What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Tipping - Week 8

Brutus

Referee
Walter Williams - he's done a few Wynnum games this season and pronounced it like that each time. You will think someone might tell him, I mean it's only been around for 50 years.

He was one of many axed from 4BC a couple of years ago. Typical of the type of work done by radio people when they are down on their luck.

I thought I recognised the voice. He had the night show on 4BC for years and used to read the news. He obviously has no idea about football.
No doubt his former 4BC mate Satly put in a good word for him.

expansionist

Juniors
It's been obvious for decades what they need to do - go to the population. West End and Rugby league go together like a olives and meat pie.

Springfield.

Hmm I see your point - However my thought is that they havent done a very good job of being west end, or even trying to be west end.

Theyre certainly not Logan - that is a worthless appendage - but i would love to see them try to assimilate into their location..

Brutus

Referee
Except Newtown promote their games to the local community and get very nice crowds when it is a fine Sat afternoon at Henson. There was a good 3-4 k at their last game against Wyong.

It is a nice mix of traditional Bluebag hardheads and the trendy hip Newtown set, who prefer to sit on the massive hill.

A match against Manly late last year hit the 7k mark. They market their Newtown clothing line very well too.

Stewbum

Juniors
Except Newtown promote their games to the local community and get very nice crowds when it is a fine Sat afternoon at Henson. There was a good 3-4 k at their last game against Wyong.

It is a nice mix of traditional Bluebag hardheads and the trendy hip Newtown set, who prefer to sit on the massive hill.

A match against Manly late last year hit the 7k mark. They market their Newtown clothing line very well too.
I just can't see West End hipsters or feminazis turning up to Davies Park for any other reason than to grab a selfie in the historic urinals or to spray paint animal liberation slogans on the clubhouse walls.

Unless Souths change their jersey to a rainbow, meet strict LGBT player selection quotas, install local microbrews on tap at the bar, replace the word magpies with the local aboriginal dialect version, and start serving organic vegan meat pie substitutes they're going to be pushing shit uphill until their inevitable demise.

expansionist

Juniors
I just can't see West End hipsters or feminazis turning up to Davies Park for any other reason than to grab a selfie in the historic urinals or to spray paint animal liberation slogans on the clubhouse walls.

Unless Souths change their jersey to a rainbow, meet strict LGBT player selection quotas, install local microbrews on tap at the bar, replace the word magpies with the local aboriginal dialect version, and start serving organic vegan meat pie substitutes they're going to be pushing shit uphill until their inevitable demise.

Ah Stewbum.

You do paint a rather extreme picture above. My point is more that Souths have tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

If they do nothing they will continue on a slide towards oblivion - and I for one would like to see some efforts made to place themselves more in line with their local community.

Stewbum

Juniors
Ah Stewbum.

You do paint a rather extreme picture above. My point is more that Souths have tried nothing and are all out of ideas.

If they do nothing they will continue on a slide towards oblivion - and I for one would like to see some efforts made to place themselves more in line with their local community.
Perhaps a slight exaggeration.....perhaps :)

Having been a resident of said suburb and Highgate Hill, and attendee at several local festivals I just don't see the cultures being compatible. Add to the fact that it's probably the worst ground in SEQ to watch a game of footy and I reckon their future lies elsewhere, perhaps funded by sadly, apartments on the field.

I used to agree with you for the record, and couldn't fathom why they didn't seem to try but perhaps they have and got little response. Spent many a Sunday arvo on the hill past the can bar. Biggest crowd I ever saw there was the 1995 pre-Season Finals day where every club played. Caboolture-Valleys replete with yellow stripe were in action.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Newtown has the advantage of being central to a large area so there are still Rugby League people in some of the directions around there. My daughter is living at Erskineville so I have become familiar with the area (and frequenting the Newtown restaurant precinct as a Wynnum boy would do).

In comparison, West End isn't central at all, just stuck at the end of the road in a bend in the river.

