What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Angry_eel

First Grade
Another thing about the V'landys era that is interesting to me at least, is that, as person from outside of Sydney, it feels like all the focus has been forced back onto Sydney, and to a lesser extent Brisbane, again.

The NRL has always been way too Sydney-centric, but under him it feels like the bad old days in the 80s and early 90s when the 'non-Sydney clubs' were to be seen, not heard, and were treated like second class citizens.

It's fascinating, because the last time that happened it was a major contributing factor in the SL war...
Please do explain with examples

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
With the cancellation of the debut North American Rugby League season, the Peter V'Landys bootlickers in the media FINALLY have a working example of a sporting competition going under due to the pandemic.

Expansion teams in 1995 were burdened with paying the travel fees of their opponents when they were at home. For the Cowboys it totalled about $800k a year flying opposition teams up to Townsville. It made all four teams financially unviable and when Super League came around, 3 of the 4 clubs jumped ship just to survive.

PVL is going to slug Brisbane 2 with a $10m fee on top of giving the licence to whoever puts in the highest bid. Manly's CEO wants the fee to be $40m.

This comes on the back of PVL convincing the ARLC to bailout the debt ridden Sharks a few years ago. It gives off the vibe that Sydney's clubs want to be given special treatment and are given privileges not afforded to Brisbane 2 and Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore

numerous things like talking about three grades at nrl when he wa on,y talking about Sydney games, talking about stadium strategies that only focus on Sydney suburbs, afl rusted on states waste of money myopic comments, refusing to call nsw gout bluff on gf location, comments on jnrs when he has no knowledge of jnr growth in other states and so it goes on.....

The Great Dane

First Grade
Frankly if you need examples you haven't been paying attention, but all V'landys' talk about what "the fans" want revolves around Sydney.

More suburban grounds, more suburban "rivalries", three grades on game day, leaked talk of a Sydney conference, etc, etc. All of it targets and/or benefits Sydney first and foremost.

Even his plan to 'fix' bush footy and juniors only really floods money into the elite pathways of the NRL clubs, and seems to be paving the way to set up a process to split country NSW into catchments to feed elite talent directly into the Sydney clubs, which does little to nothing for grassroots footy on the ground in those regions, but benefits, you guessed it, the Sydney clubs.

He supposedly even saved Cronulla from the axe again. Who knows whether or not that's actually true, but I can believe it.

A lot of the covid stuff last year heavily disadvantaged the teams outside of Sydney. TBF some of that was unavoidable (like NZ and Melbourne), but such obvious issues, that could easily have been avoided with a bit of forethought, were totally missed by head office in other cases. It was like the teams outside of Sydney were after thoughts at times.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
With the cancellation of the debut North American Rugby League season, the Peter V'Landys bootlickers in the media FINALLY have a working example of a sporting competition going under due to the pandemic.
The XFL folded early on because of the pandemic, and I'm sure there'd be plenty of other examples as well if we took the time to research it.

I also think it's a little rich to suggest the NARL didn't get off the ground because of covid. It didn't get up because of bad planning and the people behind it being in way above their heads.

I also think it's a little rich to suggest the NARL didn't get off the ground because of covid. It didn't get up because of bad planning and the people behind it being in way above their heads.

I wonder if COVID would’ve killed it off anyway, even if planning and organisers were top notch. A new game with zero history with the community and little corporate traction was never going to survive a pandemic.

typicalfan

Coach
Not hard to find competitions lost money due to the pandemic.

Why is V'landys still in charge of NSW racing? Is it not odd.

Why is the media not questioning this?

Could you imagine if John Grant, who was attacked for driving a sports car, or Dave Smith were wearing two hats?
japorogermeyers2.jpg

mongoose

Coach
Couldn't sleep so started watching the 2009 prelim final Eels vs Bulldogs on Youtube. I know its one game but this puts some things into perspective. The speed of the ruck back then seems to be much faster. There is some wrestle but no where near as much and certainly not in every tackle, so much better to watch. There does seem to be a lot of high tackles but the first point of contact is rarely high, tends to be 2nd or 3rd man in who goes higher but not dangerously. The tackling technique of players generally seems to be better. Put it this way I don't think there was a single concussion in the game. Based on this game I can see what V'landys and the NRL are trying to do. I know its just one game but the way it was played was definitely better than it is now. Is the 6 again rule going to change how teams defend though? not sure...

As far as the crackdown goes I think the refs need to show a bit more intuitiveness between a dangerous high tackle and something that's accidental or innocuous. Not every tackle where a players arm goes near the ball carriers head needs to be a penalty or sin bin.

Tony Archer was a good ref, barely touched the whistle and didn't need to.

Last edited:
The game looks like an amateur snoozefest. Some of the tries that teams score look like park football. No disrespect but it's not a great on field product. I haven't watched union since the world cup but might see how that is come internationals.

Also as to origin, I wonder when vlandys will come to say if the next game is a blow out too. Queensland have poor roster management?

typicalfan

Coach
The game looks like an amateur snoozefest. Some of the tries that teams score look like park football. No disrespect but it's not a great on field product. I haven't watched union since the world cup but might see how that is come internationals.

Also as to origin, I wonder when vlandys will come to say if the next game is a blow out too. Queensland have poor roster management?
Qld were blown out due to the new rules? I thought it was because Tommy and Latrell tore them a new one.

Munky

Coach
Qld were blown out due to the new rules? I thought it was because Tommy and Latrell tore them a new one.

It was all the six agains NSW received...

I reckon the cheapness of technology and rise of analytics is partly responsible.

The analytics reveal flaw in a players game, video of said flaw is distributed in multi angle 4k slow mo. Team then trains all week to expose flaw repeatedly on game day.

The top play makers can do this with ease.

to be fair, during the 2011-2013 series NSW stayed competitive by slowing rucks down to a crawl. Games there would have been blow outs had Qld been allowed to play at the same speed game 1 this year was played at.

That said, this Qld team would struggle to make the top 4 in an NRL season over 25 rounds. The NSW team would walk the league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
to be fair, during the 2011-2013 series NSW stayed competitive by slowing rucks down to a crawl. Games there would have been blow outs had Qld been allowed to play at the same speed game 1 this year was played at.

That said, this Qld team would struggle to make the top 4 in an NRL season over 25 rounds. The NSW team would walk the league.
Another brisbane team will sort it out according to Vlandys lol.