What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld changes to Aged based comps in 2024

rightleftin

Juniors
Possibly of zero interest to you NSWRL folk but thought I'd share it anyway :)

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2023/08/29/qrl-aligns-pathways-and-strengthens-community-leagues/

On a side note has a NSW rep team played against Qld Residents or Qld Rangers in the last couple of years ?
Are there any local competitions for under 20's or under 21's in Qld? In NSW there were only 10 teams playing in a sydney wide under 20 comp this year, down from 32 teams in 4 comps the previous year. It is getting hard to justify an U21 comp played by NRL clubs when there is virtually no one playing in that age range anymore.

No NSW Residents for a few years now.

ALX25

Bench
Looking forward to seeing what Ikin has in plan for the rest of QLD and not just SEQ. Will see plenty of QLD talent head south and rightly so.

The Partisan

Are there any local competitions for under 20's or under 21's in Qld? In NSW there were only 10 teams playing in a sydney wide under 20 comp this year, down from 32 teams in 4 comps the previous year. It is getting hard to justify an U21 comp played by NRL clubs when there is virtually no one playing in that age range anymore.

No NSW Residents for a few years now.

Premier 20's only one I know of and it is Brisbane based.

For players in some of the regional based teams (Toowoomba and Cairns especially) the preference for playing in a statwide cup v your local comp lessened as they got regularly belted by NRL system trained sides...mostly in SEQ. Could go back and help out your junior club with your mates and have your level of committments for travel and training etc greatly reduced.

Exhibit A .... https://www.qrl.com.au/draw/?competition=158&round=6&season=2022

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Wonder how long until the NRL takes full control of reserve grade and U21s

Not hard to add 4 odd clubs to the NSW Cup & Flegg comp

rightleftin

Juniors

Premier 20's only one I know of and it is Brisbane based.

For players in some of the regional based teams (Toowoomba and Cairns especially) the preference for playing in a statwide cup v your local comp lessened as they got regularly belted by NRL system trained sides...mostly in SEQ. Could go back and help out your junior club with your mates and have your level of committments for travel and training etc greatly reduced.

Exhibit A .... https://www.qrl.com.au/draw/?competition=158&round=6&season=2022
Some amazing scores there - same problem as NSW, not enough decent players for 12 clubs. The stats suggest the Flegg is not as uneven as that, but I saw some of the Canterbury vs Cronulla game last week (2 vs 3 semi) - the score was 44-22 (they only play 35m each way) and it was not very difficult to get across the tryline.