What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland’s failed $200m grand final proposal revealed as stadium war rages on

Vee

First Grade
Fox staff writers copying SMH work

NRL powerbrokers have reportedly rejected a bold proposal from the Queensland government to host three grand finals before the 2032 Olympics to be held in Brisbane.

According to the SMH, their proposal saw a four-year rotation with Sydney still holding the majority share of hosting rights.

Put forward at the end of 2022, Queensland reportedly pitched a 12-year plan to start in 2023, with a reported $200 million on offer to be banked by rugby league powerbrokers.

Under their proposal, the first year of the four-year rotation saw Sydney host the grand final in 2023 before moving north to Brisbane in 2024. Sydney would once again play host in 2025 before the 2026 grand final was put to tender, with states being able to bid for the hosting rights.

Under the Queensland government’s proposal, the northern state would have been handed the hosting rights in 2031 — allowing Brisbane to test its infrastructure one year before the Olympic Games. Queensland officials reportedly labelled their pitch as the “fan-first grand final strategy” with the majority of games remaining in NSW.

Meanwhile, NRL powerbrokers knocked the bold proposal back despite a reported offer of $15 million per final from the Queensland government and the chance for further funding during the fourth year bidding process.

It took a last-minute investment from former NSW premier Dominic Perrottet for the grand final to be played in Sydney last season after the Liberal government allegedly withdrew $250 million pledged to upgrade suburban NRL grounds. Brookvale Oval, Shark Park and Leichhardt Oval were to be benefactors of that funding.

Chris Minns and the Labor government have since unseated Perrottet and The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield said he sat down with Minns in February. The newly-elected premier said at the time that the finds will need to be allocated elsewhere and Rothfield also revealed a $15 million investment to host A-League finals infuriated the NRL.

Speaking on the Today Show last week, Minns said the funds were set to be allocated to NSW schools and hospitals.

“I’d love to do that, but when you consider there’s $200 billion of debt in NSW and we’ve got urgent responsibilities for schools and hospitals, they’ve got to be our priority, that’s why we were elected on Saturday,” Minns said. “My message to the people of NSW is that’s got to be the priority for the incoming government.”

As it stands, the host city for the 2023 grand final is yet to be announced with a Super Bowl auction style potentially on the cards.

The power of the SCG Trust at work there
I guess but the Trust’s power got the government to build Allianz first. The government chickened out after that. I wonder if it was a big mistake to call the Accor development a ‘knockdown and rebuild’. It seemed drastic. They could’ve done all that in stages but instead it gave Fitzsimons a hook to start his campaign on. It’s a damn shame

Iamback

Coach
I guess but the Trust’s power got the government to build Allianz first. The government chickened out after that. I wonder if it was a big mistake to call the Accor development a ‘knockdown and rebuild’. It seemed drastic. They could’ve done all that in stages but instead it gave Fitzsimons a hook to start his campaign on. It’s a damn shame

Yet he is fine to go watch the Tah's in a brand spanking new Stadium.

The mistake was the NRL going public as the face of the Developments, The moment that happened it was lost.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can’t blame the nsw govt for nrl sydney clubs recalcitrance at moving into the 21st century. If the nrl and its clubs were willing to share stadiums the city would only need 4 new ones, it has 2 already. Thats reasonable for nsw govt to fund. Asking them to sort out 7 or 8 stadiums isnt. No wonder they keep bailing on it.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Then the pressure should be on to build Penrith Stadium properly on the Paceway site and forget about the stupid idea of a 20k stadium on the existing site.

You can’t blame the nsw govt for nrl sydney clubs recalcitrance at moving into the 21st century. If the nrl and its clubs were willing to share stadiums the city would only need 4 new ones, it has 2 already. Thats reasonable for nsw govt to fund. Asking them to sort out 7 or 8 stadiums isnt. No wonder they keep bailing on it.
It works much easier in Melbourne to minimise the stadium infrastructure than it does in Sydney. Melbourne has the G, Docklands, Geelong and AAMI as it’s major football code stadiums.

In Sydney, at minimum Manly, Cronulla and Penrith all need their own stadiums. The rest could probably be served very well out of either Homebush, SFS or Parra.

I don’t know if the Penrith project is still going ahead, but, Manly and worse still, Cronulla are pretty poor and I expect will keep getting predominantly bang average crowd numbers until their respective stadiums are brought up to date with modern day expectations for comfort, accessibility and services. In my opinion, both should have 22-25k stadiums. If the NRL wants help with that, then the government will probably want some assurances there will be clubs playing there in 30 yrs time.

Maximus

Coach
It works much easier in Melbourne to minimise the stadium infrastructure than it does in Sydney. Melbourne has the G, Docklands, Geelong and AAMI as it’s major football code stadiums.

In Sydney, at minimum Manly, Cronulla and Penrith all need their own stadiums. The rest could probably be served very well out of either Homebush, SFS or Parra.

I don’t know if the Penrith project is still going ahead, but, Manly and worse still, Cronulla are pretty poor and I expect will keep getting predominantly bang average crowd numbers until their respective stadiums are brought up to date with modern day expectations for comfort, accessibility and services. In my opinion, both should have 22-25k stadiums. If the NRL wants help with that, then the government will probably want some assurances there will be clubs playing there in 30 yrs time.

So if we are demanding a minimum of 6 stadiums just for rugby league, you can't blame the government and compare it to a state that has a total of 4 across all major sports.

The NRL choosing to have clubs in particular suburbs isn't the government's problem.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That’s just a Sydney mentality there’s only 25km or less between Cronulla, Moore park, Bankstown and kogorah. Manly to moore park is only 20km. I get Sydney is sht city with poor infrastructure and all that but we aren’t talking huge distances for fans to get between stadiums.
4 well placed stadiums in Sydney plus penrith is all that’s really needed if nrl was smart with scheduling and clubs and their fans weren’t such wusses.

