What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland team for this year

Dazzat

First Grade
Thought I'd start this thread and attempt to keep up with the 75 NSW selection speculation threads here.

1. Slater
2. Tate
3. Hodges
4. Inglis
5. Boyd
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Cherry-Evans
15. Papali
16. Taylor
17. Shillington

18. Milford

Snappy

Coach
Who are the other options for a prop forward bench spot ?

Ben Hannant is down on form and no chance IMO.

Josh McGuire is a chance as I think Mal would value his mobility.

In previous years Martin Kennedy was being talked up but he's not even having an impact for Broncos.

I think Dylan Napa is a Qld'er but IMO he's too raw for Origin.

So looking through things it seems our current prop forward stocks are running low, and I think we'll see a bench of one utility and three second-rowers.

You'd think Ben Teo would get a look in too.

I'd also like to see Jake Friend on an extended bench to get him familiar with the set up.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
Forgot about Jacob Lillyman. Could still be on the radar but doesn't get a starting spot in his club team and Origin may be past him.

gUt

Coach

In previous years Martin Kennedy was being talked up but he's not even having an impact for Broncos.

So looking through things it seems our current prop forward stocks are running low, and I think we'll see a bench of one utility and three second-rowers.

I'd also like to see Jake Friend on an extended bench to get him familiar with the set up.

Really? I reckon he's been going well for us, making up for our general lack of size.

wiputi82

Juniors

Would prefer Brenton Lawrence over all of them.

Snappy

Coach
I thought Brenton Lawrence was from NSW. If's he is from QLD then he'll def be in the mix.

Gut, IMO Kennedy has been going OK, but not really a stand out and again IMO is not having the impact off the bench that is expected of him.

Snappy

Coach
Anyone got a confirmation on Brenton Lawrance. Just had a look at his wiki page.

Born in Mackay. Moved to Adelaide at a young age and started playing league in Adelaide aged 9, and played for aussie schoolboys. Then signed with Raiders and played U18, U20 and reggies for them. Moved to QLD in 2010 to play QLD Cup before being picked up by the Titans.

Seems going by all that he could qualify for NSW.

edit: actually looking at the new criteria it doesnt really mention senior football anymore, and the only criteria out of the six options that he actually fills, is born in QLD, so could be a QLDer after all. (link to eligibility criteria below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenton_Lawrence

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/OriginEligibilityExplained.pdf

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
^Pretty sure I heard he is a Queensderper. Or atleast he sees himself as Queensderper, not sure how the rules have him.

some11

Referee
Really? I reckon he's been going well for us, making up for our general lack of size.

Size doesn't mean squat if you pull the handbrake at the line and cant even manage a quick play the ball.

Dazzat

First Grade
Lawrence is listed on the QRL site as "eligible". Considering Hannant's and Shillington's form, he would be the front runner if Meninga decides to go with three props this year - something he didn't last year. We had three backrowers and Cherry-Evans on the bench.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I still think Boyd should be under pressure (but he won't) and Inglis SHOULD be fullback, he is just better than Slater, however he won't. The bench is a lottery, I really like McGuire, Lawrence, Gillett, and DCE as the bench. I am not sold on David Taylor yet, 3 good games doesn't change this. If he does it for another month MAYBE.

Dazzat

First Grade
Queensland's biggest problem going forward - when will the selectors have the guts to drop Slater or Smith due to poor form.?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I've always rated shillo. It's because I've got the 2010 series on dvd he was superb in that series.
One of the best buys of my life $9.95 for the set and we swept them.
If anyone is interested in gm 1 around the 19th minute Nate Myles does a copybook tackle on Brett white make sure u watch it frame by frame to really appreciate it's quality.

Latest posts