What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queue to hire Barry Russell

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Plenty better too. Average half back. Played in some good teams. Rothmans Medal has always been a semi useful guide. The fairness aspect was a big factor at the time he won it. Also refs always noticed halves (they spent their time regulating the scrum feed a great deal more) and gave it to them half the time. Excuse the pun.

His injury in the last game of season 1988 cost the Sharks the chance of a premiership....went out of the semis in straight sets after clinching their first minor premiership.

Was a good player, who formed a lethal partnership with Gavin Miller.

His injury in the last game of season 1988 cost the Sharks the chance of a premiership....went out of the semis in straight sets after clinching their first minor premiership.

Was a good player, who formed a lethal partnership with Gavin Miller.
Would never have got past Balmain with Ellery.

Miller super player; Russell less so.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I was speaking about the medal in both states. Clearly players who weren’t the best in the comp won it too. Your list is a little selective.

Not particularly, Barry Russell was up against Mortimer, Sterling, Langer, Hasler and Stuart in 1988 when he won the award as well as many other great players in different positions.

Not particularly, Barry Russell was up against Mortimer, Sterling, Langer, Hasler and Stuart in 1988 when he won the award as well as many other great players in different positions.
And this essentially proves my original point - the RM was never indicative of the best player in the game. All of those players were better than Russell. Clearly so. His team was in great form in 1988, obviously.

typicalfan

Coach
And this essentially proves my original point - the RM was never indicative of the best player in the game. All of those players were better than Russell. Clearly so. His team was in great form in 1988, obviously.
It was his form that won him the award. Just like how Gavin Miller won it in 1989.

His form was good enough to beat out some of the best halves to ever play the game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

He played half back and was considered a huge influence in the team that won the minor premiership....enough said

He was less of an influence than Miller, ET, McGaw, Docking, even Hatch as captain.

Speechley was arguably the better player in the halves even.

Some serious revisionism going on in this thread.

Pedge1971

First Grade
And Murray schooled Mortimer and Sterling in Origin each year.

You mean that guy who rode the Kings coat tails for 5 to 10 years.

If "pass it to Wally" was schooling those blokes then f**k knows Mitchell Pearce could have been the legend who schooled Turvey and Sterlo....

Pedge1971

First Grade

Not in that year clearly. Was Barba the best player in the game the year he won Dally M?

Is RTS now?

Latest posts