What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 Fri - RAIDERS v PANTHERS *Match Thread*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
r20-game1.jpg

Canberra v Penrith
Friday 27 July, 7:30pm
CANBERRA STADIUM, BRUCE ACT
TIX > Ticketek.com.au
Delayed on NINE

LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/liveupdate.php?matchid=198

RefereeOrange.gif

PAUL SIMPKINS
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Matt Cecchin; Video Referee: Chris Ward

Raiders.gif

Canberra Raiders
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN, 2. DAVID MILNE, 3. PHIL GRAHAM, 4. COLIN BEST, 5. BRONX GOODWIN, 6. TODD CARNEY, 7. MICHAEL DOBSON, 8. TROY THOMPSON, 9. LINCOLN WITHERS, 10. SCOTT LOGAN, 11. NIGEL PLUM, 12. GLEN TURNER, 13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
Int - 14. MARSHALL CHALK, 15. DANE TILSE, 16. JOSH MILLER, 17. MICHAEL WEYMAN, 18. JOE PICKER, 19. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE, 20. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS

Panthers.gif

Penrith Panthers

1. Richie Williams, 2. Geoff Daniela, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Maurice Blair, 5. Nick Youngquest, 6. Peter Wallace, 7. Craig Gower (c), 8. Frank Puletua, 9. Keith Peters, 10. Bryan Norrie, 11. Frank Pritchard, 12. Tony Puletua, 13. Nathan Smith.
Int - 14. Tim Grant, 15. Matthew Bell, 16. Mark O'Halloran, 17. Joel Clinton, 18. Paul Aiton

Gates open 5:15pm
PREMIER LEAGUE > Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers, 5:15pm

Elsewhere
JERSEY FLEGG > Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers at Kippax Oval, Saturday 2:00pm​

Timmah

Staff member
Match History...

50 matches overall
Penrith 25 Canberra 24, One draw

At Canberra 17 matches
Canberra 12 Penrith 5

Big wins
Canberra 30-6 @ Canberra, 2000
Penrith 42-8 @ CUA, both 2004 and 1982

Last met
2007 - Canberra 34-18 at CUA
2006 - Penrith 24-12 at CUA, Canberra 21-20 at Canberra

Timmah

Staff member
Late mail from the Tele >

Neville Costigan, the Raiders' rep forward, is poised to make a shock return in jersey 21. Weyman will make way for him after failing a cognisence test. Should Costigan fail his fitness test, Joe Picker in #18 will take his place. Meanwhile, Paul Aiton is expected to drop off the Penrith bench.

Timmah

Staff member
Elliott returns to upset Raiders
July 26, 2007 - 6:06PM

Penrith coach Matt Elliott knew a lot about over-achievement in his five years at Canberra.

This year, he's learnt all about its opposite.

The former Raiders mentor will head back to Canberra Stadium for the first time since linking with the Panthers when the two NRL sides clash on Friday night.

The Raiders reached the finals in four of Elliott's five years at the helm and the original 2007 wooden-spoon favourites are just within striking distance again, four points outside the eight.

Logically, that should mean the last-placed Panthers are within striking distance of avoiding the wooden spoon, four points behind the four sides above them.

"Without sounding conceited, we over achieved and made the semis (in Canberra)," Elliott told AAP.

"I know here this year, with the personnel that we've got, we've under-achieved."

If there's something in the Lake Burley Griffin water, the former St Helens coach has been desperately trying to find it in the Nepean River.

Asked if he'd tried to bring some of the Raiders' against-the-odds grit with him, he said: "Historically we've been able to do that.

"We're in the process of doing that here and I guess the time-frame of that process is something that's shocked me.

"I certainly anticipated that it was going to be quicker and in hindsight may have done some things a little different.

"I probably came here with a tactical base in mind, with a preparation approach in mind and with the expectation that some fundamental emotional and attitudinal things were in place.

"(I thought) all would be inspired by the stuff we brought. I got that wrong."

With stars Craig Gower, Joel Clinton, Luke Priddis and Peter Wallace off-loaded for 2008, Elliott admits he's already planning for next year.

"We've only been out of two games this year," he said.

"We could have quite easily won another four or five games and could have quite easily slipped into the eight, and my suspicion would be if we did that we'd just slip into the eight next year.

"So this actual acute situation that we're confronting isn't entirely a bad thing for us.

"It's probably bad to admit that we have put some time into our off-season preparation but ... this time last year we did that as well."

Elliott's time in the national capital has him convinced the Raiders don't mind the tag of over-achievers - but he said that moniker in 2007 could hinge on Friday's result.

"You don't over-achieve if you avoid the wooden spoon," he said.

"Their season and that tag is probably on the line this weekend because if they finish where they are now and people want to put the over-achievers tag on them, I know that they won't be satisfied with that."

History favours the home side, who have a 12-5 record over Penrith in Canberra and a 34-18 win at CUA Stadium under their belts already this year.

"I still have a lot of feelings for people in Canberra, I really enjoyed my time there," Elliott said.

"I can't see myself being bowled over by a wave of nostalgia but, who knows, it may well happen."

Canberra could be boosted by the inclusion of rugged Queensland forward Neville Costigan for the clash.

Costigan has not played since he broke his hand leading up to Origin III but has trained well this week and could add some extra sting to the Raiders defence.

