What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2023

Howwy

Juniors
New South Wales 24 def. Queensland 10 (David Fifita, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow tries; Valentine Holmes 1/2 goals)

2-1

A disappointing end to the series for the Maroons. They struggled to generate momentum through the middle and they sorely missed Reece Walsh and Kalyn Ponga on the sweep plays. Brimson returning from injury had a forgettable performance but he was in good company with Valentine Holmes and Harry Grant producing some of their worst footy in this arena.

It'll be interesting to hear why Slater kept Fifita off the field for so long. Dave wasn't having a particularly great game, but chasing points you would have expected him to come on sooner.

The Blues definitely played their best brand of footy and the Maroons couldn't handle their shifts nor their ruck control.

Still, the Maroons will get to lift the shield off the back of one of the greatest never say die houdini efforts. There's still plenty of talent emerging and it does set the stage for another thrilling chapter in Australia's greatest rivalry.

Yes I guess the first shot over the QLD bows was the Walker-Martin no-try in the 3d minute or so.

NSW had "come to play".

Although QLD then scored on their first visit, the vulnerability of our right side soon became apparent with JAC being released on several occasions with a certainty and crispness to NSW's ball movement not previously evident.

Although games "in two halves" certainly do happen, it just shows - especially at the top end of the game - just hw razor-thin the difference is between performing like Mr. Universe versus Pee Wee Herman, with QLD looking just that half-second or so out-of-sync.

isaiah

Bench
Michael molo on an extended bench for pm’s 13.
saw him score 5 for devils v jets when he was u16

Big Pete

Referee
I'm not sure how binding it is, but both Jack Howarth and Benjamin Te Kura have been selected for the Kiwi As Squad.

ALX25

Bench
New thread for next season or continue here?

Also anyone know where Jayden (JJ) Clarkson has ended up?

Yes I guess the first shot over the QLD bows was the Walker-Martin no-try in the 3d minute or so.

NSW had "come to play".

Although QLD then scored on their first visit, the vulnerability of our right side soon became apparent with JAC being released on several occasions with a certainty and crispness to NSW's ball movement not previously evident.

Although games "in two halves" certainly do happen, it just shows - especially at the top end of the game - just hw razor-thin the difference is between performing like Mr. Universe versus Pee Wee Herman, with QLD looking just that half-second or so out-of-sync.
Look at it like this:

Game 3 was a dead rubber. The series had been contested and won in 2 games. This 'effort' and 'display' by the Blues all came in the 1 remaining game which was by definition, inconsequential. As effective as trying to put the smoke back into a cigarette.

When effort might have been effective, when the result had not yet been decided, when effectiveness was called for the Blues reached into their brains trust and resolve and clearly were the less effective opponent. Twice consecutively. Series over in 2.

QLD by comparison fail to act effectively in the inconsequential dead rubber.

It's important that QLD never underestimates a NSW win. By the same token, it might have been better for NSW to have lost a clean sweep than to walk away from this years series thinking they are not far from a series victory. Had game 3 been the decider and NSW lost the series then NSW could maintain that they lost the series but were competitive, having taken the series to a decider. However when NSW lose the series within 2 games, the 'win' in game 3 should not be referenced as a display of 'fightback'. As a fightback it was as effective as inseminating a corpse and announcing that the seed of future victory had been planted. Game 2 was where NSW needed to stage their fightback and they got more smoked than Game 1..

Last edited:

Pumpkin

Juniors
Look at it like this:

Game 3 was a dead rubber. The series had been contested and won in 2 games. This 'effort' and 'display' by the Blues all came in the 1 remaining game which was by definition, inconsequential. As effective as trying to put the smoke back into a cigarette.

When effort might have been effective, when the result had not yet been decided, when effectiveness was called for the Blues reached into their brains trust and resolve and clearly were the less effective opponent. Twice consecutively. Series over in 2.

QLD by comparison fail to act effectively in the inconsequential dead rubber.

