What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifying Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 11th September 7:50pm @Queensland Country Bank Stadium

He does freakish things when he is on for sure, just not much good when the teams on the back foot. He cant seem to get the momentum to swing like Reynolds can.
I agree he’s not as powerful as Renno by way of game management.

I was on the keep Renno brigade bus.

Or tigers to snap him up preferably. I am sure there were talks. We talk to anyone with a pulse!

Jim Rockford

Bench
He does freakish things when he is on for sure, just not much good when the teams on the back foot. He cant seem to get the momentum to swing like Reynolds can.
There have been quite a few quality five-eigths you could say the same about. That's why it's important to pair them with the right halfback.I just find it funny that those who say they don't rate Cody usually do so just after he has done a number on their team.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Taaffe: What an outstanding performance! In a week where all the talk was about him and plenty doubted him, he stood up and did the job in a big way!! Dropped that first high kick and I admit, I was thinking "here we go." I said to my mates at the time that we're about to find out what this kid is made of. Well, didn't his champion qualities shine through? Shook off the error almost straight away and apart from kicking one dead, didn't put a foot wrong for the rest of the game. Handled every single bomb that came his way including an incredible take midway through the second half with Crichton bearing down on him. Taaffey was under intense pressure but he pulled off an amazing take in the air that may well have saved the game. I loved the way he attacked the ball on kick returns too. Chimed into the backline pretty well, providing some nice passes. The slight of hand to double pump, hold the pass and then release it at the perfect moment to put Paulo over was great! His running game was good too, got a nice step on him. Faultless in defence too and I especially liked to see how he covered the Kikau break that could have won them the game. They fumbled it anyway but even if the pass went to Burton, Blake had him covered. Well done Taaffe!! Deserves a HUGE wrap in a massive game.

Johnston: Pretty quiet game by his standards. Troubled their edge defence a few times with his speed and some kicks but they were his only real highlights. Dropped an easy bomb which put us under pressure and then his running game wasn't that strong, he had little involvement. Gotta say though, great job without the ball, saw some real desperation in his defensive efforts which was great.

Gagai: Awesome 80 minutes for Gags, he was Origin like. Right from the opening set he looked like he was on, brought some real intensity. Some really strong carries from our own end as always and to be honest, I'm shocked he only made 69 meters, seemed far more influencial than that. What a play from him for first try! He had no right to do what he did but he did it anyway in a great show of strength and agility to put Cody over of the back of that amazing run. it was a big play and I couldn't believe he pulled it off!! What an effort on defence too, constantly shutting down plays, making good reads and scrambling really well. Great stuff Gags, he looks really charged up.

Graham: Not to be outdone by his centre partner, Campbell put in a performance of the ages! the kind of game that will always stick in my mind. He was fantastic running the ball as always, making 115 meters off 16 runs and asked plenty of questions of Penrith but I think we can all agree it was his effort in defence which really shone. He made 25 tackles which isn't a massive, massive amount compared to some of the guys in the middle but it's not the amount he made, it's the type of tackles he made. Centre is such a hard position to defend because of the space on your inside and outside. To'o, Burton and Kikau had plenty of space out there on our right a number of times but our man wasn't having a bar of it, he shut down basically everything that came his way. Made some crucial tackles, absolutely crucial. Front on tackles, good reads and a bit of scramble defence, it was all there. Taking To'o into touch was massive, I had a real feeling we'd win from that moment on as that kind of rattled them. Without Campbell there, I'm sure they would have got a try or two down that side. Graham would be close to man of the match for me.

Paulo: Was also really impressed by Jaxson. Another young guy under a fair bit of pressure but like the others, he lapped it up too. His hit ups were pretty strong for the most part, picking up 98 meters off 12 runs, he worked hard in this area. Great to see him finish that try and I also want to make mention of his efforts to keep the ball in play a couple of times as he was going over the sideline, that was awesome. Stood up defensively alongside his centre and made some good stops, a crucial one on To'o late in the game where he looked like he may break free and score. Well done Jaxson!

