What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Punching Above Our Weight - Rep Players Top 8 2019

Bandwagon

Staff member
Then it's not very helpful teaching for a practical skill. Blokes would learn this stuff with repeated exposure whether they had some helpful merkin 'teaching' them or not. But if they only had a teacher and no practice they would learn nothing. That's the difference.

Again though if we take it back to the point of learning from those around you, the lesson might well not be in learning the skill it's self, but in learning how to best learn the skill. A lesson like "do it again" might seem overly simple, but the underlying lesson there can be one of application,, dedication, and determination, and / or that near enough isn't good enough.

When you hear reports from players about the way the Storm approach their training, it appears it's these kinds of things that have been driven by a core group that sets them apart, and would explain why a constant stream of Nevilles look like champions in their squad, but rarely reach that height once they leave.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Again though if we take it back to the point of learning from those around you, the lesson might well not be in learning the skill it's self, but in learning how to best learn the skill. A lesson like "do it again" might seem overly simple, but the underlying lesson there can be one of application,, dedication, and determination, and / or that near enough isn't good enough.

When you hear reports from players about the way the Storm approach their training, it appears it's these kinds of things that have been driven by a core group that sets them apart, and would explain why a constant stream of Nevilles look like champions in their squad, but rarely reach that height once they leave.
I'm sure there's a benefit from being surrounded by merkins who know what they're doing and who enforce high standards. But the fact so many of these players look ordinary when they leave such a club shows that the benefits aren't really from whatever they learned while they were there.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm sure there's a benefit from being surrounded by merkins who know what they're doing and who enforce high standards. But the fact so many of these players look ordinary when they leave such a club shows that the benefits aren't really from whatever they learned while they were there.

You can "un-learn" just as easy as you can learn. and people will tend to adopt the behaviors of those around them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. I'd say that's a much bigger factor in leaders improving the players around them than anything those players learn and subsequently forget when they move to another club.

T.S Quint

Coach
Agreed. I'd say that's a much bigger factor in leaders improving the players around them than anything those players learn and subsequently forget when they move to another club.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did simply forget that stuff though.
Rugby League players are pretty f**ken dumb.

Latest posts