What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cannot deny that the game has become very boring over the last few years. Part of it is due to my team being shit since 2017, but much of it comes from the stagnation caused by self-interest of the NRL clubs, NSWRL, QRL and NZRL.

PVL did pique my interest when he sped the game up, removed the second referee and announced expansion was in the pipeline. It was a refreshing change from Greenberg's anti-expanion agenda and attempt to penalise the shit out of teams, which made the game as inconsistent and boring as RU. The problem is the game still has not increased its footprint, games are like touch football and the competition has never been more lopsided since the Super League War was resolved. I don't think PVL is to blame for all of these problems, but as leader he has to bear the brunt of the criticism as that comes with the job.

I cannot speak for others, but I think the longer there is no representation in Adelaide and Perth, with Brisbane and NZ under-represented, the more the game will stagnate and find it harder to retain its position in the market. PVL is not responsible for the NRL failing to deliver a national footprint from 1998-2018, but he has to acknowledge that it's a key area that needs attention.

In my view, the game needs to add teams in Adelaide, Perth, Christchurch, Wellington and another two from the Greater Brisbane region.

The issue is the two weeks quarantine coming back and the quarantine (if any) in the UK. WC’s are nothing new.

If the players are willing to forego their 8 weeks holiday & drop it to 4 weeks like the rest of us, then this may not be an issue.

COVID is a good excuse to use but the RLPA’s enforcement of 8 weeks break under the guise of “player welfare” is what the issue really is.

They can organise player welfare breaks during Origin without it being an issue.

Sorry but why the heck should the players drop their break by 4 weeks? That is the 8 weeks of the year that they actually get to rest their bodies, and many of them use it to have surgery on injuries they have carried for weeks.

Heck in the NFL they get a longer break than 8 weeks, as do NBA players, and whilst in football the off season break varies between 4-6 weeks, players in many comps (bar England) get mid-season breaks where their are no games played (e.g. Germany) so the players can rest, and also in football it is a more squad based game. I'm tired of this b'shit notion too many league fans go on with thinking players can play 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year just because they are paid. Fully fit and rested players play their best.

If you are so keen, why don't you do it? See how you like it living in a bubble and travelling to a country which still has thousands of cases per day of COVID. You can do it in your holidays.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry but why the heck should the players drop their break by 4 weeks? That is the 8 weeks of the year that they actually get to rest their bodies, and many of them use it to have surgery on injuries they have carried for weeks.

Heck in the NFL they get a longer break than 8 weeks, as do NBA players, and whilst in football the off season break varies between 4-6 weeks, players in many comps (bar England) get mid-season breaks where their are no games played (e.g. Germany) so the players can rest, and also in football it is a more squad based game. I'm tired of this b'shit notion too many league fans go on with thinking players can play 24 hours and day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year just because they are paid.

If you are so keen, why don't you do it? See how you like it living in a bubble and travelling to a country which still has thousands of cases per day of COVID. You can do it in your holidays.
for $50k and the chance to play in a world cup for my country I'd give it a crack. They could all have the astra zen jab now and have had the second before they went. Its not player welfare, its NRL not wanting to delay season start by a week or two to benefit the international game and especially the game in UK. Its selfish but understandable as we are a myopic sport and mostly always have been, Vlandys just the latest in a long line of short sighted leaders of the game.

dogslife

Coach
If PVL adds new teams, he would probably do it mid season.
Round 17.

For the first 16 weeks of the competition, we hold a weekly lottery where one player from every team is drawn from a hat to go and play for the new franchise. Their consent in the matter is not important.

We don't worry about the 17th player because by this stage we've reduced the teams in size, because we need even more fatigue in the game. More fatigue = More points dummies! AND THAT'S WHAT THE FANS WANT!

Perth Red

Post Whore
. It has turned into a sht show though and made most games boring this year. 66% of games so far this round have been blow outs.
Make that 75% of games this round were blow outs! The buck stops at the top.

“The good teams have certainly adapted to the new rules. They have adapted to them and the coaches have.
“The ones who were relying on slowing down the ruck, they can’t rely on that any more. … like everything, it will take time for the others to adapt.”
PV a month ago.

Tell us Peter, we are nearly at Rd 21. how long is it going to take the teams to adapt?

Top 5 finals.
Toeing ahead brought back.
2 minute sin bin.
Bulldogs to Brisbane.
Saints to Adelaide.
Tigers to Perth.
Still 16 teams, expansion covered and PVL sits back as a king.

If PVL adds new teams, he would probably do it mid season.
I've never seen a sporting competition change its rules mid-season like the NRL does every year. It would be good if there was a fixed trade period at the end of the season and rule changes were announced at the same time and kept for at least 12 months.

Top 5 finals.
2 minute sin bin.
Bulldogs to Brisbane.
Saints to Adelaide.
Tigers to Perth.
Canterbury Bulldogs to Christchurch so they can keep their name.

Tigers to Brisbane so the Easts Tigers can take their licence. Brisbane Tigers. Having just the one entity owning the licence will be better than the joint venture politics that have plagued this club since 2000.

Sharks to Adelaide.

Bring in West Coast Pirates and Brisbane Dolphins as the 17th and 18th games.

Top 5 finals.
2 minute sin bin.
Bulldogs to Brisbane.
Saints to Adelaide.
Tigers to Perth.

Adelaide Ramdragons

images

Canterbury Bulldogs to Christchurch so they can keep their name.

Tigers to Brisbane so the Easts Tigers can take their licence. Brisbane Tigers. Having just the one entity owning the licence will be better than the joint venture politics that have plagued this club since 2000.

Sharks to Adelaide.

Bring in West Coast Pirates and Brisbane Dolphins as the 17th and 18th games.

Adelaide Ramsharks

images

Mr Spock!

Referee
Make that 75% of games this round were blow outs! The buck stops at the top.

“The good teams have certainly adapted to the new rules. They have adapted to them and the coaches have.
“The ones who were relying on slowing down the ruck, they can’t rely on that any more. … like everything, it will take time for the others to adapt.”
PV a month ago.

Tell us Peter, we are nearly at Rd 21. how long is it going to take the teams to adapt?
Teams which have 10 million dollar forwards on 10 year deals and nuffies like Mbye getting paid a squillion to play interchange have been found out big time.

Latest posts