Walker: Who said he couldn't stand up in the big games?? While I admit, he probably wasn't at his absolute best, he still had a good game in my eyes. Didn't put on as many big plays but the ones that came off and he did put on were huge in the context of the game. A couple of his passes may have gone to ground but he got the rest right, some really slick ball movement from Cody to give us opportunities and he came within an inch of scoring himself early on. Awesome combo with him and Gags for that try, it was Cody that threw the pass to get Dane one-on-one and then he backed up on the inside to score. it was just good to see Cody not go missing in a massive game (as he has been criticised for in the past). I liked his kicking game and like the rest of his backs, amazing defensive effort. Didn't miss a single tackle! So while I'd probably say we still need more from him in the Prelim and potentially the GF, he had a bloody decent night.

Reynolds: The little master. He had it all on show last night that's for sure. It was clear to me that he said to himself he had to step it up with no Trell and that he did! reyno just went to a whole nother level!! Really stepped it up. His running game was on, with a bit more involvement in that area than we're used to which I liked. As always, his playmaking was brilliant too as he was taking the ball right into the line and providing a perfect pass most of the time. this looked super dangerous. Just look at the genius from him in setting up Paulo's try. he took it right to the line at speed, dummied, dummied again, sucked in three defenders and this created the space for Taaffe and Paulo. Brilliant!! On another note, man his kicking game was on!! I remember reading an article during the week that stated it'd be death by a thousand cuts for Souths as Cleary was going to kick us to death. Well, the tables got turned!! It was Reyno that gave Penrith death by a thousand cuts with his kicking game, he was that good!!! Finally, I want to make special mention of his efforts without the ball. Pretty big ask for someone of his size too constantly go up against Kikau but Reyno stopped him time and time again, it was a mega effort!

callmack1

Staff member
Nicholls: Good, solid performance from Nicho as we have come to expect this year. He got dominated a bit by their middles last time we met but Nicho stood up and got one over them this time in one that really mattered! Was instrumental in wrestling back momentum after Penrith's hot start as he made strong carry after strong carry. 106 meters in the end for him. Kept that defence tight and loved his effort in shutting down the play when Cleary kicked ahead for Staines in that second half, saved us big time.

Cook: Wasn't at his best, certainly didn't get involved as much (with big plays I mean) as he only had 5 runs and none of them were super threatening. Despite this, I'm not going to say he had an average game. With everyone else around him playing so well, it was the kind of game where Cookie didn't really need to star, he could just focus on his service and his defence. That's what he did and that's what he did well. It was just the one bad pass where Tatola lost it on that crash ball, that was all. His strip was a turning point, we started to get on top from there. So a solid night from Cookie but I think we can all agree we'd love to see even more from him going forward.

Tatola: Big game from Junior. Massive in fact. really took it to the Penrith pack and played a big part in us getting on top of them through the middle. It was quality runs aplenty for him as he picked up 144 meters which is great. I especially loved the one he had from that quick line dropout in the second half where he just brushed straight past Luai I think it was for an extra 10 meters. Good stuff Junior!!

Koloamatangi: Wasn't his best game as I thought he was pretty quiet in the first 40 actually. But really managed to step it up in the second and put in an inspired performance. Some tough carries which saw him get just shy of 100 meters and became really aggressive in defence which I loved seeing, put on some good shots.

Su'A: Another player where I was surprised he only picked up 62 meters as watching it live I thought he was good. I suppose he had a big of a mixed game, some really good hit ups with plenty of aggression and he was putting on a few good hits in attack. However, he did make an error and missed some big tackles which gave Penrith a couple opportunities.

Murray: You know the team went well when Cam hardly gets a mention. He just went about his business with little fuss. It was all quality though. There was a number of times when we were struggling for meters a little but then Cam would come in, make a big run and get a quick play-the-ball. That happened a number of times in the game. He made 121 meters which is great. Good play playing and loved his defence as always.

Marshall: A short, sharp 20min cameo off the bench but he played alright, had a few runs. Not a lot to talk about there though. I'm not saying that's a bad thing however.

Host: Pretty good, pretty solid. It was a tradesman-like performance as he just chipped away and made some nice runs. Only 66 meters but that was off limited minutes. His only negative was the missed tackle on Yeo that lead to his break.

