What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland having a cry

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
he thinks Inglis and Keary are the same

couldn't be more different yet the moron thinks both should be eligible for Queensland

and as usual when Queenlabderps whinge he brings up Tamou

never heard of Te'o?

Do you ever switch off the victim mentality?

Vic Mackey

Referee
We simply can't Go changing the rules everytime someone doesn't agree with them.

They were put in place for a reason. It's no different to Glenn Stewart looking like being forced out of manly, should we change the rules because he wants to stay there? Of course not.

Also where is all this 'nsw fighting to keep keary' crap? Not once have he nswrl come out and said they'll fight for him. It's the ARL that have saidhe has to play for nsw. But anything to keep the 'conspiracies' going hey

El Diablo

Post Whore
tears flowing

now they want the rules they agreed to changed http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ibility-criteria/story-fni3gki8-1226865616519

Maroon bosses seek Luke Keary seek change to Origin eligibility criteria

Peter Badel
News Limited
March 26, 2014 11:00PM

SYDNEY-born Sam Thaiday says Luke Keary should be declared a Queenslander as Maroons officials called for a fresh overhaul of Origin’s eligibility rules.

Just two years after the ARL Commission beefed up representative guidelines, Queensland has lashed the process that has labelled Souths youngster Keary a Blue.

Under the revised eligibility rules, Queensland-aligned Korbin Sims could face his brother Tariq in Origin even though the pair grew up in the same NSW south coast home.

NRL boss Dave Smith is still assessing Keary's application to be considered for Queensland given he was born in the state and lived in Ipswich until the age of 10.

In the current NRL playing contract, players must answer five questions which help determine their Origin status. Keary's responses saw him qualify 4-1 for the Blues, but unlike the previous rep guidelines, players no longer have the power to declare their “state of election’’.

Keary has argued his personal preference should be taken into account and he yesterday found an ally in Thaiday, who was born in NSW before moving to Townsville aged four.

“If they make a set of rules where a guy can also make a choice, we won’t have this issue anymore,’’ Thaiday said.

“It's where you learn your league and if that was in Queensland and that’s who he wants to play for, Luke should have that choice.

“For myself, there was only the one choice and it was always going to be Queensland.

“Yes, I was born in NSW but I never played football there. My dad was in the air force at Wagga Wagga and got posted to Townsville when I was four years old.

“I learnt the love of the game in Queensland. When the chance came for me to choose my allegiance, it was always going to be Queensland and I can't see why it’s different for Luke.’’

QRL chairman Peter Betros wants a small but important tweak to the existing rules. The QRL has not lodged a formal complaint to NRL head of football Todd Greenberg, but Betros says the current guidelines should be amended to give players such as Keary a voice on eligibility.

“The eligibility rules are quite clear but they need some tweaking,’’ Betros said.

“Luke Keary has exposed a flaw in the system. He’s had the first 10 years of his life in Queensland, but under the rules he’s not eligible for Queensland.

“NSW won’t pick him if he doesn’t want to play for them, so we need to look at the eligibility rules and have a greater weighting for place of birth.

“Luke will appeal further but we’re encouraging a review of the eligibility rules and that’s as far as we can take it.’’

Queensland selection boss Des Morris said Keary should not be forced to represent NSW.

“We have to abide by rules but he wants to play for Queensland,’’ Morris said. “Why would NSW want a bloke who doesn’t want to play for them? If it’s a 50-50 call, let him decide.

“The kid should be allowed to be given a choice, but the ARL Commission have to make that decision.’’

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Lol so QLDs constant crying will see a blanket 'State of birth'...I just hope to hell the NRL make it a retroactive rule so they lose Thaiday, Inglis etc. Show them the meaning of irony.

The tears would require Noah to build another ark!

oikee

Juniors
Yeah, the rules need to be changed. I just heard Dave smith say they brought the rules in before he was made CEO.
You cant expect them to be right, the NRL did nothing right before Smith came along.

Who in their right mind makes up a set of rules that tells someone who is born in that state they cant play for that state. ?
Mate, this game has lost the plot badly, other countries would laugh at the way the game has been run, and still is run.
Back to the drawing board. First rule is your born in that state you can at least play for that state. How simple, but the dumbo's who wrote the rules missed that one, common sense beat them again. hahahaha
No wonder the game has gone backwards for the last 20 years, rugby league finest running the code i see.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-luke-keary-origin-stoush-20140327-zqnpi.html

NRL boss Dave Smith stands firm on Luke Keary Origin stoush

Date
March 27, 2014 - 6:25PM

Phil Lutton
brisbanetimes.com.au sports editor

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has stood firm on the Origin eligibility rules, even if it means South Sydney prospect Luke Keary misses out on playing for his preferred state of Queensland.

