What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland having a cry

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The Keary thing is nothing like the Inglis thing.

Inglis was born and bred in NSW and spent most of his childhood supporting the Blues, but he chose to play for QLD, which is obviously shit and shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Keary was born and bred in QLD, spent his childhood supporting QLD, and he wants to play for QLD.... i can't even believe there is a discussion.

Yes it's pretty obvious how the situations are different, but good luck convincing some here.

The rules were agreed upon by both states so neither state can complain, but there were always going to be a few players who fell in the cracks as with any change of rules. QLD aren't the victims here, Keary is the one I feel sorry for.

Sime_11

Juniors
if I was Keary, I would sit out Origin (like Jamie Lyon) and not play if he couldnt play for QLD. its obvious he is blooded Queensland, let him play for QLD (if picked of course)

sure as hell dont want someone playing for NSW when he wants to play for QLD instead.

insert.pause

First Grade
wake up please , sonny bill played under 19 origin for the blues

nsw blues origin sonny bill williams ok

but u think his a maroon now :crazy::sarcasm:

I'm sorry, is this suppose to be English?

Did you happen to catch him playing for the kiwis and all blacks since then?

oikee

Juniors
this is completely geniused... Keary WANTS to play for QLD, he is from Queensland, he was born there, his parents are from there... it's a no-brainer. Let the kid play for QLD.

I am a proud New South Welshman but why would anyone want this kid to pull on a sky blue jumper after all this?

Like saying you were born to us, lived here with us for half your life, now your got to go live with the hobbets down in sleepy hollow in New Zealand. ? wtf.

No, now that Wally the immortal has come into the argument, it would be better off dave Smith looking at the complete shamozzle that these nickumpoops have got the eligibility rules into.
The easy way to solve this would have been playing for the state that you played in up to 13 years old, and also the state you were born in as well.

That would have been too easy for the muppets who thought they knew what they were doing.
The code needs to hurry up and get this mess sorted, the game has too many problems without creating more.
The greatest time in the games history and we still cant move forward because of past hold-ups or past stuff-ups.

A 21st century code trapped in draconian laws and clubs run into the ground and still wanting handouts.

Ozzy

First Grade
All I can see here is Queensland throwing a tanty and trying to change the rules they negotiated and agreed to. Keary is the one how is suffering because they are raising his expectations.

Springs

First Grade
Honestly if the kid was born in Queensland, spent his early childhood in Queensland and considers himself a Queenslander, then he is a Queenslander. Why would we want someone who doesn't want to play for us anyway?
It's just dumb to tell him 'you're not a Queenslander'. He was born there and lived there for half his life.

Springs

First Grade
I really don't get the rules at the moment. I thought it was that you had to have lived in the state before you are 13. Keary qualifies for that. What's the problem with him playing for QLD?

Ok so this kid isn't a QLDer, but James McManus and James Tamou are NSWelshman and Greg Inglis is a QLDer. And apparently someone who has never even been to QLD can play for them if their father did. WTF.

The obvious thing is - if a player qualifies under the rules (born there, played football/lived there before turning 13) and wants to play for that state - let them! I fail to see how Keary does not qualify.

Big Pete

Referee
This is how it was decided...

Luke Keary
Which state were you born in? Queensland

In which state did you play the majority of years from U/6s - U/18s. NSW (U/11 - U/18)

In which state did you spend the most time at school K - Y12. NSW (Yr 5 - 12)

In which state did you first participate in a junior representative competition. NSW

For which state did you first play school state representative football? NSW

betcats

Referee
Honestly the kid should be allowed to play for QLD imo, I get why he isnt though.

Anyway f**k QLD.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think David Smith's interview signals the end of this case. As Smith pointed out, there was always going to be a case that challenged the new system and I'm sure the rules will be reviewed down the line and maybe altered to address a situation like this one. Whether it's enough to qualify Keary is another thing entirely and he maybe an unfortunate example.

Even though it doesn't benefit Queensland, I appreciate Smith sticking to his guns on this case and not bending over at the first sign of trouble.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Let the kid play for Queensland. He was born there, lived there until he was 10 (and spent a year there playing Qld Cup), always cheered for them, and wants to play for them. Rules ain't rules when it comes to Origin, and never have been. And let the Courier Fail enjoy their triumphalism. What skin is it really off any New South Welshman's nose if the kid is granted his wish?

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**k him and f**k Queensland

they had to make more rules because they kept stealing players

now you can't change them again

goodplayer

Juniors
I'm sorry, is this suppose to be English?

Did you happen to catch him playing for the kiwis and all blacks since then?

Originally Posted by insert.pause View Post
The fact Daley was attempting to get SBW eligible goes to show it's about winning wearing a blue jersey, it doesn't mean anything anymore. It's disgraceful that it's gotten to the point that a young player can't achieve his dream of playing for his state ,,,,

you see . sonny was always a blue. yet insertpause thought blues was trying to get sonny bill

sonny bill was under 19 origin blues

sonny was only nsw blues origin eligible ;-) :lol:

unlike a few kiwi. papa new guine players for qld . remember , thorn , lamb , the rhino :sarcasm:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Originally Posted by insert.pause View Post
The fact Daley was attempting to get SBW eligible goes to show it's about winning wearing a blue jersey, it doesn't mean anything anymore. It's disgraceful that it's gotten to the point that a young player can't achieve his dream of playing for his state ,,,,

you see . sonny was always a blue. yet insertpause thought blues was trying to get sonny bill

sonny bill was under 19 origin blues

sonny was only nsw blues origin eligible ;-) :lol:

unlike a few kiwi. papa new guine players for qld . remember , thorn , lamb , the rhino :sarcasm:

Thorn had more right to play for QLD than SBW does for NSW.

SBW wouldn't even be eligible under today's criteria.

some11

Referee
He's a glory hunter, besides that was just something that prick Gyngell dished up to piss everyone off.

Springs

First Grade
There's no point making a rule to stop stealing players when it forbids born and bred NSWelshmen and QLDers playing for their home state.

You only have to look at Keary's profile - born QLD, childhood QLD. He's a QLDer. I'm a NSWelshman who complained about Inglis and Folau playing for Queensland when they were clear NSWelshmen. I'm not going to be a hypocrite just because 'f**k QLD'. I don't want to support QLDers, or Fijians or NZers. I want to support players born and raised in this state.