Burgess: Easily man of the match for me! In fact, I'd say that was the match of Tom's career!! Call it brilliant, call it barnstorming..... Call it Burgess!! He was just so immense in every minute he played and it was his impact that began to really change the game and turn it in our favour. By the second half, we were well on top and I put that down to Tommy. It was big run after big run, effort on effort. Constantly poking his nose through and dragging guys with him. I don't know how many times I said "far out! Tommy again!" 21 runs for 212 meters with 76 post-contact. His numbers just blow everyone else's out of the water. It was amazing stuff, one of the great Finals performances. I take my hat off to you lad!

Arrow: My hat is coming off again for Jai too!! That was one of his best games for the Season and he'd be a contender for man of the match too I reckon. Along with Tom, provided a really good one-two punch and helped change the game too. Brought a real intimidation factor that we have lacked against the Panthers in recent times but he took it straight to them. This saw Jai force a couple of errors with good shots on defence and didn't he let them know about it?!! Loved seeing that. 12 runs for 89 meters. Well done Jai, has become a true Rabbitoh!!

I still just can't wipe the smile off my face, I'm still buzzing!! Probably haven't been buzzing like this since 2014! can't put into words how good that performance was to send us straight through to the Prelim, it's certainly in my top five Souths games I've witnessed and I don't say that lightly. Amazing, amazing stuff!

That will give the boys massive confidence and they'll now know that even without Latrell, they are capable of going all the way. That's how big this is for us!! We are now in one of the box seats.

In saying that, while we should enjoy this victory, be buzzing and soak it all in for the next few days or the next week, the job is far from done yet. We're in a great position but we need to stay grounded. We have a massive game coming up in two weeks time, a game we've stumbled in the past three years. As good as last night was, we can still be better and we need to make sure we continue to get better.

Head down, asses up boys. We're now in the championship Rounds. You can do this!!!!

soc123_au

Staff member
There have been quite a few quality five-eigths you could say the same about. That's why it's important to pair them with the right halfback.I just find it funny that those who say they don't rate Cody usually do so just after he has done a number on their team.
My thoughts on Cody have been that for a long time. I thought he was a bit of a non event last night, so I wouldnt say he had much to do with doing a number on us. That was the rest of your team. I will admit my judgement is probably clouded because I dont particularly like him. He seems like an A grade knob to me. I'm also sure he doesn't give a f**k what I think of him while he counts his wads of cash either. Ha ha.

I’ve been following this sport for many decades Jim.

I cannot recall any player who can mystify and lay waste to the most ferocious defences with one or two mm movements of a single finger or turn of a wrist.

I’ve spoken before that his senses operate on an entirely different level to almost all footballers. He sees regular defences in slow motion sometimes and leaves them for dust.

My thoughts on Cody have been that for a long time. I thought he was a bit of a non event last night, so I wouldnt say he had much to do with doing a number on us. That was the rest of your team. I will admit my judgement is probably clouded because I dont particularly like him. He seems like an A grade knob to me. I'm also sure he doesn't give a f**k what I think of him while he counts his wads of cash either. Ha ha.
It might surprise you to learn that he keeps winning awards and recognition for his charity work. He just doesn’t like to publicise it.

He looks ego sometimes, but in real life, he’s very generous. Like Nathan Cleary. I like that quality. The eels boys are amongst the most caring for the needy. Always at the kids hospital in their civvies.

Nice chat, but I have to work. Grrrr!

Nice to have Socky visit and share his insights with you guys lol. I agree with some of his thoughts but not all and that’s a good thing!

Steenson123

Juniors
Not telling an Origin calibre 5/8 what to do it if he passed to burton and they went through the hands they might have scored. But kudos to Souths they played Uber well that game - I’m so impressed and proud of the boys. Our 2021 bogey team and we beat them.
UP THE RABBITOHS
WE too had several high chances particularly when Alex J kicked instead of passing inside when "Go Riff were stranded. The goaline was open for either Gagai or Walker. And when Cook and Walker were straight through under the posts. Let's not bleed for "The Riff. The best squad won and that's that. One of our unsung heroes was the maligned Paulo. He made three game changing palys and probably saved the match by cutting down The Trilogy of Terror aka To'O when The Terror seemed certain to score.