© 2007 AAP

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/elliott-returns-to-upset-raiders/20075426-pxo.html

posted this in the canberra forum.

27 July 2007View all news | Send to a friend | Print Canberra takes cautious approach with under-repair big guns
David Jean
space.gif

[URL="http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/images/viewimages/?image=329531&size=2"]http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ima...=329531&size=2[/URL]
Canberra Raiders forwards Neville Costigan and Michael Weyman will miss tonight's clash with the Penrith Panthers after failing to overcome injuries.
Raiders coach Neil Henry opted yesterday for caution with Costigan's fractured hand, meaning he will have to wait another week before playing his first game since injuring himself in the lead-up to the third State of Origin match three weeks ago.
Weyman will also miss former coach Matt Elliott's first game back at Canberra Stadium after failing to overcome concussion. The powerful prop failed to convince Raiders doctor Kylie Selwood he had overcome a heavy knock suffered during last Saturday's loss to the Melbourne Storm.
The loss of Costigan and Weyman means Ryan Hinchcliffe, Joe Picker and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs are battling for the final bench spot alongside Josh Miller, Marshall Chalk and Dane Tilse.
Learoyd-Lahrs is likely to line up in Premier League after spending eight weeks on the sideline with a quad injury.
Costigan urged Henry yesterday to play him in the crunch match, which the Raiders must win to stay in contention for a finals berth.
But Henry said the risk was too great, although he had flirted with the idea of selecting his enforcer.
"It's a bit of a risk," Henry said.
"It's only been three weeks and medically it's a little bit early."
Despite not being able to field Costigan and Weyman, Henry was confident his pack would be able to match it with the big Panthers forwards.
Prop Scott Logan will return for his first game in three weeks after missing the Storm game with a virus.
"It's two big packs and I'm looking forward to it," Henry said.
"With the Puletua brothers and [Frank] Pritchard they've got some big backrowers.
"They're a good side and they've clicked at different times and showed they can throw the ball around.
"We just hope it's not [tonight]."
William Zillman and Bronx Goodwin will switch between the wing and fullback again despite both struggling in defence last week.
Henry said Zillman would start the game at the back and the swaps would be less frequent.
He said his back three needed to improve on last week's defensive performance.
"I think defensively both our wingers were caught out on kicks which was a bit poor.
"But a part of that was what was happening on the inside of the line.
"We didn't number up and we had too many on the short side and they found us out.
"I've got no doubt that Matt [Elliott] would have looked at that and they'll maybe try to exploit us with kicks behind our edges."
The Panthers travelled to Canberra yesterday with the same squad Elliott named on Tuesday and are not likely to make any late changes.
Out-of-favour five-eighth Peter Wallace has returned to the starting side, while outspoken youngster Richie Williams has shifted to fullback.
Raiders captain Alan Tongue said it was crucial his team notched a win ahead of road trips to Townsville, Brisbane and Sydney in the final five rounds.
"We need to make the most of our opportunities," Tongue said.
TONIGHT
Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers at Canberra Stadium, 7.30pm. TV Time: Delayed on WIN at 9.30pm. Tickets through Ticketek.
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=rugby+league&story _id=1027927&category=rugby+league

Raider_69

Post Whore
very worried
if canberra turn up to play, we'll win and win well
but we have a habit of playing like sh*te when we're expected to win

innsaneink

Referee
Timmah said:
r20-game1.jpg

Canberra v Penrith
Friday 27 July, 7:30pm
CANBERRA STADIUM, BRUCE ACT
TIX > Ticketek.com.au
Delayed on NINE

LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/liveupdate.php?matchid=198

RefereeOrange.gif

PAUL SIMPKINS
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Matt Cecchin; Video Referee: Chris Ward

Raiders.gif

Canberra Raiders
1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN,
2. DAVID MILNE, 3. PHIL GRAHAM, 4. COLIN BEST, 5. BRONX GOODWIN,
6. TODD CARNEY,
7. MICHAEL DOBSON,

8. TROY THOMPSON, 9. LINCOLN WITHERS, 10. SCOTT LOGAN,
11. NIGEL PLUM, 12. GLEN TURNER,
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)

Int - 14. MARSHALL CHALK, 15. DANE TILSE, 16. JOSH MILLER,
17. MICHAEL WEYMAN, 18. JOE PICKER, 19. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE,
20. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS

Panthers.gif

Penrith Panthers

1. Richie Williams,
2. Geoff Daniela, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Maurice Blair, 5. Nick Youngquest,
6. Peter Wallace, 7. Craig Gower (c),

8. Frank Puletua, 9. Keith Peters, 10. Bryan Norrie,
11. Frank Pritchard, 12. Tony Puletua,
13. Nathan Smith.

Int - 14. Tim Grant, 15. Matthew Bell, 16. Mark O'Halloran,
17. Joel Clinton, 18. Paul Aiton

Gates open 5:15pm
PREMIER LEAGUE > Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers, 5:15pm

Elsewhere
JERSEY FLEGG > Canberra Raiders v Penrith Panthers at Kippax Oval, Saturday 2:00pm​

Much better.[-X

Raider_69

Post Whore
10 minutes gone:

Raiders 4
Penrith 0

Kick to come from canberra, didnt say who or how it was scored
good start lads