That’s just a Sydney mentality there’s only 25km or less between Cronulla, Moore park, Bankstown and kogorah. Manly to moore park is only 20km. I get Sydney is sht city with poor infrastructure and all that but we aren’t talking huge distances for fans to get between stadiums.
4 well placed stadiums in Sydney plus penrith is all that’s really needed if nrl was smart with scheduling and clubs and their fans weren’t such wusses.
I think most, if not all Sydney clubs and fans would buy into that. Nobody in the game or government as far as I can recall has even put something like that up for discussion. We’ve had rebuilt Accor/Allianz and V’landys suburban pet-project as the only offerings genuinely discussed.

AFL is lucky in that it gets played wherever cricket grounds are located and Cricket Australia seems to have no trouble getting upgrade funding. Plus the grounds get year-round use which assists their business case. We need to get working with the A League to make our case stronger.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think most, if not all Sydney clubs and fans would buy into that. Nobody in the game or government as far as I can recall has even put something like that up for discussion. We’ve had rebuilt Accor/Allianz and V’landys suburban pet-project as the only offerings genuinely discussed.

AFL is lucky in that it gets played wherever cricket grounds are located and Cricket Australia seems to have no trouble getting upgrade funding. Plus the grounds get year-round use which assists their business case. We need to get working with the A League to make our case stronger.
What the nsw govt should say to nrl and Aleague is “give us 3 to 4 ft tenants and we’ll build you a stadium. Anything less build it yourself.“

taipan

Referee
Sydney Greater Metro area 12,368km2 as opposed Melbourne Greater Metro 9,992km2. Naturally does not include the Gong. Distance is relevant.
Poms have very little understanding of distances in Oz,it would appear.
it doesn't have to be huge distances, it's the speed at which one can get to direct (repeat direct )to the destination.
No train service to Manly ,no train services direct to Moore Park.Melbourne has that luxury.Then you have a shot at Manly .
And you are correct Sydney was poorly planned ever since Cpn Phillip and his merry men and women dropped their gear in 1788.But but we have wonderfull national parks.
Lecturing people on Cronulla to Moore Park.I drove to a SOO on a week night under the SFS prior to the new one years ago, got drenched in prime seats in the middle ,then at the end of the night took forever to get out off the car park, with squelchy sneakers and recovering from a torrent of water from some clown with an umbrella who decided to tilt it .
People go to work get home and if the game is on a Thursday or Friday night, you go home to family get changed and the only way to get there is drive near on on peak hours, and you crap on about a mere 25km.A direct train service would obviate the need but it doesn't exist.
Sunday arvo a different story you have that extra time, but still the roads are 20th Century stuff in many cases.

You think the Storm would get the crowds if it was away from direct transport ?
You reckon Roosters would go to Homebush for Home Games?

What's done is done , Sydney is what it is ,it's up to clubs to improve infrastructure and asset base.The Sharks are doing the latter for starters with a licensed club at Kareela and a new HQ at Cronulla Mall.

So if we are demanding a minimum of 6 stadiums just for rugby league, you can't blame the government and compare it to a state that has a total of 4 across all major sports.

The NRL choosing to have clubs in particular suburbs isn't the government's problem.

You won’t find much of an argument from me, but it will still be very important to the NSW govt that the Sydney clubs are successful. The , indirect and time consuming public transport commutes to the stadiums isn’t an issue the clubs should fix, so there is some responsibility for the government to assist.

Manly to Moore Park, you must be insane if you want to do that public transport trip every home game. If you are fortunate enough to live in Manly, and within a 20 minute walk from the quay, then you will be blessed with a 2hr commute to the game and another 2hrs home. Heaven forbid you need to get a bus home from Manly pier.

A trip from Cronulla to Moore Park on a match day would be near on an hour and a half considering how woeful the parking and exits and roads are. In any case, the govt are promoting public transport, which you will find will take 120 minutes door to door.

Both Manly and Cronulla are in their own peninsula and if the NRL and the govt want successful clubs in both locations that employ hundreds and bring in match day revenue (and all the taxes that turns into) in the hundreds of thousands, then both clubs really do need a local stadium that does not take over an hour and a half to get to.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Moore Park or Homebush, but there are very few in Sydney that would have a direct public transport link to either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You won’t find much of an argument from me, but it will still be very important to the NSW govt that the Sydney clubs are successful. The , indirect and time consuming public transport commutes to the stadiums isn’t an issue the clubs should fix, so there is some responsibility for the government to assist.

Manly to Moore Park, you must be insane if you want to do that public transport trip every home game. If you are fortunate enough to live in Manly, and within a 20 minute walk from the quay, then you will be blessed with a 2hr commute to the game and another 2hrs home. Heaven forbid you need to get a bus home from Manly pier.

A trip from Cronulla to Moore Park on a match day would be near on an hour and a half considering how woeful the parking and exits and roads are. In any case, the govt are promoting public transport, which you will find will take 120 minutes door to door.

Both Manly and Cronulla are in their own peninsula and if the NRL and the govt want successful clubs in both locations that employ hundreds and bring in match day revenue (and all the taxes that turns into) in the hundreds of thousands, then both clubs really do need a local stadium that does not take over an hour and a half to get to.

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Moore Park or Homebush, but there are very few in Sydney that would have a direct public transport link to either.
What a sht city Sydney is! It shouldn’t take 90mins to travel 20kms lol
I’m 20/25km s from hbf park and Optus and can be there in 40mins on public transport. Why? Because we build stadiums on train lines. Uber or drive to local train station within 10mins, 25min train ride, short walk to stadium. It’s not fcking hard nsw govt!