What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland having a cry

isaiah

Bench
Let the kid play for Queensland. He was born there, lived there until he was 10 (and spent a year there playing Qld Cup), always cheered for them, and wants to play for them. Rules ain't rules when it comes to Origin, and never have been. And let the Courier Fail enjoy their triumphalism. What skin is it really off any New South Welshman's nose if the kid is granted his wish?
funny you don't care much now because he isn't even a nrl regular yet. that sort of defeatist attitude lost you inglis. your nsw leaders in the boardroom need to draw the line or it could be 13 straight in 5 years. keary may never be good enough to dominate at origin level, but you have to stand up and win something soon. at least if he doesn't make any nsw teams, he will be lost to us as a handy back-up. we have not only won ON the field in the last 8 years.

Springs

First Grade
funny you don't care much now because he isn't even a nrl regular yet. that sort of defeatist attitude lost you inglis. your nsw leaders in the boardroom need to draw the line or it could be 13 straight in 5 years. keary may never be good enough to dominate at origin level, but you have to stand up and win something soon. at least if he doesn't make any nsw teams, he will be lost to us as a handy back-up. we have not only won ON the field in the last 8 years.

If he never wants to play for NSW, he won't play for NSW. If he one day becomes the best player in the world then Origin will be without it's best player. He's a QLDer. As a NSWelshman I want to be able to defeat QLD at their strongest.
The Inglis situation is entirely different because Inglis isn't a QLDer in any way.

Origin should be about winning on the field, not all this blocking players, playing the eligibility game garbage.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
On the contrary it shows QLDers do not understand State of Origin.

Exhibit A - Greg Inglis
Exhibit B - Brad Thorn

Right so you don't see a difference between a willing participant and being forced.
Bet u have trouble finding a woman.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
On the contrary it shows QLDers do not understand State of Origin.

Exhibit A - Greg Inglis
Exhibit B - Brad Thorn

how many times do we have to go over the inglis story until you dumbies get it. he turned 17 in the year he came and played in the storm feeder system at the norths devils in brisbane. is that simple enough?

I seriously doubt it

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-over-luke-keary/story-fniablkr-1226872710635

Queensland officials refuse to surrender in State of Origin war over Luke Keary

Chris Garry
The Courier-Mail
April 02, 2014 11:00PM

THE battle for Luke Keary has only just started with Queensland Rugby League officials to launch a renewed fight to make the Ipswich prodigy a Maroon.

While Queensland coach Mal Meninga declared Keary’s case was proof State of Origin’s eligibility laws must change.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith last week said while there had not been a final determination on Keary’s eligibility, he anticipated the 22-year-old would be classified a New South Welshman.

Despite Smith’s stance, the QRL is now pushing hard for Keary to be granted an exemption from the laws on compassionate grounds.

The laws were framed by the NRL rules committee in consultation with the ARL Commission late in 2012.

Keary is the first test case. Keary answers four of the five eligibility questions “NSW” even though he was born in Ipswich and only moved to Sydney at age 10.

Officials believe the current criteria places too great an emphasis on a player’s high-school years.

Keary has met with NRL head of football Todd Greenberg and wrote a formal letter to the NRL outlining why he should be deemed eligible for Queensland.

Meninga said Keary deserved to have a proper appeals forum to argue his case.

“I’m extremely disappointed for Luke that there’s no framework within the eligibility rules for him to appeal on compassionate grounds or for them to examine case-by-case circumstances,” he said.

“Luke wants to play for Queensland, he’s a passionate Queenslander.

“I don’t think he’s met with David Smith. David’s been given some direction from those below him but for anybody in the game, not just Luke Keary, you have to have some kind of forum where you can appeal.

“Legally, that’s what happens in society so why can’t it happen in this case.”

Meninga said he was bemused that NSW even wanted Keary when he clearly had no desire to play for them.

Blues coach Laurie Daley is yet to speak to Keary but Meninga, a close friend of Daley’s, has spoken to him several times.

“If I were Laurie (NSW coach Laurie Daley) or a (Blues) selector, I wouldn’t even be thinking about picking Luke Keary,” Meninga said.

“I’m disappointed for him, I’d love to have him in the Queensland system. He wants to be in the Queensland system and I think he deserves to be.”

There is unlikely to be a final ruling on Keary until the off-season as he will be sidelined with a pectoral injury during this year’s Origin series.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Despite Smith’s stance, the QRL is now pushing hard for Keary to be granted an exemption from the laws on compassionate grounds.

this is the most absurd thing i've ever heard

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The current rules are stacked in nsw favour. But what else would u expect. However some sum dumb f**ks from the QRL signed on the line agreeing to this total rubbish.

The Eagle

Juniors
Queensland once said "State of origin will die if we lose tonight"

The haven't lost a series since but this mid season f**k fest still infests the actual NRL

Get rid of it,let them have their precious trophy and let the clubs win premierships instead of being de-railed by this "dead" concept

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Queensland once said "State of origin will die if we lose tonight"

The haven't lost a series since but this mid season f**k fest still infests the actual NRL

Get rid of it,let them have their precious trophy and let the clubs win premierships instead of being de-railed by this "dead" concept

Wow. Are u a rah rah fan?
Your post has me concerned u may be.

BennyV

Referee
“Luke wants to play for Queensland, he’s a passionate Queenslander.

And that's all you need for the maroon jersey, yeah? Passionate QLDerps like Inglis, Teo, Papali and so on...

oikee

Juniors
These new Origin rules have already failed. First test, fail.
The rules have a NSW touch written all over them, and did not even take in State of Birth.
No need to shake your head in disbelief, it is just another Stuff-up to add to the hundreds made by NSW NRL.
They have failed in everything they do, growing the game outside Sydney, and inside, killing internationals, and allowing code hoppers come and go like it's a local park.

'Its time' as a great labor campaign once stated, 'its time' to end the Sydney monopoly and let the game flourish.
Luke Keary and his parents and grand parent are born and bred Queenslanders.
NSW, you really are nothing more than a bunch of morons. Nothing else can be said.
Thats it.

Springs

First Grade
And that's all you need for the maroon jersey, yeah? Passionate QLDerps like Inglis, Teo, Papali and so on...

Nah, he needs to have been born there, lived there half his life and played footy there. And he did all that.
This ruling is so damn stupid.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
They need to simplify the rules. Birth place should be the primary determinant, but allow this to be waived if a player is able to meet other requirements and wants to shift allegiances (i.e., moved before a certain age, played age group football there, etc.).

So, on the basis Keary was born in Queensland, he should be allowed to makes himself available for them. It is only if he wanted to play for NSW that the other factors should be considered.

El Diablo

Post Whore
you can't have stupid rules like that where a player can be eligible for both states

and you can't leave it down to choice either

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
because you make a clear set of rules that decide which state a player he is eligible for

you don't go and then throw the rule book out if a player decides he would prefer to play for the state he is ineligible for