What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quarter Finals

DC80

Juniors
Always been England’s weakness that (not playing together as a team). So many regional (club) divisions when they play with England which Gerrard has mentioned since he retired, but the coach Southgate has addressed this.
Just on this.

Tonight’s post match analysis. Just after 10 minutes (if anyone’s interested) Paul Scholes talks about these divisions

The Man U players would be sat at one table, the Liverpool players at another, and so on. The players never looked happy with England. Too many divisions. This has changed with this current team. They look happy to be together.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ

Jack_Napier

Staff member
The group of players just before the one you mentioned was also stacked.

Most talented England team I can remember had Shearer, Sheringham, Gascoigne, Ince, Pearce, Seaman, Adams...world class throughout.

It’s incredible that the least talented group of England players in a long time is arguably the best England team. The coach has got them playing together, like a club team.

Always been England’s weakness that (not playing together as a team). So many regional (club) divisions when they play with England which Gerrard has mentioned since he retired, but the coach Southgate has addressed this.
Rio Ferdinand commented on it last week saying in the England camp he wouldn’t give anything away to the other squad members. Didn’t want the domestic rivals getting an edge on him or united and the others were the same, LFC boys sticking together, CFC lads doing the same.

It’s very strange hearing the fact they all basically held the national team back through fear of losing out to domestic rivals. Poor management clearly allowed it to continue and fester for far too long.

saint.nick

Coach
God I love it when England do well. Always my second team behind Oz and there is no better contingent of fans when their nation is going places in a tourny

saint.nick

Coach
The group of players just before the one you mentioned was also stacked.

Most talented England team I can remember had Shearer, Sheringham, Gascoigne, Ince, Pearce, Seaman, Adams...world class throughout.

It’s incredible that the least talented group of England players in a long time is arguably the best England team. The coach has got them playing together, like a club team.

When i used to watch England in the past I always felt a bit strange, they seemed a bit too forced together, there was no unity. Club rivalries really lingered in the subconcious. Not anymore.

saint.nick

Coach
well nearly half the team are Spurs anyway, probabaly why they are doing so well
the only major trophy you would ever win in the foreseeable future, but sadly with no credit for it.

Like Scholes pointed out though, it is just so silly how much disunion there used to be in the dressing room. And how many other countries could you name that have had some of their most high profile players admit that they don't/didn't enjoy playing for their country? Compare the passion and joy of the South Americans, Africans, Asians and Continental Europeans, to players like Carrick who mope around saying ":'( :'( just feel like pure shit at the moment, get me outta here, just wanna be back at Carrington with Fergie :(". Unbelievable. Sure, the English media is brutal, but they can't be blamed either, because you'd think that a proper team spirit would have made that bearable for the players.

Last edited:
the only major trophy you would ever win in the foreseeable future, but sadly with no credit for it.

Like Scholes pointed out though, it is just so silly how much disunion there used to be in the dressing room. And how many other countries could you name that have had some of their most high profile players admit that they don't/didn't enjoy playing for their country? Compare the passion and joy of the South Americans, Africans, Asians and Continental Europeans, to players like Carrick who mope around saying ":'( :'( just feel like pure shit at the moment, get me outta here, just wanna be back at Carrington with Fergie :(". Unbelievable. Sure, the English media is brutal, but they can't be blamed either, because you'd think that a proper team spirit would have made that bearable for the players.

If you've seen the video of Rio, Gerrard & Lampard talking about the divisions that was very eye opening. Essentially they would all hang around their club teammates and were worried of giving up an advantage to a bloke from a rival club. Gerrard even said it always baffled him when players like Coutinho were so hyped to go into an international camp. A good example of the old mentality was how upset the English got when they felt Ronaldo got Rooney sent of in 2006 (which is rubbish), but the thought of a player putting his country ahead of his club was unheard of.

I think the having Southgate is a big plus for them, he's not the world's best manager but managing England means a lot to him, compared to some of the international managers they've had in the past, or English managers who aren't doing anything like Hodgson. They've dodged a bullet not going into this with Fat Sam at the helm.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
This is probably the crucial part. A proper Coach and assistant is all it took. Southgate and Holland deserve all the credit.
Absolutely, Southgate has done a fantastic job so far. So much more likeable than Fat Scam and Woy Hodgson as well.

Game_Breaker

Coach
If you've seen the video of Rio, Gerrard & Lampard talking about the divisions that was very eye opening. Essentially they would all hang around their club teammates and were worried of giving up an advantage to a bloke from a rival club. Gerrard even said it always baffled him when players like Coutinho were so hyped to go into an international camp. A good example of the old mentality was how upset the English got when they felt Ronaldo got Rooney sent of in 2006 (which is rubbish), but the thought of a player putting his country ahead of his club was unheard of.

I think the having Southgate is a big plus for them, he's not the world's best manager but managing England means a lot to him, compared to some of the international managers they've had in the past, or English managers who aren't doing anything like Hodgson. They've dodged a bullet not going into this with Fat Sam at the helm.

I believe that's part of it
Why the domestic rivalries got in the way might have to do with strong characters as managers in those domestic clubs - specifically SAF

English players from United perhaps respected and feared him more than whoever was the English manager of the day