What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qatar Sheikh Wanting To Buy NRL Club

JDHD

Juniors
I hope this Michael Ibrahim bloke is not related to the infamous John & Sam Ibrahim underworld family. I don't wat to see any future TPA's be in episodes of Underbelly on TV.
Imagine the conversation if & when the Sheikh asks for the removal of Doust!!
"Leave it with me Boss"

No, different Ibrahim. I had the same thought too but from what I've been about to find out they're not related in any way.

KiamaSaint

Coach
A lesson my mother taught me- things that sound too good to be true always are just that.
Some mega-rich dude is set to buy the Dragons, sack the board and make all our dreams come true?
Sounds too good to be true.....
I would love to see it happen but yeah I think many are jumping the gun here. Wholeheartedly hope I am wrong. All would be forgiven if the board could broker this deal.

BennyV

Referee
If he wants to buy the Dragons, it's because of his mate, that Michael Ibrahim bloke, who's a massive Dragons fan.

As an aside, I'd actually rather have an owner who doesn't know shit about league. Dave Smith was the best CEO the NRL ever had. He didn't even known Ben Barba's name but he did more for the game in three years than Gallop did in his entire tenure precisely because he wasn't beholden to the bullshit power dynamics and traditions of the NRL.

Mind you, how bad is it when a man who has worked his entire life in high finance with Bank of Scotland comes over here and leaves three years later because "sorry, too much politics for me".
Agree with this in principal - however employing a banker/business man as CEO and being bought out by an oil tycoon are very different propositions. I'd love this to happen IF this guy is intent on creating an empire out of our club - i.e. Being the face and financial backing of the club while employing businessmen to control the decisions and direction of the club.

If we are to become a play thing for him to fiddle with and manipulate, we may be moving out of the pot and into the fire...

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Agree with this in principal - however employing a banker/business man as CEO and being bought out by an oil tycoon are very different propositions. I'd love this to happen IF this guy is intent on creating an empire out of our club - i.e. Being the face and financial backing of the club while employing businessmen to control the decisions and direction of the club.

If we are to become a play thing for him to fiddle with and manipulate, we may be moving out of the pot and into the fire...
Totally disagree nobody is going to invest millions in our club to see it fail ,won't happen the sky's the limit if he's willing to invest his money I'm sure he will make sure his money is used wisely.so good bye bye bye .any old boys etc etc etc .

possm

Coach
A lesson my mother taught me- things that sound too good to be true always are just that.
Some mega-rich dude is set to buy the Dragons, sack the board and make all our dreams come true?
Sounds too good to be true.....
Hasn't he done something similar in European Soccer?

SEAT 1A

Bench
If he wants to buy the Dragons, it's because of his mate, that Michael Ibrahim bloke, who's a massive Dragons fan.

As an aside, I'd actually rather have an owner who doesn't know shit about league. Dave Smith was the best CEO the NRL ever had. He didn't even known Ben Barba's name but he did more for the game in three years than Gallop did in his entire tenure precisely because he wasn't beholden to the bullshit power dynamics and traditions of the NRL.

Mind you, how bad is it when a man who has worked his entire life in high finance with Bank of Scotland comes over here and leaves three years later because "sorry, too much politics for me".

Couldn't agree with you more JDHD and he got replaced with Greenburg, unbelievable.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Too many old boys at all levels. Smith was great ............. now the NRL can't even manage TPA's.

It's a cabal Possm, couldn't be bothered to hide the TPA rorting.

Go Roosters, one team town in BNE and if MEL didn't have a team full of rep players, they would have 10 people watching them.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
This reminds me of the Nathan Tinkler -Knights fiasco. Rich enthusiastic benevolent dictator takes over, NRL happy to see the money, then when the dictator starts losing money he is no longer benevolent or enthusiastic and buggers off leaving a mess for someone else to clean up.

I am wary of these sort of blokes. The media likes to portray them as white knights riding to the rescue. More often than not they are looking to make a quick buck from sale of assets or tax income write-downs.

BennyV

Referee
This reminds me of the Nathan Tinkler -Knights fiasco. Rich enthusiastic benevolent dictator takes over, NRL happy to see the money, then when the dictator starts losing money he is no longer benevolent or enthusiastic and buggers off leaving a mess for someone else to clean up.

I am wary of these sort of blokes. The media likes to portray them as white knights riding to the rescue. More often than not they are looking to make a quick buck from sale of assets or tax income write-downs.
Yeah, I dont think this guy is going to start losing money any time soon...

Bench
Let’s say an offer was made to buy the team and invest heavily in ground improvement etc.etc.
Who would approve the sale. NRL? Our Board?.

JDHD

Juniors

Tinkler was essentially a cashed up bogan though lol

JDHD

Juniors
As much as they think they do the board and CEO DO NOT OWN THE CLUB

And as I've said before on this thread, if this doesn't happen, it won't be because the board stop him, it'll be because he realises that NRL clubs are a money pit.

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting reading on Wikipedia about overseas buyers of English soccer clubs - with both good and bad results . Manchester City in particular was bought by a oil rich gentleman . Lost quite a bit of money in the first couple of years and then bounced backed again , mainly due to the corporate side of affairs .

At this point this is only a rumour and nothing more , but it certainly gives us something to dream about . Shall keep my fingers crossed in the hope that there is indeed more to this then what we know at present .

Latest posts