Keary, the talented Rabbitohs playmaker currently sidelined, is some years off being considered for Origin, but made it clear he was aligned to the men in maroon should selectors come calling.

Under the new criteria, Keary ticks four of the five boxes for the Blues, despite being born in Ipswich and living in Queensland until he was 10. The changes were made to prevent a repeat of the Greg Inglis scenario, but in Keary's case has only served to create more discontent.

Smith was refusing to budge as he launched an Origin promotional campaign in Brisbane, saying the criteria was put in place before he started in 2012 and there needed to be firm guidelines around the Origin selection framework.

"I haven't personally heard from Luke. The rules around eligibility were re-established before my time back in 2012. Some very learned people sat down at a table and established those rules," Smith said.

"We've applied those rules. Clearly that's going to lead to disappointment for some people but the rules are the rules."

The QRL believe Keary's case has exposed a loophole in the laws and there should be a second look. Queensland great Gorden Tallis has backed that stance, saying no player should be forced to play for a state they have no desire to represent.

Keary has approached the Rugby League Players' Association for guidance on the matter, and RLPA chief executive David Garnsey said Keary had a ''compelling case'' to be considered a Queenslander.

"The revised State of Origin eligibility criteria announced by the [Australian Rugby League Commission] in March 2012 are designed to eliminate the possibility of unfair or incongruous outcomes but, as with anything like this, there are always bound to be individuals who feel their circumstances merit special consideration," Garnsey said.

"That doesn’t necessarily mean the criteria are wrong but, in certain cases, players are entitled to make an application to the ARLC to determine whether an exception can be made.

"The RLPA has discussed with Luke his options and there is no doubt he is passionate about representing Queensland and has a compelling case. It’s not appropriate to comment on the specifics of his application, however, we have supported Luke in this process, not least because it is clear – and the NRL has acknowledged this – that he has a strong emotional attachment to Queensland and his desire to represent that state is a sincere reflection of where his loyalty lies."

insert.pause

First Grade
Why would nsw want a player who doesn't want to play for them and doesn't identify with the state? All this tit for toe crap is turning origin into a joke, qld get one of theirs so they take one of ours, origin never use to be about having the best players, it was about winning despite not having the best players. That's what made origin. The fact Daley was attempting to get SBW eligible goes to show it's about winning wearing a blue jersey, it doesn't mean anything anymore. It's disgraceful that it's gotten to the point that a young player can't achieve his dream of playing for his state because of state politics, how is a players wishes not a big determinate of eligibility? It should be 1. Who do you want to play for? 2. Is the player eligible? States have no right claiming players who didn't ask to be made eligible for them in the first place.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-souths-utility/story-fni3gki8-1226866852774

Keary me, The King says NRL boss Dave Smith has made another Blue with call on Souths utility

TODD BALYM and PETER BADEL
The Courier-Mail
March 27, 2014 11:00PM

STATE of Origin’s King, Wally Lewis, has branded the NRL’s decision to slam the door on Ipswich-born playmaker Luke Keary’s bid to be classified a Queenslander as “ridiculous”.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith on Thursday put an end to Keary’s hopes of ever playing for Queensland by declaring “rules are rules” in the Origin eligibility debate.

Smith has the power to overrule the eligibility criteria that has determined Keary’s allegiance to NSW, but won’t bend the rules to suit one player.

Lewis was gobsmacked that the NRL would make such a ruling against a kid born, raised and introduced to rugby league in Ipswich.

“It is ridiculous. This is how crazy the decisions are,” Lewis told The Courier-Mail.

“He is a Queensland boy from Queensland parents, born in Queensland, raised in Queensland and played his first football in Queensland. Doesn’t that make him a Queenslander”

“If they’re saying the Queenslanders are the ones that keep breaking the rules, well, NSW broke the Origin rules in the very first Origin game.

“They had Steve Rogers representing NSW, a bloke that played his first senior football on the Gold Coast.

“Perhaps NSW haven’t got enough of the rugby league market. I think it’s only 79.5 per cent, perhaps they want it to be 82 or 85 per cent so they can stand a chance of denying Queensland making it nine straight.”

Smith said the rules were introduced after much research and would not be changed for one player.

“I think the rules around eligibility were re-established before my time back in 2012, I think some very learned people sat around the table to establish those rules,” Smith said.