Diehards

Juniors
Perhaps a slight exaggeration.....perhaps :)

Having been a resident of said suburb and Highgate Hill, and attendee at several local festivals I just don't see the cultures being compatible. Add to the fact that it's probably the worst ground in SEQ to watch a game of footy and I reckon their future lies elsewhere, perhaps funded by sadly, apartments on the field.

I used to agree with you for the record, and couldn't fathom why they didn't seem to try but perhaps they have and got little response. Spent many a Sunday arvo on the hill past the can bar. Biggest crowd I ever saw there was the 1995 pre-Season Finals day where every club played. Caboolture-Valleys replete with yellow stripe were in action.

I have one of those Caboolture Valleys jerseys here. And they got smashed by the Crushers I think that day.... a very sad year!

Stewbum

Juniors
I have one of those Caboolture Valleys jerseys here. And they got smashed by the Crushers I think that day.... a very sad year!
I think the Crushers may have rattled up 80. I remember Ricky McGrady scoring 4 tries against them in a Dolphin Oval shellacking in either 94 or 95.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Wynnum had one of their most memorable wins against the Crushers in 1994. Graham Quinn was coaching the Gulls and obviously realised it was no good taking them on in the forwards as they had been smashing everyone.

Wynnum just went from dummy half every time - the wingers, fullback and halves all taking turns darting quickly and turning their big pack around. The Wynnum forwards only had to do any work in defence and did it pretty well. The Gulls won 22-20.

To put it in perspective, they played the Crushers later in the season using normal tactics and lost 72-6.

Diehards

Juniors
The Caboolture Valleys Colts lost to the Crushers 112-0 that year!
I think everyone had their turn of smashing them that year although the A Grade side did beat Ipswich both times including their last ever match which I was lucky enough to see at Neumann Oval

Brutus

Referee
Grant Young Clinton Schifofske Darren Plowman just guesses. I know Plowman and Clinton did. Billy Gardner coach? Poor old Bill got shafted as inaugural Crushers ARL coach in favour of Bobby Linder and was left to pick up the pieces at a struggling Norths.
He did well at Norths though and got big Mark Bevan playing some top football. He could have been anything that bloke if chronic injury didn't intervene.

Stewbum

Juniors
Grant Young Clinton Schifofske Darren Plowman just guesses. I know Plowman and Clinton did. Billy Gardner coach? Poor old Bill got shafted as inaugural Crushers ARL coach in favour of Bobby Linder and was left to pick up the pieces at a struggling Norths.
He did well at Norths though and got big Mark Bevan playing some top football. He could have been anything that bloke if chronic injury didn't intervene.
Clinton Schifofske - Yes.

Redcliffe v Crushers drew 5000 at Dolphin Oval. From the kick-off the Crushers prop had his collar bone broken by his opposite number. One of the most awesome moments I can remember at Dolphin Oval.

Diehards

Juniors
it was 1995 so they were in the Winfield Cup that year so no Billy Gardner as Coach, he only coached the XXXX Cup side in 1994.

A young Darren Lockyer played in the Broncos Colts team at the start of the year and was playing ARL a few weeks later

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Found the programme from the day Wynnum beat the Crushers in 1994. They were catching the Crushers offside by going from dummy half all the time. In the end, Wynnum's 22 points came from 8 goals by Ian Cash and tries to Danny Grimley and Doug Belford.

The Crushers side was :

Steven Ralph
Mitchell Hynes
Travis Norton
Matthew Olszewski (played in the GF for Wynnum in 1995)
Clinton Schifcofske
Wayne Thomson
Nathan Antonik
Danny McAllister
Paul Tideman
Martin Locke
James Donnelly
Gerard Williams
Grant Young

Brutus

Referee
Crushers would have been better off sticking with Gardner as 1st grade coach in 95. He was promised the gig but he didn't have the 'name' though.

Diehards

Juniors
Olszewski was a Diehard originally!! He played Colts in the early 90's before going over to the dark side!

Latest posts