It's important that QLD never underestimates a NSW win. By the same token, it might have been better for NSW to have lost a clean sweep than to walk away from this years series thinking they are not far from a series victory. Had game 3 been the decider and NSW lost the series then NSW could maintain that they lost the series but were competitive, having taken the series to a decider. However when NSW lose the series within 2 games, the 'win' in game 3 should not be referenced as a display of 'fightback'. As a fightback it was as effective as inseminating a corpse and announcing that the seed of future victory had been planted. Game 2 was where NSW needed to stage their fightback and they got more smoked than Game 1..
I feel QLD were slightly off their game in game 3.

I feel QLD were slightly off their game in game 3.
Which is the major reason it wasn't a clean sweep. They didn't need to do any more than they did by winning the first 2 games and closing out the series. They didn't over exert themselves to win the dead rubber.

NSW sure shouldn't be proud of winning the dead rubber. It cost the Blues their coach.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Which is the major reason it wasn't a clean sweep. They didn't need to do any more than they did by winning the first 2 games and closing out the series. They didn't over exert themselves to win the dead rubber.

NSW sure shouldn't be proud of winning the dead rubber. It cost the Blues their coach.
In my opinion, they shouldn't play the dead rubber. As much as I dislike Qld, they should be entitled to receive the shield when they are on a high.

In my opinion, they shouldn't play the dead rubber. As much as I dislike Qld, they should be entitled to receive the shield when they are on a high.
Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda.

It is a 3 game series. Play 3 games. Even when it is decided in 2. The concept needs no tinkering unless you want it to go away. QLD got to win the series in front of their fans(the best bit) and raise the shield(the less important bit) on the opposition's turf. Like a statement to the Blues fans that this could have been your celebration if your team hadn't capitulated in the first 2 games. Game 1 was a capitulation from one team and one of the most memorable Origin Upsets ever. Yet the Blues come out and play worse in Game 2? The difference between the QLD team that won Game 1(the attitude) and the Blues greater capitulation in Game 2(ie worse attitude than Game 1) show that despite NSW winning Game 3 there is a gulf between the two teams. A gulf that winning a dead rubber, doesn't span.

NSW have not been smart for a long time. The core of the problem lies away from the playing field. Supposedly NSW reviewed and came up with a strategy when they brought Ricky Stuart on board as coach. Let me tell you, Stuart fell into the same trap of botched planning. He and the rest of the NSW think tank. Their strategy failed them.

I will never be more than vague because it pleases me that they have been making the same off field strategic mistakes. Repeatedly and can't seem to see that. NSW do win when they get it right.

Slater did something daring this year. Since none of us can actually see the future, his success tells me that he has spent a long time considering why a team wins and why it loses and has reached some profitable conclusions. It also tells me how brave he is. It takes courage sometimes to do what is smart in the face of ignorant counterargument. Bill was vindicated.

Last edited:

Pumpkin

Juniors
Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda.

It is a 3 game series. Play 3 games. Even when it is decided in 2. The concept needs no tinkering unless you want it to go away. QLD got to win the series in front of their fans(the best bit) and raise the shield(the less important bit) on the opposition's turf. Like a statement to the Blues fans that this could have been your celebration if your team hadn't capitulated in the first 2 games. Game 1 was a capitulation from one team and one of the most memorable Origin Upsets ever. Yet the Blues come out and play worse in Game 2? The difference between the QLD team that won Game 1(the attitude) and the Blues greater capitulation in Game 2(ie worse attitude than Game 1) show that despite NSW winning Game 3 there is a gulf between the two teams. A gulf that winning a dead rubber, doesn't span.

NSW have not been smart for a long time. The core of the problem lies away from the playing field. Supposedly NSW reviewed and came up with a strategy when they brought Ricky Stuart on board as coach. Let me tell you, Stuart fell into the same trap of botched planning. He and the rest of the NSW think tank. Their strategy failed them.

I will never be more than vague because it pleases me that they have been making the same off field strategic mistakes. Repeatedly and can't seem to see that. NSW do win when they get it right.

Slater did something daring this year. Since none of us can actually see the future, his success tells me that he has spent a long time considering why a team wins and why it loses and has reached some profitable conclusions. It also tells me how brave he is. It takes courage sometimes to do what is smart in the face of ignorant counterargument. Bill was vindicated.
Qld lost game 3, and they were depressed. Now they have to pretend to be happy, and hold up a shield. That's absurd. Playing a dead rubber also potentially has not needed for, adverse effects on the club competition.