“We have applied those rules and clearly that is going to leave disappointment for some people but the rules are the rules and that’s what’s been applied.”

Breaking his silence on the Keary saga, Maroons coach Mal Meninga expressed dismay at the prospect of the Souths rookie being classified a Blue.

“I hope it’s not dead and buried but if that’s the case, I’m disappointed,” Meninga said.

“There has to be common sense and compassion in regards to a player’s reason for wanting to play for a particular state.

“I know the game has moved to make the rules more black and white, and I abide by that. But there has to be scope for special cases and Luke Keary is a special case.

“Luke’s passion is for Queensland, he is born and bred here, his family are Queenslanders. Surely he should receive a favourable response on his case.

“I’ve spoken to Luke but what more can I do? I have my fingers crossed there is some understanding from the NRL.

“We have argued the point behind closed doors and now we’ll wait for an answer.”

The Courier-Mail understands there is growing anger among some of Queensland’s former Origin greats that the QRL bosses have not acted strongly enough in support of Keary.

QRL chief executive Rob Moore said they would raise the discrepancy in the rules, but only when the eligibility criteria is next reviewed.

“We’re obviously following it but it’s not something we can influence at this stage,” Moore said.

“Considering this is a very early days for Luke in relation to playing Origin it is probably something we would leave until a normal review process.

“There are a lot of differing opinions out there but we’ve got to be really careful of making a view on the eligibility on the basis of one player.”

Burwood

Bench
The courier mail does a complete article on the subject without once stating the criteria that made Keary a NSWelshman. I guess their argument wouldn't sound as convincing if they talked about how he only met one of the five criteria?

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors
The fact Daley was attempting to get SBW eligible goes to show it's about winning wearing a blue jersey, it doesn't mean anything anymore. It's disgraceful that it's gotten to the point that a young player can't achieve his dream of playing for his state

wake up please , sonny bill played under 19 origin for the blues

nsw blues origin sonny bill williams ok

but u think his a maroon now :crazy::sarcasm:

Silky

Juniors
this is completely geniused... Keary WANTS to play for QLD, he is from Queensland, he was born there, his parents are from there... it's a no-brainer. Let the kid play for QLD.

I am a proud New South Welshman but why would anyone want this kid to pull on a sky blue jumper after all this?

BennyV

Referee
this is completely geniused... Keary WANTS to play for QLD, he is from Queensland, he was born there, his parents are from there... it's a no-brainer. Let the kid play for QLD.

I am a proud New South Welshman but why would anyone want this kid to pull on a sky blue jumper after all this?

I'm glad this is happening. I don't want the kid to play for NSW and TBH I don't think he will end up being good enough to play for QLD, but it shows the hypocrisy of QLD wanting to change the rules for 1 player, especially after the Inglis thing.

In amongst all the QLD, there is a giant middle finger from NSW, and it feel so good! God knows we can't win much else against them at the moment!

BennyV

Referee
“It is ridiculous. This is how crazy the decisions are,” Lewis told The Courier-Mail.

“He is a Queensland boy from Queensland parents, born in Queensland, raised in Queensland and played his first football in Queensland. Doesn’t that make him a Queenslander”

Maybe he should cameo in a whingy Courier Fail article about how hard-done-by the Qlderps are despite the fact that they agreed to these rules. That will convince us he's a Queenslander.

mxlegend99

Referee

Why would either state want him at all? Deadset a LONG way from an Origin jersey if he ever even gets one.

It's ridiculous how any glimpse of talent in the halves has people talked up for Origin immediately. A few years back it was Chris Sandow being talked up as a future Origin star. Now look at him. :lol:

I don't see Keary ever representing Queensland. Queensland have Barba and Milford both ahead of him, one will end up at fullback and the other most likely in the halves with DCE.

Silky

Juniors
I'm glad this is happening. I don't want the kid to play for NSW and TBH I don't think he will end up being good enough to play for QLD, but it shows the hypocrisy of QLD wanting to change the rules for 1 player, especially after the Inglis thing.

In amongst all the QLD, there is a giant middle finger from NSW, and it feel so good! God knows we can't win much else against them at the moment!

The Keary thing is nothing like the Inglis thing.

Inglis was born and bred in NSW and spent most of his childhood supporting the Blues, but he chose to play for QLD, which is obviously shit and shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Keary was born and bred in QLD, spent his childhood supporting QLD, and he wants to play for QLD.... i can't even believe there is a discussion.