What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qld team announced

gaterooze

Bench
I'd expect Tate and Bell will be switched around -- possibly an error in the report (I saw the same on Sky News).

Tate and Berrigan are WTF? selections for mine.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
NSW have a better forward pack, but that QLD bench is a good one.

Johnson is a good selection IMO, they were after workhorse back rowers and Johnson is certainly that.

Scott and Stagg in the second rowers is a bit ordinary.

sunny

had limited options in the backrow though, i think they have done well enough. Scott plays prop usually but is a good ballplayer and can move back.

Pistol

Coach
Dallas Johnson is a good selection because he can play a full 80 minutes and that gives Meninga some options when using his interchanges.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
hmmm i still think tate is lucky after playing 2 games.

berrigan's selection is stupid. they would have been better off with hunt/inglis at the back with bowen coming off the bench...

Corey Parker is in career best form and gets left out......

QLD's back row depth was always going to be tested. I think webb, thaiday and myles were chosen for their explosive impact off the bench

sunny

it's not an error in the report gaterooze, bell is indeed wing, although he obviously should have been picked at centre

pantherz9103

First Grade
Gun threequarter line IF Bell is switched to the centres.

Suspect defensive fullback

Solid front row but greenhorn back row might be shown up, although Johnson has been very good for Melbourne.

Bench will be hard to contain for NSW. Berrigan's versatility gets him a run coz his form hasn't been anything to write home about.

JJ

Immortal
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
NSW better win it through their forwards, cause they ain't going to beat the Qld backs.

it's always in the forwards anyway. NSW have the vastly superior pack, their workhorses (Hindmarsh, Simpson, O'Donnell) offer far more than the Qld workhorses (esp Stagg and Johnson, Price adds a lot though).

But apart from the form of the half and 5/8, where exactly does Qld have any advantage??? 1-17 (excluding 6 and 7) NSW by and large have better players in better form

sunny

i like berrigan, but nsw certainly have the better utility value on the bench with wing. He played his way into the side on Friday night in the 2nd half.

Pistol

Coach
4 Origin series for Berrigan, 4 different positions.

Although he is very lucky to have made the side even on the bench.

Tate is lucky to make it, however he is a proven representative player.

Good to see Bell and Inglis get a go.

The backrow is far too defensive with only Scott providing attacking nous.
Though they may have picked them wanting to contain a backrow with the class of Simpson, Hindmarsh and O'Donnell, they do need to provide some go forward as well.

pantherz9103

First Grade
sunny said:
it's not an error in the report gaterooze, bell is indeed wing, although he obviously should have been picked at centre

Yes indeed he should have. These selectors certainly have more dollars than 'sense'.

Pistol

Coach
On the whole I am happy the Qld selectors are taking a different approach this year. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

sunny

dalals johnson has come on in leaps and bounds this year as an attacking player though pistol. His support play in attack in particular was outstanding on saturday night.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
We have 2 backrowers on the bench! How many do you want SAAB! If he is our backup hooker even though he played well on Saturday its a joke in the highest regard! Payne has been robbed!

I agree that Berrigan is Lucky BUT they weren't picking a back-up hooker, they were picking a utility player (like NSW did with Wing). Berrigan can cover hooker, 1/2, 5/8, centre and lock ... if they wanted purely a back-up hooker then it would have been payne no doubt.