What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD Back Line 2005?

Corbin

Juniors
i still think hunt maybe in the centres if not steven bell..... berrigan :arrow: 17.

LESStar58

Referee
Fien will behind a very strong forward pack at the Warriors next year with the likes of Price, Wiki and Betham. if he plays well he should be considered but Prince did a good job this year...give him a go and if he doesn't perform then bring Fein in.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Fien will behind a very strong forward pack at the Warriors next year with the likes of Price, Wiki and Betham. if he plays well he should be considered but Prince did a good job this year...give him a go and if he doesn't perform then bring Fein in.

You can add Brett Seymour to that list too! He was marked this year as the one the selectors want to be the no 7! But he has to saty on the field! Fien was fantastic in the finals and if he plays taht well all year he would have to be the one picked! :clap:

Grantwhy

Juniors
I might be accused of being one-eyed Cowboys fan, but I'm going to put up Chris Sheppard's name as a candidate for halfback.

I personally think he is a better playmaker than Fien and possible Prince.

For the Cowboys, Fien has a better kicking game and is a better defender (somthing Shep can work on), but when Sheppard was halfback the Cowboys were more threatening inside the opposition's 30.

I wouldn't be surprise that with a good start to 2005 Sheppard's name starts to get mentioned :).

lockyno1

Post Whore
I might be accused of being one-eyed Cowboys fan, but I'm going to put up Chris Sheppard's name as a candidate for halfback.

The only way he will play halfback is if EVRY other halfback is injured! He is not Origin standard! :roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
He is twice the player Seymour is and you mentioned him, goose!

No he is on par with Seymour! But EVERYONE knows that the Queensland selectors like the way Seymour plays with his kicking game! And he has one thing going for him....he plays alongside the Queensland captain and 5/8- Lockyer! It's always helpful when you have you halves for the same side! Look don't get me wrong Sheppard is a good club player but he has to improve a lot to be Origin standard! Even you can't deny that when Sheppard got injured the Cowboys improved when Fien was in the 7! :roll:

borat

Bench
Fien, Sheppard, Prince, Seymour

When was the last time Qld had 4 first grade halfbacks to choose from?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
I've always felt that he should've been halfback for Queensland in 2003. Easily the form halfback out of all Qlders that year.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I've always felt that he should've been halfback for Queensland in 2003. Easily the form halfback out of all Qlders that year.

The one proplem with Shephard is his kicking game. His running game and attacking game are fine, but his kicking lets him down! That's why the Cowboys were much better when Fien was playing! :clap:

Azkatro

First Grade
We also have Lockyer and Smith (and also Bowen if he gets picked at fullback) to kick, so that shouldn't be as big a priority in this case.

lockyno1

Post Whore
We also have Lockyer and Smith (and also Bowen if he gets picked at fullback) to kick, so that shouldn't be as big a priority in this case.

The reality, is however, your HALFBACK needs to have at least a short kicking game! I was not talking about long kicking because both Lockyer/Smith/Hunt can do that! But short kicking needs to be there and currently he is not good enough considering there are better halfbacks with a good short kicking game and Fien/Seymour/Prince/Thurston ALL have better short kicking games than Sheppard currently. Thats not saying he can't improve that and be the halfback next year, but at the moment i'd say his kicking game is inadequate for State of Origin!

Azkatro

First Grade
lockyno1 said:

The reality, is however, your HALFBACK needs to have at least a short kicking game! I was not talking about long kicking because both Lockyer/Smith/Hunt can do that! But short kicking needs to be there and currently he is not good enough considering there are better halfbacks with a good short kicking game and Fien/Seymour/Prince/Thurston ALL have better short kicking games than Sheppard currently. Thats not saying he can't improve that and be the halfback next year, but at the moment i'd say his kicking game is inadequate for State of Origin!

Sheppard has an ace short kicking game! The Cowboys have scored heaps of tries off his short kicks in the lsat couple of years - grubbers and chips. If I was worried about anything halfback-wise for him it'd be his passing, I don't think it's *quite* up to that standard yet.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Cowboys have scored heaps of tries off his short kicks in the lsat couple of years - grubbers and chips.

Maybe but not nearly as much as prince, seymour, and fien! It's just not AS good! Look I have not watched every Cowboys game but from when I have seen him, his short kicking game has been average! That is all I am going on!

Kasper

Bench
His short kicking game is twice as good as Fieny's. His long kicking game needs some improvement as does his passing game.

elyod138

Bench
His short kicking game is one of his best assets, he is creative with his short kicks and goes right up to the line to kick, fien has no short kicking game besides kicking it over the in-goal, thats why david myles was doing a fair bit of short kicking towards the end of the year.

Grantwhy

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
The Cowboys have scored heaps of tries off his short kicks in the lsat couple of years - grubbers and chips.

Maybe but not nearly as much as prince, seymour, and fien! It's just not AS good! Look I have not watched every Cowboys game but from when I have seen him, his short kicking game has been average! That is all I am going on!

Sheppard played about as many games (as starting halfback) in the Cowboys 2003 season as Fien did in the Cowboys 2004 season.

The 2003 team didn't perform as well or have the depth of the 2004 team but did score 12 more tries than the 2004 team. That teams halfback (Sheppard) has to be partially responsible for that yes?

They (the 2003 team) did also concede 21 more tries but I'd say that the 2004 team's better defence was due to more than just Fien's being a better defender that Sheppard currently is.

Another thing about Sheppard is that he is still young (23) and will(/should) improve over the next 3-4 years.

I really don't think the Cowboys are going to be worse off if they play Sheppard as halfback, and do belive that if they do that they will be a more threatening team in attack.

but that just an opinion :).

Latest posts