Steenson123

Juniors
I thought Fox post match was decent effort. Brandy has obvious links to Panthers but he remained professional and gave due credit.

It was a great game. Two good teams going at it for 80 minutes.

Souths have certainly learnt some lessons and played finals style footy. And let’s face it, this will be our 4th prelim in a row but we’re now in a box seat.

Bennett will have them primed. Reyno looks primed. The forwards look hungry and menacing. The backs bunkered down too and did some tough D last night. We weren’t backing down.

Young Blake was excellent. You can see what coach’s faith does. The innocence and resilience of youth too, to shrug off mistakes and play on.

Considering very few pundits gave Souths a chance, the week and now post match is dominated by coaches trash talk. Smart man Wayne. Fired up last night…showed his boys he won’t be fking bullied or toyed with.

Heads down lads. Destiny awaits.
Big shout out to young Jax Paulo, a much maligned player by most of you here. He may have determined the outcome both via his brilliant defense and his second stanza score. To'O is very difficult to halt out wide when racing in to score and yet Paulo did it more than once. Personally, I could never understand why we signed Mansour he is hopeless. Paulo and Milne are far better and the side seems to win most of its contests with either or both them starting.

Steenson123

Juniors
If To'o happened to get the ball back inside for a Penrith try, it would've most likely been disallowed due to Luai dropping Su'A.

Defence was immense last night. The blow-outs were a god send in a way because Bennett had to take his medicine and change his approach. And this change from the passive contain approach to all-out defensive line speed and aggression since Dubbo has changed the mindset of the team, realising that they have to bring their effort in defence as much as they do in attack.
Well spotted. The only shot we have against Bellamy and his witches is to play AGGRESSIVELY. By that I mean aggressive fast moving Defense, fast restarts of play and a big judicious kicking game limiting their chances. Take whatever substances Bellamy is using on his squad and sink the sod - let's face it they have already been busted for The Cap and like Joe Montana said about Tom Brady & New England "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin!!"

Steenson123

Juniors
I agree he’s not as powerful as Renno by way of game management.

I was on the keep Renno brigade bus.

Or tigers to snap him up preferably. I am sure there were talks. We talk to anyone with a pulse!
Man why do you support those sods? Take Barry Marshall as an example. Maguire got rid of him and could not wait to evict him yet here is a veteran still skilled 36 yr old on the door of playing in a GF!! Yet Balmain could not even come close to be a playoff squad with Marshall there. That sums up the situation there. A bunch of sods and I know how serious Tiger fans take things because I grew up in Annandale surrounded by Balmain fans, including my Dad and brother!

Jim Rockford

Bench
Mate,I'm trying to convert Phantom to the fold but I can't question his support for the Tigers. Like you I have Tigers fans in my family (my brother-in-law) and I can live with that. Different story if he supported those Rorter filth!

Steenson123

Juniors
Can't wait for Callmack's full summary but just wanted to highlight a few performances because it's gonna be real hard to pick a 3,2,1:

Taafe's catch under posts with Crichton bearing down on him like a freight train was worthy of a Victoria Cross - that quite possibly could have saved the game.

Paulo is really improving big time. I'm guilty of it too, but remember he's still a kid, he is getting valuable experience and confidence, he could well be on Campbell's trajectory.

Speaking of which, Campbell would be close to being the best defensive centre in the NRL. This, and his running game...what a player.

Gagai was SOO level yesterday. I'm sad he can't stay with us.

AJ was quiet but still worried the Westies with his speed. Speed kills.

We know what Cody does with the ball, and should have been the SOO 5/8. What he showed everyone last night is he can tackle. His D was huge, and its been a weakness in the past but not lately, and not last night AT ALL. Did he even miss a single tackle last night?

King Reyno - the master. Nothing else need be said.

Benji created impact for the mins he was given.

Cam still pulling out hero plays no matter how worn he his.

Sua was mixed some good D and some poor D - I'd keep him in if we play the Rorters next, but not if it's Manly

Koloa was strong and quick.