Qld lost game 3, and they were depressed. Now they have to pretend to be happy, and hold up a shield. That's absurd. Playing a dead rubber also potentially has not needed for, adverse effects on the club competition.
QLD were so depressed, they celebrated....

NSW pretend to be happy winning the lame duck award. That's absurd congratulating yourself for winning a pile of shit and watch QLD hold up the victory shield in enemy territory.

NSW supporters, as they always do, decry something about the series when they should decry their side's effort in Games 1 and 2. Both teams knew it was a 3 games series. Only one team was prepared to work hard for it.

Pumpkin

Juniors
QLD were so depressed, they celebrated....

NSW pretend to be happy winning the lame duck award. That's absurd congratulating yourself for winning a pile of shit and watch QLD hold up the victory shield in enemy territory.

NSW supporters, as they always do, decry something about the series when they should decry their side's effort in Games 1 and 2. Both teams knew it was a 3 games series. Only one team was prepared to work hard for it.
You don't understand football.

Game 3 2024 looms as a gigantic mountain to climb for the Blues. If NSW wishes to avoid a Game 3 face-off for a decider, they must shut QLD out of the series in the first 2 games. If NSW cannot shut QLD out of a Game win in either of the first 2 Games of next year, they face the daunting task of a Game 3 Suncorp Stadium showdown. The likeliehood of a NSW victory in an Origin decider at Suncorp given their track record is a long shot.

Of course things are a long way off. The pressure is absolutely on the Blues to play flawless Rugby League. The pressure is absolutely on the Blues to turn possession into points. The pressure is absolutely on the Blues to turn field position into a victory. The pressure is on the Blues to not play like the Blues have been.

NSW are falling back into being the team which snatches defeat from the jaws of Victory. They appear to be unable to figure out how to dig their way out of multiple critical mistakes which are on a repeat cycle. Losing 3 out of the last 4 series doesn't imbue the Blues brains trust with a record of merit. More a disaster report.

QLD haven't won 2024 until Game 3 is over. However, of the two teams QLD look to be in the most healthy position to face this series. NSW with a new coach start with a blank slate marred by a sullied record of recent defeats. The Blues have turned pressure on QLD into pressure on themselves.

The pressure on NSW is volcanic. They either shut QLD down completely both early in the series and early in Game 1 itself. They take that volcanic pressure into the kickoff in Game 1 and every QLD point, every QLD try from the very start of Game 1 right through every moment of all of the 3 Origin Games, sets the stage for a NSW implosion. On the other side, every failed NSW play, every poor NSW pass, every shithouse NSW kick takes breath out of the Blues lungs as they shoot themselves in both feet. That failure to impliment a perfect Game in Game 1 ratchets up the stress, poor judgement and rash plays. The pressure on the Blues is like a handicap they cannot offload. The Blues carry that into Game 1 and it increases as they implode. To correct that the Blues must play pefectly. To release that volcanic pressure they cannot make mistakes which hand QLD the advantage. The Blues need to convert every situation into points or face the fact that they don't capitalise. If they don't capitalise early in Game 1 2024 the situation becomes even more critical and the chances of the Blues wheels falling off multiplies. If the pressure of consistent failure resulting from losing 3 of the last 4 series is insurmountable, the Blues will watch the series slip away. Again.

3 consecutive series wins for QLD doesn't look at all unlikely.

Last edited:
The Blues Coach is as of right now a bearer of an unblemished Origin record so his moment of truth remains to be seen. The coach is not at the heart of the Blues problems.The Blues have carried some of their offield strategic Origin errors forward since 2006. 2018/2019/2021 the Blues had a winning strategy. QLD were the ones to get the offield stuff wrong those years. QLD regrouped and made better plans. That's where we are today.

I think NSW should worry about who Bill is lining up to bring into the side over the next few years. He will already have been coaching them in private correspondance about their development for a couple of years. We have a solid line up now and a bit of depth regarding alternatives. Bill will be grooming the next generation now.

Pumpkin

Juniors
You are talking crap as if you can't see. Qld win every year unless we have a far superior team and coach, and we don't have that. We've got a dud coach and an average team.

Latest posts