What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 Sat - RABBITOHS v TITANS *Match Thread*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
r20-game5.jpg

South Sydney v Gold Coast
Saturday 28 July, 7:30pm
TELSTRA STADIUM, HOMEBUSH BAY NSW
TIX > Ticketek.com.au
LIVE on FOX

LeagueUnlimited LIVE UPDATE

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/liveupdate.php?matchid=202

RefereeYellow.gif

GAVIN BADGER
Sideline Officials: Darren Lang, Allen Foster; Video Referee: Bill Harrigan

RabbitohsWhite.gif

South Sydney Rabbitohs
1. Nathan Merritt, 2. Fetuli Talanoa, 3. Nigel Vagana, 4. Shannon Hegarty, 5. Paul Mellor, 6. Ben Rogers, 7. Eddie Paea, 8. Peter Cusack (c), 9. Issac Luke, 10. Roy Asotasi (c), 11. John Sutton, 12. David Fa’alogo, 13. Dean Widders
Int - 14. Shane Rigon, 15. Luke Stuart, 16. Shannan McPherson, 17. Scott Geddes

Titans.gif

Gold Coast Titans
1. Chris Walker, 2. Jake Webster, 3. Luke O Dwyer, 4. Brett Delaney, 5. Smith Samau, 6. Preston Campbell, 7. Josh Lewis, 8. Luke Bailey (c), 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Ian Donnelly, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Luke Swain
Int - 14. Matthew Hilder, 15. Daniel Conn, 16. Gavin Cooper, 17. Josh Graham, 18. Kris Kahler, 20. James Stosic

Gates open 5:30pm
JERSEY FLEGG > Souths Juniors v Cronulla Sutherland Sharks, 5:35pm

Elsewhere
PREMIER LEAGUE > North Sydney Bears v Western Suburbs Magpies at North Sydney Oval, 8:00pm Friday
JERSEY FLEGG > North Sydney Bears v Western Suburbs Magpies at North Sydney Oval, 6:30pm Friday
QLD CUP > Ispwich Jets v North Qld Young Guns at Mackay Wests, 4:30pm Saturday​

Timmah

Staff member
Friend and Donnelly will contest the grappling charge.

Timmah

Staff member
Match History...

1 match
Gold Coast 1 South Sydney 0

Never met at Telstra

Big wins
Gold Coast 25-18 at Carrara, 2007
South Sydney have not beaten Gold Coast.

Last met
2007 - Gold Coast 25-18 at Carrara

Timmah

Staff member
Where'd you hear that from? Thought he was out for ages :crazy:

Sugar

Bench
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=2013

Rabbitohs v Titans match preview

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Gold Coast Titans
Saturday July 28, 2007
Telstra Stadium
Kick-off: 7.30pm
Referee: Gavin Badger

Head-to-head: Played 1, Titans 1, Rabbitohs 0
Head-to-head at Telstra Stadium: yet to play at this venue
Last match: Titans 25 def. Rabbitohs 18 at Carrara Stadium round 11
Form (last five matches); Rabbitohs

The Rabbitohs are short-priced favourites for this game but the bookies might be over-reading the play.

The Titans are missing some of their stars but still have some big names in their team. If Souths are to qualify for the finals this is a game they need to win but the NRL newcomers will be just as desperate. The home side has really hit some form at the right time of the season winning four of their last seven games after a mid-season slump during which they lost five games on the trot. In contrast the Titans are in a bit of a hole losing their last four straight.

Scott Prince was the key figure in the clubs’ inaugural clash on the Gold Coast in round 11. The classy playmaker scored two tries in that fixture but is missing this week due to a sternum injury. The Titans other big name back dual international Mat Rogers is also missing but Luke O’Dwyer and Brett Delaney are two youngsters who should look forward to challenges like this.

Without Prince and Rogers the Titans can struggle in attack and they will need to lift against an opposition with the third best defence in the NRL.
Souths last start win over the fourth placed Cowboys should give them plenty of confidence especially as their attack looked dangerous.

Halfback Eddie Paea and hooker Issac Luke have retained their spots in the starting side and it will be interesting to see how the Titans try to contain these two young guns.

The Titans forward pack led by Luke Bailey is still a very strong one, with some back-up firepower on the bench. But they will still find it tough going against arguably the most consistent pack in the NRL competition. The Rabbitohs have lost Manase Manuokafoa through a knee injury and another Souths junior Shannan McPherson steps up to take his place.

This tune of this match could well be decided in the opening 20 minutes. If Souths pick up where they left off last week and dominate the Titans the home side’s confidence may be sapped. But if the Titans can ask some questions of the Rabbitohs’ rock solid defence and get some early points on the board they might be able to recapture their form of earlier in the season.

One interesting officiating statistic is that the Rabbitohs have never won a game under Gavin Badger in nine outings.

Key match-ups

Roy Asotasi v Luke Bailey

These two continue to prove their worth as two of the leading props in the NRL who consistently take their sides forward and inspire their team mates. Sure to crash into each other in the middle of the ruck on numerous occasions. Bailey scored two tries last week while Asotasi made 208m and 25 tackles. Whoever has the most impressive stats of these too will in all likelihood be on the winning team.

Eddie Paea v Josh Lewis

Two up-and-coming stars who will be depended upon to get their backlines firing. Both halfbacks are good ball players who can take on the line as well.

