What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Mr Red

First Grade
This is exactly what I was trying to talk about a couple of months back. St.George may be very famous, and have a glorious past, but we don't have a hip or cool image that will attract the new fans! Who's attracting new fans? Souths, Dogs, Easts to an extent, and the warriors too. The Dragons marketing is just utterly f**king lazy and complacent. The Dogs opening a team store in f**king Hurstville, Saints heartland, is a sign of a club putting in the effort to get that competitive advantage off the field. I mean Christ, I've only just recently studied the subject of basic marketing fundamentals at Uni, and yet I honestly think I can do a better job at the dragons.

Winning helps your brand, but it doesn't complete it. The saints need to tap into the deep lying values the new generation of fans have for their team, i.e, hip or cool to be seen supporting, badass, etc. What did the Dragons do marketing wise to capitalise on their success in 2009/2010? Nothing. Zip. Resting on their laurels again. Sure, the dragons may target the values of history and success, but that doesn't work with the new generation, because they live in the present, not the past, and it's only something which the older generation like you guys can 100% relate with. Saints need to shake off the cob webs of the 50s, 60s's and 70's and get a new make over, just like Souths did in a very familiar situation.

its all about having the marquee player and marketing them successfully, and the brand of footy on the field which attracts fans..

Roosters: SBW + good attacking footy
Dogs have been riding the Ben Barba wave up until now... with good attacking footy
Rabbits ride the Burgess brothers wave... and play good attacking footy
tigers did the same with Benji Marshall for many years....

Dragons dont have the marquee superstar (maybe Dugan might be the answer?) that young kids can copy when they play and relate to... and have no attacking football qualities what so ever....

we need to recruit an out and out superstar, market the crap out of him ... and start scoring points... the rest will start to fall into place on the back of this..

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
It irks me how Doust doesn't stfu about the 'brand', yet the club clearly invests nothing into truly achieving a desirable brand.

Father Ted

First Grade
And knocked back 250k not moving the game. Yeah top decision that was lol

Move with the times mate or be left behind like a skid mark.

Trouble with the times is we had the best money making club in the game and astute leadership, We downed tools ,sat back and did'nt go on with it and now we have marketing spin with little substance .They sat and fiddled while the Leagues club sank without trace

This won't work imo because they utterly refused to talk to or consult with their supporters . It looks about 50/50 pro and con The Dragons are a pissed off house devided and if the club has another poor year in front of boycotting fans there could be real trouble. Sadly they are the real times we live in. Don't get how you can be upbeat about this tradegy on the rise?

steggz

Juniors
A few thoughts after trawling through this thread:

1. I'm not against the idea of moving games to bigger grounds, but it has to be the right game and the right ground. SFS for games v Roosters (ANZAC Day) and Bunnies (heritage, not at the SCG please) make some sense. ANZAC day will now always attract 35k+.

2. Homebush isn't a good ground to watch at, and the atmosphere doesn't kick in till the crowd is over 50k.

3. SFS is fine to get to. Special event buses run from Central up the hill. People complaining about the walk are misinformed.

4. If I were to bring this deal into effect, it would have been 5-5-2, with only ANZAC Day and one other game moving.

5. We won't play at Kogarah forever. The move will come in time, and only games v interstate/regional sides will be played at Jubilee or Wollongong.

jenninga

First Grade
Not 100% true nick.
Book of Feuds, Pride of the League, 20 Premmys, when Souths are going well blah, blah.
They leverage their past as well.
I see what you are saying though and more needs to be done.

Biggest myth,League had been doing well for 40 years while they have been sh*t.

jenninga

First Grade
its all about having the marquee player and marketing them successfully, and the brand of footy on the field which attracts fans..

Roosters: SBW + good attacking footy
Dogs have been riding the Ben Barba wave up until now... with good attacking footy
Rabbits ride the Burgess brothers wave... and play good attacking footy
tigers did the same with Benji Marshall for many years....

Dragons dont have the marquee superstar (maybe Dugan might be the answer?) that young kids can copy when they play and relate to... and have no attacking football qualities what so ever....

we need to recruit an out and out superstar, market the crap out of him ... and start scoring points... the rest will start to fall into place on the back of this..

Great point.I reckon with Dugan and who we have recruited we will be a more exciting team to watch next year,and we should build on that.

bottle

Coach
And yes I agree, myth.
Helps them sleep at night though. Those cardboard boxes can be very uncomfortable I suspect.

