What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Punching Above Our Weight - Rep Players Top 8 2019

84 Baby

Referee
502CA81900000578-6168747-Darren_who_has_been_in_a_relationship_with_Kate_for_12_years_has-a-94_1536940014735.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
it's not just TPA's

players will take massive unders to go to the top clubs like storm & roosters and play under the best coaches + be surrounded by rep players

Not sure about that

But they do have guys go there with not much reputation or star quality, so they wont be on huge coin, then 12-18 months later they are stars eg Ado Carr, and more recently Papaenhuyzen, Olam

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe they don't become star quality but just show how good a solid first grader can look with a strong team around him.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Maybe they don't become star quality but just show how good a solid first grader can look with a strong team around him.

Not only that, but a good strong core of players is going to improve a solid players game a shit load more than a bunch of average guys would. It's much easier to learn how to be better from those who know how to be better.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Not all good players are experienced. Look at the Broncos.

Sure, but if you accept that experience is desirable, there must be something that experience brings beyond just experience it's self. I would suggest it would be that with experience comes knowledge.

And knowledge has to learned.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It could also be improved instinctual reactions (such as anticipation) on the field. I wouldn't think these could be taught to less experienced players.

Eelogical

Referee
Sivo didn't become the season's leading try scorer by accident. He's possessed with the ability to learn and improve his game by listening to the coaching staff and learning from his mistakes on the field. He certainly has been taught to anticipate more.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It could also be improved instinctual reactions (such as anticipation) on the field. I wouldn't think these could be taught to less experienced players.

If "instinct" is improved through experience, then it is learned. If it is learned, it can be taught.

That doesn't mean it can be learned or taught to just any merkin though.

And yeah, I understand that it's a bit of a juxtaposition in terminology to use instinct and learned in that way, hence the inverted commas around instinct. because in the terms of how you use it here, it is a learned behaviour, and not really instinct at all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If "instinct" is improved through experience, then it is learned. If it is learned, it can be taught.
That's not entirely true. Some things can only be learned by experience, through repetition.

The 10 thousand hours rule is an oversimplification but the idea holds.
That doesn't mean it can be learned or taught to just any merkin though.

And yeah, I understand that it's a bit of a juxtaposition in terminology to use instinct and learned in that way, hence the inverted commas around instinct. because in the terms of how you use it here, it is a learned behaviour, and not really instinct at all.
Well I didn't say instinct, I said instinctual, by which I mean that it becomes so ingrained that it resembles instinct. Obviously I don't mean it is knowledge the player is born with because I made clear the player had to learn it through experience.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's not entirely true. Some things can only be learned by experience, through repetition.

The 10 thousand hours rule is an oversimplification but the idea holds.

Well I didn't say instinct, I said instinctual, by which I mean that it becomes so ingrained that it resembles instinct. Obviously I don't mean it is knowledge the player is born with because I made clear the player had to learn it through experience.

It doesn't matter how it's learned, the fact that it can be learned means it can be taught.

If the teaching is simply "do it again", then that is what it is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It doesn't matter how it's learned, the fact that it can be learned means it can be taught.

If the teaching is simply "do it again", then that is what it is.
Then it's not very helpful teaching for a practical skill. Blokes would learn this stuff with repeated exposure whether they had some helpful merkin 'teaching' them or not. But if they only had a teacher and no practice they would learn nothing. That's the difference.

It's theory vs practice. Two different realms.
Yeah it is. Some people learn differently to others. You can try and teach some people something and they will never get it until through their own experience, the penny finally drops. Others pick things up immediately after having something explained to them. Depends on how your brain is wired I spose.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wouldn't it help though if someone pointed out the things they should practice?
That's why they practice in-game situations at training. I dare say experience at training is worth about as much as experience during a game. Maybe less, but at training you get the benefit of being able to recreate any situation you want. In-game events happen organically, except when the corrupt NRL are staging a massive conspiracy to rig games just to f**k us over. All this despite them being obviously incompetent.

Latest posts