What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Play the Balls

Simon

Juniors
I noticed in last weeks game that the Storm were extremely good at playing the ball quickly which led to them gaining penalties and good metres up the middle of the park. I also noticed that this was as a result of them ending up closer to our try line then our tacklers, allowing them to get up quicker and causing our tacklers to be out of the defensive line quite a fair bit. Teams these days are coming up with these strategies allowing them to play the ball quicker and yet we don't seem to have one. Another example was brought up on NRL on Fox I think which showed the Roosters players managed when they get tackled to land on their arms and knees which gave them an advantage in getting to their feet. These strategies show what high quality coaches can come up with. I'm not giving up on Brown but surely if he can't come up with his own methods the least he could do is follow the lead of these coaches and get the players to use these methods to gain the advantage.

Anonymous

Juniors
Good points Simon. The Storm were great at this last weekend... continually making yards but a lot of the time, it was poor marker play which was letting them do it. That comes down to fitness and the Storm just looked like a fitter outfit. Makes me wonder what happened with Saints the night before.

In simple terms, a quick play-the-ball equals more yards and more possession when the other side are caught offside. A little hard when the other mob are holding you down but as far as I can see, the refs are doing a reasonable job of keeping that in check.

drake

First Grade
If'n I remember rightly, in our game against the warriors we showed some great speed in the play the ball, and caught the warriors out a number of times.
I don't know what happened against the storm, I still haven't got up the stomach to watch the game :(

Anonymous

Juniors
The team that went to Melbourne looked shadow of the team that went to Auckland.
...and on 'paper', they looked stronger in Melbourne.

Inconsistent are Saints. They don't seem to mentally on for every game and you need to be. A top team won't get beaten by a 30 point margin. There defensive line is poor also. They don't seem to be as fit either. Plenty of problems there.

Anonymous

Juniors
They seemed pretty fit in Auckland SR. It was a warm-ish day in Melbourne and like I said, I'd like to know what happened the night before. Pure speculation ofcourse.