What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS3 revealed

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
e3-2005-ps3-official-20050516044920450-000.jpg

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html

I want it.

Radman

Juniors
I've seen that. it doesn't look too bad and shouldn't feel too bad in the hands but I prefer the PS2 controller. I just want the Street Fighter layout.:)

Jordan

Juniors
I never thought the PS2/PS1 controller was all that great tbh.. I've always found that the Gamecube and Xbox S controllers mould into your hands much better.

I'm glad Sony have changed the controller... The only difference in the experience between the PS1 and 2 was the graphics.. They've used the same controller for the past 10 years or so, so it's probably time for a change..

Caged Panther

First Grade
I don't mind the look of machine, although the black coloured one looks better, the controller looks absolutely terrible.

I've seen some screens (not sure what was prerendered and what wasn't) and while they look good nothing looks any better than what has been shown of the xbox 360 games.

Jordan

Juniors
George Foreman Makes Surprise Appearance at PS3 Conference
--Associated Press--

Today at the unveiling of the new Sony PS3 hardware, Sony shocked the audience by announcing their alliance with George Foreman and bringing him to the stage to demonstrate the previously unimaginable features of the incredible new hardware.

"Yeah, ya see, it does 2 teraflops, and also cuts the fat!" Foreman demonstrated by cooking up a couple Foreman burgers and feeding them to the press.

The new PS3 Foreman Grill allows for super-accurate cooking times using its revolutionary cell processor.

sonyforeman.jpg

Caged Panther

First Grade
most estimates suggest about 299-399 US. The original playstation the playstation 2 and xbox all dropped into australia about the $699-$799 but with the stiff competition expected between these two I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox in particular get in under that price.

strong_latte

Juniors
Caged Panther said:
I don't mind the look of machine, although the black coloured one looks better, the controller looks absolutely terrible.

I've seen some screens (not sure what was prerendered and what wasn't) and while they look good nothing looks any better than what has been shown of the xbox 360 games.

I just watched the E3 conference... the PS3's specs pretty much smash the XBOX 360 all over the park! It looks so good it's scary! And it'll run on blue lazer DVD's (can hold 50 gigs).

I think I'll be waiting for the PS3.

It looks alright....but for me the big pluses are the number of games it will have and just the power of the system.....from what Ive read its going to be almost half a generation ahead of the XBox 360.

If Sony can make it so you can personalise the system like XBox is doing with face plates, being able to download ongs to listen in games...and if they can get the online set up to be as simple as the XBox.....they win.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
1 year ago i would of said the ps2 controller was the best in ther world..

After buying an xbox, the s controller has felt perfect..the thumbstick layout is soo much better then the ps2 controller.

Most of the ps3 specs have been known for sometime..its going to be a beast of a console lol.

Ill buy both though, xbox360 will offer better online gameplay and comes out sooner.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I will definately wait for the PS3.

Madden 2007 will be worth the wait...

Question, I heard once the PS3 is released you will be able to simply download games that are not normally available to the gamer who only use PAL (UK and AUS), any truth to this rumour? For e.g. I would be able to download the NCAA Football 2007 game only released in the USA on NTSC.

I got NCAA Football 2005 (from www.realgamers.com.au) using a 'Slide Card' which tricks the PAL into thinking it is a NTSC version, though this feature is something I for one hope rings true.

Cheers

Caged Panther

First Grade
strong_latte said:
I just watched the E3 conference... the PS3's specs pretty much smash the XBOX 360 all over the park! It looks so good it's scary! And it'll run on blue lazer DVD's (can hold 50 gigs).

on the specs, sony is blowing smoke out their buttholes (as is MS for that matter) the figures they give are theoretical maximums that each component can achieve it says nothing for how they will work together or what it takes for programmers to get them to do that. It's all about the balance between components and whether programers can get the most out of them. In reality the two (PS3 and Xbox360) will be much closer that pure technical numbers suggest.

As for the use of blue ray discs, it offers no clear advantages at the moment, sure being able to put 50gigs on a single disc would be wonderful but the fact is most games don't get much over 5gigs so the 9gig discs the Xbox 360 and revolution will use should be fine for now.

strong_latte

Juniors
Caged Panther said:
on the specs, sony is blowing smoke out their buttholes (as is MS for that matter) the figures they give are theoretical maximums that each component can achieve it says nothing for how they will work together or what it takes for programmers to get them to do that. It's all about the balance between components and whether programers can get the most out of them. In reality the two (PS3 and Xbox360) will be much closer that pure technical numbers suggest.

As for the use of blue ray discs, it offers no clear advantages at the moment, sure being able to put 50gigs on a single disc would be wonderful but the fact is most games don't get much over 5gigs so the 9gig discs the Xbox 360 and revolution will use should be fine for now.

Still though, I have to say that being an owner of all the current gen of platforms, I'm definately most impressed with sony's PS3 so far... The Blue Ray technology may not be totally utilised initially, but as the console comes into it's own I'm sure we'll start seeing the full potential of unlocked in unbeleivable ways! I can't wait to see nVidia's PC line of the RSX!

Generalzod

Immortal
Question, I heard once the PS3 is released you will be able to simply download games that are not normally available to the gamer who only use PAL (UK and AUS), any truth to this rumour? For e.g. I would be able to download the NCAA Football 2007 game only released in the USA on NTSC.

That's probably to stop people from modifying there units....

Jordan

Juniors
Did you guys see the Killzone video? Unbelievable... There have been mixed reports whether it was CG or not, but if that was in game.... wow...

Jordan said:
Did you guys see the Killzone video? Unbelievable... There have been mixed reports whether it was CG or not, but if that was in game.... wow...

Thats the only way to describe it....WOW!

If find it hard to be impressed by things in games these days but that was VERY impressive.

It got me thinking....soon video games will have the production costs of movies.