Hosty again perfect mistake free footy - a terrific buy.

Jai was great, showed great toughness, fantastic D

Junior very physical and undersung running game.

Tom was fantastic, probably their best. Two more games son, get your name carved in stone like your brother's

Mark strong no nonsense, must make you feel good having him in the trenches next to you.

Cookie was a workhorse on D, and punched enough holes to keep Api on his heels
Who cares about Callmack's summary? The entire squad receive a HD. They all were outstanding. We pour merde on them when they are terrible but really this is the squad's best performance since October 2014. And it ain't even close given the calibre of opponent. I remind all that "Go Riff are a 22-2 or even 23-1 side with a realistic points differential of up to +600. There was even much talk in the media about them being an undefeated side when they started 12-0. They were not beating teams they were destroying them virtually every game. That is phenomenal! They ear a phenomenal squad and I was much more afraid of young Crichton at FB than the slower Edwards. Crichton is scary at FB he is a lot like Manu at Easts. Tall athletic and very dangerous. How did we win this??

Steenson123

Juniors
Lads our best V since October 2014. Kudos to Bennett and his assistants they prepared exactly the correct approach to this. I noticed both Su'A and Arrow getting into the faces of "Go Riff forwards like Kikau and Martin screaming at them. That did not happen when it was 12-56 or the fading 12-25. The players were far too timid and submissive. Watch the replays. Aggression and speed, forget all the fancy left edge attacks etc just play hard and fast and beat your man. And let them know about it because all the pressure was on them. Do that and you usually win on the football field.

Steenson123

Juniors
Nicholls: Good, solid performance from Nicho as we have come to expect this year. He got dominated a bit by their middles last time we met but Nicho stood up and got one over them this time in one that really mattered! Was instrumental in wrestling back momentum after Penrith's hot start as he made strong carry after strong carry. 106 meters in the end for him. Kept that defence tight and loved his effort in shutting down the play when Cleary kicked ahead for Staines in that second half, saved us big time.

Cook: Wasn't at his best, certainly didn't get involved as much (with big plays I mean) as he only had 5 runs and none of them were super threatening. Despite this, I'm not going to say he had an average game. With everyone else around him playing so well, it was the kind of game where Cookie didn't really need to star, he could just focus on his service and his defence. That's what he did and that's what he did well. It was just the one bad pass where Tatola lost it on that crash ball, that was all. His strip was a turning point, we started to get on top from there. So a solid night from Cookie but I think we can all agree we'd love to see even more from him going forward.

Tatola: Big game from Junior. Massive in fact. really took it to the Penrith pack and played a big part in us getting on top of them through the middle. It was quality runs aplenty for him as he picked up 144 meters which is great. I especially loved the one he had from that quick line dropout in the second half where he just brushed straight past Luai I think it was for an extra 10 meters. Good stuff Junior!!

Koloamatangi: Wasn't his best game as I thought he was pretty quiet in the first 40 actually. But really managed to step it up in the second and put in an inspired performance. Some tough carries which saw him get just shy of 100 meters and became really aggressive in defence which I loved seeing, put on some good shots.

Su'A: Another player where I was surprised he only picked up 62 meters as watching it live I thought he was good. I suppose he had a big of a mixed game, some really good hit ups with plenty of aggression and he was putting on a few good hits in attack. However, he did make an error and missed some big tackles which gave Penrith a couple opportunities.

Murray: You know the team went well when Cam hardly gets a mention. He just went about his business with little fuss. It was all quality though. There was a number of times when we were struggling for meters a little but then Cam would come in, make a big run and get a quick play-the-ball. That happened a number of times in the game. He made 121 meters which is great. Good play playing and loved his defence as always.

Marshall: A short, sharp 20min cameo off the bench but he played alright, had a few runs. Not a lot to talk about there though. I'm not saying that's a bad thing however.

Host: Pretty good, pretty solid. It was a tradesman-like performance as he just chipped away and made some nice runs. Only 66 meters but that was off limited minutes. His only negative was the missed tackle on Yeo that lead to his break.

