play .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints played a depleted Sharks and won 30-0, nobody gave them credit. This weekend they played the league leaders which were at full strength, at their home ground and lost only to goal kicking. They are definitely improving which is good to see. They are looking more like a footy team now than they did a month ago.

At least they are not looking like wooden spoon contenders anymore. Not saying they will make the 8 but they look like they will win more games that we thought a month ago.

TheRev

First Grade
Saints played a depleted Sharks and won 30-0, nobody gave them credit. This weekend they played the league leaders which were at full strength, at their home ground and lost only to goal kicking. They are definitely improving which is good to see. They are looking more like a footy team now than they did a month ago.

At least they are not looking like wooden spoon contenders anymore. Not saying they will make the 8 but they look like they will win more games that we thought a month ago.
spot on.. and imagine if Duges/Merrin/Morris played and Frizzell didnt go off so early.. thats the class we were missing (and we still only lost on goalkicking), granted we turned up to play tonight and Penrith werent amazing.

Im a bit surprised by some of the negativity since last night, especially around benji, given his recent return to the game and only being with the squad for 2-3 weeks, you should be excited ppl, this guy is a freak we can build around.

Dragonbaal

Juniors
Yes some positives, but still 4th last ....I think the "brave" reference may be to where we are on ladder?

Come on stop being so negative-they played with heart last night and without dugan, merrin, morris, not to mention we still dont have Farrell, Stockwell and lost arguably our best forward this year Frizzelle. I thought there was much more effort in the defence, maybe not always the execution in either attack or defence but at least they had a dig. Penrith were at full strength and their forward pack definitely did not get over the top of us.

Why didn't Garvey play? Rein was improved and at least tried a few things from dummy half.

I am proud of them, and yes, we are still 4th last but still only 4 points out of the 8. Could be worse we could be last!!

Dragonbaal

Juniors
agree slippery, people just continuously want to be negative-it wasnt just benji who may have only cost the game, florrie dropped the ball with the line wide open, Widdop has to improve his goal kicking, but the effort was there and that is pleasing in itself.

Godz Illa

Coach
Can't fathom even faint praise for Rein. When he's out there it's like we're driving with the handbrake on. Poor options, wasted plays and slow distribution. He is awful. I'd drop him without hesitation. Pumipi is improving every week abd Garvey could use the minutes.

Dragonbaal

Juniors
Can't fathom even faint praise for Rein. When he's out there it's like we're driving with the handbrake on. Poor options, wasted plays and slow distribution. He is awful. I'd drop him without hesitation. Pumipi is improving every week abd Garvey could use the minutes.

I was not praising him I said he played a bit better than he has but it would have garvey and pumipi any day over him

TruSaint

Referee
Tru, I did say not to go hard on Saints 1-12.:lol:........

Just kidding friend, I know your hurting but at least Mary has the team performing much better than Price was. In saying that I'm pretty sure an experienced coach is still what's needed to rebuild this team.:)

This.
You did matey 1-12...
:D

Dezziedc

Juniors
Odd error or shocker. I think Marshall cost us the game last night.

I think you are right Willow. But I also think he is part of the reason we got that close in the end. Each week the attack is showing some signs of life and creativity and I believe it is due to Marshall. The guy takes on the line, puts the defence in 2 minds and draws defenders. His passing game can be slick and his kicking has been pretty good.

Once he settles into the team a bit more, I think those errors will decrease and the attack will fire. Especially in combination with Duges - no matter where he plays.

Lethal25

Juniors
One aspect I'm not proud of is that Penrith had the ball in Saints 20 early on and scored twice! Aside from that I concur with Mary in thinking it was a much improved performance, coming from quite a low base however