What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamberoo

Juniors
Apparently the ratings have crashed and people are just not watching the game nearly as much. That in it self will force change, because the game is all about its Broadcast value.

Not a fan of the new rule, but the bottom line, they make zero difference to what teams will finish top 5. My main concern is we have so little change in our top teams year after year. The AFL, although Richmond have won two Comps in three years, there has been plenty of movement each year in the top eight. That creates interest, unlike the NRL, where before the season started you could realistically scratch over half the field from having a chance of playing in the GF. The salary cap was introduced to act as a leveler, but clearly doesn’t work for many reason. A Draft would be great, but would be highly unlikely ever to get off the ground.

Anyway the NRL are in big trouble if they can’t get the comp and the contests a lot closer. Going to be interesting to see what Peter V has up his sleeve
Until recently it was the opposite. The draft keeps the AFL winning/losing cycle moving as the bottom team gets first pick and the premier 18th pick and so on. There are no locals playing for any team (except in NSW and Qld), so something similar would be a massive change to the culture of RL. Unlikely to ever happen.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Interestingly Steve Mascord on his latest episode of nospam29 interviews a sports academic who questions Peter V'landys running of the NRL.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Interestingly Steve Mascord on his latest episode of nospam29 interviews a sports academic who questions Peter V'landys running of the NRL.

Statistics show if you just barrack for the mighty penny panfers your qualms will be alleviated.

While I expect this to attract some adverse reaction, I have to say, the best game of rugby / league I have seen this year was the Wallabies v France tonight. It had everything NRL lacks at the moment, ebs and flows, momentum shift and proper defence.

big hit!

Bench
Another few weeks of no 2nd tier footy in NSW. This is why the quality is poor for fringe players

Yet there are kids like Shuster, Burton, Taafe, etc who played little footy last season and are slotting in nicely in their teams.

Character trumps ability. Unfortunately, many clubs (cough - Bulldogs - cough) are signing purely on the latter. When things get a little tough they melt like a paddle pop in the summer heat.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yet there are kids like Shuster, Burton, Taafe, etc who played little footy last season and are slotting in nicely in their teams.

Character trumps ability. Unfortunately, many clubs (cough - Bulldogs - cough) are signing purely on the latter. When things get a little tough they melt like a paddle pop in the summer heat.

Slotting into good systems for odd games is one thing but how would Taafe do playing regular footy

Perth Red

Post Whore
So not content with screwing up the nrl Vlandys is now screwing up international RL. I really hope the players rebel and stick two fIngres up at him and the cowardly arlc and Nzrl by representing other countries where they can!

IRL:
"I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup's biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations. They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations.

Latest posts