What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quarters

babyg

Juniors
Heard on foxsports that the NRL is going to trial a 1min commercial break around the 20 and 60 minutes marks in an effort to gain more $$$ from TV. Similar to the drink break in summer.

I personally think it is a good idea as it will benefit the game. Shouldn't disrupt it too much if it's timed with a scrum

sando88

Not a Moderator
wtf this is rugby league it a mans game not netball which aint even a sport

Ridders

Coach
Yeah quite a few American sports have media time-outs as well. I personally find them annoying, as at times they can occur at crucial moments in the game. However if it does bring in more advertising revenue for our code, then i can live with it.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
solid idea. playing the game in quarters will probably result in a faster contest. can't complain.

Eels Dude

Coach
If they're going to do it, they should wait until 2012 and use this as a bargaining tool. I don't see what the point is in trialing it next year when they get no extra money from the extra commercials. All this does is benefit Nine and Foxtel if done now.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I could live with an enforced 1 minute break around the 20 minute mark. But no more than that.
At the end of the day this is rugby league and we play 2 halves of 40 minutes and that should not change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Frick that! We are already giving them the No1 rated TV sport, we shouldn't be fricking about with the essence fo the game just to suit TV commercials!

It is painful watching Ch9 replays with all the adds, the last thing we want is having to endure that whilst watching live games!

Eels Dude

Coach
Frick that! We are already giving them the No1 rated TV sport, we shouldn't be fricking about with the essence fo the game just to suit TV commercials!

It is painful watching Ch9 replays with all the adds, the last thing we want is having to endure that whilst watching live games!

You wanna team in Perth? They've gotta do something. Just wishful thinking isn't going to get a better tv deal. Best to be proactive.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Heard on foxsports that the NRL is going to trial a 1min commercial break around the 20 and 60 minutes marks in an effort to gain more $$$ from TV. Similar to the drink break in summer.

I personally think it is a good idea as it will benefit the game. Shouldn't disrupt it too much if it's timed with a scrum
Yes, but it wouldn't be classified as a 4-quarter match as the coach does not get to talk to his players. It's simply a rights issue that they will need to implement (if it goes ahead).

shear_joy9

Coach
there is already enough stoppages from: scrums, injuries and tries. Not to mention the exhausting amount of time wasted for the incompetent video refs to make a decision.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Its already done during the earlier months with the mandatory drink breaks so I cant see it being a big issue tbh.

gurudave

Juniors
For advertising? NO! No benefit to the game whatsoever.

Referees already have the option to take a drinks break at quarter marks for the welfare of the players in hotter than average conditions. This is the only time a short stoppage should occur. This isn't rugby yawnion.

Binga

Juniors
For advertising? NO! No benefit to the game whatsoever.

Referees already have the option to take a drinks break at quarter marks for the welfare of the players in hotter than average conditions. This is the only time a short stoppage should occur. This isn't rugby yawnion.

OK:?, you do realsie that the more advertisng space allowed in a telecast means that when the TV Rights deal comes up in a few years that the NRL will receive tens of millions more than they would without these stoppages. This money then gets divided amongst the NRL teams, for promotion of the game and junior development, yet you think this will be no benefit to the game??

hellteam

First Grade
Put ads on while the Video Ref watches over the replays so we don't have to see the sh*t mistakes they make.

shear_joy9

Coach
OK:?, you do realsie that the more advertisng space allowed in a telecast means that when the TV Rights deal comes up in a few years that the NRL will receive tens of millions more than they would without these stoppages. This money then gets divided amongst the NRL teams, for promotion of the game and junior development, yet you think this will be no benefit to the game??

the game shouldn't be weakened by allowing additional ad breaks to make up for the inadequacy of gallop and co's tv-rights negotation strategy.