John Sutton v Anthony Laffranchi

This is Sutton’s second game back from shoulder surgery and he will be looking to put his stamp on the game. His offloads out wide offer the Rabbitohs great second phase play. Laffranchi is the Titans unsung hero this year, and figures well in many of the key statistics. Can get a good ball away in traffic also.

Players to watch

Nathan Merritt

He had ad an outstanding game at fullback from the outset last week. Runs the ball back strongly and swiftly and loves sniffing around the ruck following up the big forwards. The more time he spends in the no.1 jersey the better he is likely to get.

Chris Walker

Returns to the Titans side after much publicised problems with alcohol. Can be brilliant on his day, but can have his off games as well. Is certain to be tested under the high ball and by a rabid kick-chase team.

Preston Campbell

Much falls upon his shoulders with Prince out but he can crack the best of defences on his own. Will be looking to make up for lost time during injury.

Teams

1. Nathan Merritt
2. Fetuli Talanoa
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Shannon Hegarty
5. Paul Mellor
6. Ben Rogers
7. Eddie Paea
8. Peter Cusack (c)
9. Issac Luke
10. Roy Asotasi (c)
11. John Sutton
12. David Fa’alogo
13. Dean Widders
Interchange
14. Shane Rigon
15. Luke Stuart
16. Shannan McPherson
17. Scott Geddes

Coach – Jason Taylor

Gold Coast Titans

1. Chris Walker
2. Jake Webster
3. Luke O'Dwyer
4. Brett Delaney
5. Smith Samau
6. Preston Campbell
7. Josh Lewis
8. Luke Bailey (c)
9. TBA
10. Ian Donnelly
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange

14. Matt Hilder
15. Daniel Conn
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Josh Graham
18. Kris Kahler,
20. James Stosic
(two to be omitted)

Coach – John Cartwright

Timmah

Staff member
Titans unsure of Rogers fitness
July 27, 2007

GOLD COAST coach John Cartwright is confident Mat Rogers will play against South Sydney tomorrow night but the former rugby union rep isn't so sure.

Rogers has missed the Titans' past three matches - defeats to Brisbane, Canberra and Bulldogs - after fracturing his knee during a 22-6 NRL loss to the New Zealand Warriors on June 30.

The 10th-placed Titans are walking a tightrope in its quest to make the NRL finals and Rogers is desperate to come back a fortnight early from a knee injury which medical staff initially said would sideline him for six weeks.

"He's confident and the doc says there no reason why he shouldn't play," Cartwright said about Rogers, who trained with the team today in a sharp, 90-minute session.

"We'll ice him up, get him down to Sydney and see how he is tomorrow.

"We're hopeful. He's come through the session and he's had a good week outside of that."

Cartwright said he wouldn't risk playing Rogers if he feared the 31-year-old dual international would break down again.

The coach said he had learnt his lesson after rushing back Titans co-captain Scott Prince against Canberra two weeks ago only to see the classy halfback suffer a recurrence of a collarbone injury that ruled him out for another three weeks.

"We've got six games to play and anything can happen," Cartwright said.

"The medical staff are pretty confident that he'll get through."

A cautious Rogers didn't exactly share that confidence when he spoke to reporters after training today.

"I feel a little bit sore at the minute but if I wait until I'm not sore at all, I could be waiting until next year," he said.

"Fingers crossed I'll be able to play but I'm not holding my breath.

"The knee probably isn't moving as freely as I'd like. It'll probably break again if I get whacked on it.

"Whether the coach wants to risk that against a player who's fit and can play and possibly risk me hurting myself again, it's up to him."

The Titans will welcome back key forward Anthony Laffranchi from a knee injury against the Rabbitohs, which is equal with Gold Coast on 18 competition points.

Rogers admits the lure of an early comeback to help out a team low on confidence has played on his mind.

"It does have some impact (on my decision) but we still have five games after this one so winning or losing this game isn't the be-all and end-all of our season," he noted.

"You have to weigh up the risk versus reward factor I suppose and I haven't played for three weeks.
"I could go out there and play terrible."

Rogers will replace Luke O'Dwyer in the starting line-up if he's passed fit to play against the Rabbitohs.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22143892-23214,00.html

Sugar

Bench
We have been cursed before the whistle blows,The Punters,RLW,BL and every person in the tipping comp at work has picked us.(not sure how the sydney newspapers experts tipped)

Titans by 14

Choppies

Coach
Tipped the Tits. You don't get flogged twice then don't put up an effort the following week.
it'll be close but im going Titans by 6. But would not be surprised of the Rabbitohs got up.

innsaneink

Referee
Has there been a memo go out to all the clubs, or has Bill Harrigan just decided off his own bat to change the role of the VR once again?

Twice now tonite hes interjected and over-ruled on field ref Badger....one to tell him to put Fa-aolog on report, the second to change a scrum feed from Souths to GC..

I thought this sort of thing was done with lastyear?

Choppies

Coach
Not taking anything away from the Rabbits it was a good win but they really got out of gaol there.
Tits really should have taken that field goal when they had 3 or 4 attacking sets.
From the parts I saw the Rabbitohs really had nothing in attack and looked very lost at times.
Just alot of wrong options from both teams really.