What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question to Penrith fans about Tim Grant

The Pelican

Juniors
What's happening with Grant. Has he had a falling out with Cleary or something because he is by far your best Front Rower imo. You guys couldn't make a dent in Parra's line today but yet he sits in reserve grade? He's gone from SOO to reserve grade despite being one of the best props in the game imo (correct me if i'm wrong). I'd love to have him at the Roosters starting alongside JWH.

What's wrong. Is Gus and Cleary trying to force him out like Jennings and Lewis etc because i am genuinely confused about it?

soc123_au

Staff member
The rest of us are confused as well. His form has been down on his best, but still should easily make the 17 in any club.

chrisD

Coach
What form? He's played one game and a trial, in which he was good. I was fine with Cleary dropping Grant to bench last season when he allowed opposition players to bulldozer over him for tries two weeks in a row, but somehow I doubt anyone will pay a similar price for the similar softness this week. Grant is as good as gone, there's no way back from being out of Cleary's favour and being out of Cleary's favour seems a pretty common place for star players Cleary didn't get to sign off on.

box57l

Juniors
He was supposedly asked to drop a clause out of his contract a number of weeks back without his manager in attendance, or even in the country, he rightfully refused. The knock on effect is the club will do anything possible to persuade him to leave, you cant say no to the Duke, same treatment Jennings and Lewis received. Its an absolute disgrace, we missed him tonight.

The Pelican

Juniors
It definitely has a Jennings/Lewis feel about it. Would love to see the Roosters pick him up for next year if he is actually not wanted because he is one of the best props in the game when he's on imo.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep. He's gone doesn't get on with the coach. I have no issue not playing him if form's not up to it.

He should of played NSW Cup atleast in round 2. He won't play well with no form... Though the farce that was Manu playing tonight with nothing behind him will happen again before we play a fit Grant.

Cleary has picked only 3 props plenty & everytime it's ended like tonight belted by a very average pack.

Sime_11

Juniors
according to clubs FB account, Tim will not be leaving Penrith.

However doesnt say he has extended etc.

when does his contract expire?

Big Mick

Referee
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...7377766084.177880.204445076084&type=1&theater

|CLUB STATEMENT|

In response to some media reports regarding player Tim Grant, Panthers Executive General Manager Rugby League Phil Gould today confirms that Tim will not be leaving the club.

“It is my hope and I’m sure Tim’s hope, that he gets to play many more years with the Panthers, and that would be the best result for all concerned”.

The club and Tim will not be making any further comment.

BranVan3000

Coach
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...7377766084.177880.204445076084&type=1&theater

|CLUB STATEMENT|

In response to some media reports regarding player Tim Grant, Panthers Executive General Manager Rugby League Phil Gould today confirms that Tim will not be leaving the club.

?It is my hope and I?m sure Tim?s hope, that he gets to play many more years with the Panthers, and that would be the best result for all concerned?.

The club and Tim will not be making any further comment.

Reads like a statement that's worded so Gould won't look like he has contradicted himself if Grant does get released

Gould is a smart operator, he will squeeze every penny out of a release situation to the Panthers advantage

franklin2323

Immortal
Reads like a statement that's worded so Gould won't look like he has contradicted himself if Grant does get released

Gould is a smart operator, he will squeeze every penny out of a release situation to the Panthers advantage

Yeah there was a similar comment about Jennings and not going after Thurston. We don't play stuff out in the media this may just be that.... Though we have to take them for their word

betcats

Referee
Yeah there was a similar comment about Jennings and not going after Thurston. We don't play stuff out in the media this may just be that.... Though we have to take them for their word

I hope its not but I really think this is just that. A press release advising he "hopes" Tim will be here long term is not particularly strong wording from a guy who should 100percent know what the situation is.

I still back Gus to make the right decision on Grant and Mckendry, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried or concerned about whats going on.

franklin2323

Immortal
I hope its not but I really think this is just that. A press release advising he "hopes" Tim will be here long term is not particularly strong wording from a guy who should 100percent know what the situation is.

I still back Gus to make the right decision on Grant and Mckendry, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried or concerned about whats going on.

Both are the age to hit their straps soon. Grant gets the Long serving player allowance and a 3rd party sponsor. Probably put him on the books for to $350-450k which is what he would get elsewhere

Doomednow

Bench
I reckon its something personal. If his contract is up 2015 it makes no sense to move along a prop like himwhen we can get the long service discount, unless we have eyes on someone else. No idea who that would be though.

I reckon its something personal. If his contract is up 2015 it makes no sense to move along a prop like himwhen we can get the long service discount, unless we have eyes on someone else. No idea who that would be though.

I reckon its personal too. You would think with the long serving discount coming up and being one of the few local juniors in the side we would have no problems fitting him in.

JJ

Immortal

Fifita is looking for a gig....:sarcasm:

Seriously though, hope they sort this out - props of Grant's quality are pretty rare

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We'll probably just continue with our experiment of taking one of our most effective ball playing second rowers and turning him into a prop, just so we can guarantee even fewer offloads in the forwards.

MaxPower

Juniors
Fifita is looking for a gig....:sarcasm:

Seriously though, hope they sort this out - props of Grant's quality are pretty rare

Fringe origin quality props ain't rare. Every team has one. Latimore has been doing a similar job to Grant for less than half the price.