Burgess: Easily man of the match for me! In fact, I'd say that was the match of Tom's career!! Call it brilliant, call it barnstorming..... Call it Burgess!! He was just so immense in every minute he played and it was his impact that began to really change the game and turn it in our favour. By the second half, we were well on top and I put that down to Tommy. It was big run after big run, effort on effort. Constantly poking his nose through and dragging guys with him. I don't know how many times I said "far out! Tommy again!" 21 runs for 212 meters with 76 post-contact. His numbers just blow everyone else's out of the water. It was amazing stuff, one of the great Finals performances. I take my hat off to you lad!

Arrow: My hat is coming off again for Jai too!! That was one of his best games for the Season and he'd be a contender for man of the match too I reckon. Along with Tom, provided a really good one-two punch and helped change the game too. Brought a real intimidation factor that we have lacked against the Panthers in recent times but he took it straight to them. This saw Jai force a couple of errors with good shots on defence and didn't he let them know about it?!! Loved seeing that. 12 runs for 89 meters. Well done Jai, has become a true Rabbitoh!!

I still just can't wipe the smile off my face, I'm still buzzing!! Probably haven't been buzzing like this since 2014! can't put into words how good that performance was to send us straight through to the Prelim, it's certainly in my top five Souths games I've witnessed and I don't say that lightly. Amazing, amazing stuff!

That will give the boys massive confidence and they'll now know that even without Latrell, they are capable of going all the way. That's how big this is for us!! We are now in one of the box seats.

In saying that, while we should enjoy this victory, be buzzing and soak it all in for the next few days or the next week, the job is far from done yet. We're in a great position but we need to stay grounded. We have a massive game coming up in two weeks time, a game we've stumbled in the past three years. As good as last night was, we can still be better and we need to make sure we continue to get better.

Head down, asses up boys. We're now in the championship Rounds. You can do this!!!!
Brevity and relevance like Professor Gordon Mills always stated. The squad get a HD. Who cares if Cook or Tatola were "not at their best"? So what? To beat that calibre of opponent at full strength is incredible and I thank each player and coach for that outcome. Amen!!

Jim Rockford

Bench
Brevity and relevance like Professor Gordon Mills always stated. The squad get a HD. Who cares if Cook or Tatola were "not at their best"? So what? To beat that calibre of opponent at full strength is incredible and I thank each player and coach for that outcome. Amen!!
Mate, a bit of respect for Callmack please. We all eagerly await his match summaries. You are welcome to disagree with anything he might say, but please do so respectfully.

soc123_au

Staff member
It might surprise you to learn that he keeps winning awards and recognition for his charity work. He just doesn’t like to publicise it.

He looks ego sometimes, but in real life, he’s very generous. Like Nathan Cleary. I like that quality. The eels boys are amongst the most caring for the needy. Always at the kids hospital in their civvies.
I'm not surprised he is a good bloke in real life. Most of them are. Even Mundine, who comes across as an absolute wanker in the media is a humble generous guy when the cameras are off. My opinion of Cody is purely based on what I see on tv.

I'm not surprised he is a good bloke in real life. Most of them are. Even Mundine, who comes across as an absolute wanker in the media is a humble generous guy when the cameras are off. My opinion of Cody is purely based on what I see on tv.
Yes you make a really good point about impressions and how easily we can all be misled
I am exactly the same as you.

I knock Ivan for his public face and make fun of him, but his personal life is strictly off limits and he’s entitled to tranquility, peace and support when he gets home -and whilst slithering about the High Street on his way to the RSL.

I can confirm reports that the massive Panthers licensed club is a good place to work and middle managers care for junior staff. That’s what I was told by someone who left and then really regretted it. She will keep trying and hopefully they will give her another chance.

Yes you make a really good point about impressions and how easily we can all be misled
I am exactly the same as you.

I knock Ivan for his public face and make fun of him, but his personal life is strictly off limits and he’s entitled to tranquility, peace and support when he gets home -and whilst slithering about the High Street on his way to the RSL.

I can confirm reports that the massive Panthers licensed club is a good place to work and middle managers care for junior staff. That’s what I was told by someone who left and then really regretted it. She will keep trying and hopefully they will give her another chance. That’s good to know as a fan.

Last edited:

Latest posts