_Johnsy

Referee
You look at companies who are in the business of selling their product.
Extremely successful ones constantly evolve and continue to work & improve their product (this of course involves a slick well oiled PR machine who get their demographic).

All others generally fall by the wayside, nokia springs to mind.

How can we go from premiers to a rabble in 2-3 short years. Utterly disgraceful.

gorilla

First Grade
2. Homebush isn't a good ground to watch at, and the atmosphere doesn't kick in till the crowd is over 50k.

We won't play at Kogarah forever. The move will come in time, and only games v interstate/regional sides will be played at Jubilee or Wollongong.

The Stadium is bad, man.

Bad lines to watch, too far away and guess what, as well, I'm a jinx there.

Every game I've been to see there, we lost.

I did the ultimate and watched the game at the Club (GF 2010).

I'll never go there.

SFS is OK.

I'll travel to WIN on occasions and always keep my ticket to KoJo.

A big game against anyone that will draw qbout 20K should always be played at KoJo or WIN.

TruSaint

Referee
The Stadium is bad, man.

Bad lines to watch, too far away and guess what, as well, I'm a jinx there.

Every game I've been to see there, we lost.

I did the ultimate and watched the game at the Club (GF 2010).

I'll never go there.

SFS is OK.

I'll travel to WIN on occasions and always keep my ticket to KoJo.

A big game against anyone that will draw qbout 20K should always be played at KoJo or WIN.

Gorilla, whats your record like at the SFS?

gorilla

First Grade
The thread?s gone a bit all over the place, but I?d sort of like to get back on topic. On the third page I expressed my macro opinion: That we need to keep a home ground advantage and a unifying cultural identity that?s anchored within a community. To me, this seems particularly crucial given that we?re shit right now. When I say shit, I?m basing that on being officially third last, having what looks like the worst pack in the comp and being a heartbeat away from having another water bottle carrier as head coach. In those circumstances, f***, we need every small advantage we can cling to. Especially in light of our experience in the second half of the 80s when we were also shit and nomadic at the same time and we bounced around the bottom end of the table for more than half a decade. I think we could easily dip into that sort of LOL@Saints spiral, if we haven?t already.

So, my first thought is to put that desperate need for minor advantage wherever we can get it ahead of amenities, convenience and the fact that I can walk to Allianz and the SCG and get proper food and a good coffee on the way. (f*** you all, I am a marshamallow eater).

But I can see another side to the argument. It?s not unreasonable for slackboy to raise the financial benefits of the move and it?s not unreasonable to suggest that a successful (remember success,? f****ng distant memory now) Saints side should be playing at a premium, contemporary venue in front of 25K plus crowds. Which is why, when R2K emerged in the early 2000s I was ambivalent to the cause, even though R2K himself is simply one of the greatest people alive.

I thought at the time, as I sort of think now ?f*** it, win a comp out of the SFS and it becomes as much a part of our lore and tradition as the holy land of Kogarah?. We didn?t win that comp, of course, and we scuttled back to Jubilee and WIN with our tails between our legs. That, to me, was a missed opportunity. If we hadn?t kept re-signing Farrar or giving the job to SG Ball standard novices we might have a couple more premierships under our belt and be regularly playing at the SFS to average crowds of 20K plus.

Here?s my challenge, then to Doust, who, to put my cards on the table, I see as a bit of a suburban hack rather than the sort of dynamic and entrepreneurial leader a club such as ours genuinely needs. FFS, stop buying f****ng reserve graders. No, stop buying them, seriously. Stop signing minor league level coaches because they?re cheap and you can push them around. Aim up hard to win the comp in 2015 now that you?ve already blown 2014. And then maybe, in 2016 people will be a bit more mellow about accepting that the best club deserves to play at the best ground in front of the biggest crowds.

I hate to say it, but there is nothing -- nothing -- that we can talk about that doesn?t come directly back to winning the comp. We are all unprepared to wait until 2041, wherever the f*** we play.

You've got to parse your paragraphs, man.

Put some space in your ideas so people get to grips with it.

Think verbal delivery.

gorilla

First Grade
Gorilla, whats your record like at the SFS?

OOh, meant the Telstra / Olympic stadium is bad.

SFS (stadium) is Ok for me.

Waddahya mean (stadium questions, if SFS) ?

1. Have I been there ?

2. How often have I been there ?

3. Am I cogniscent when I'm there ?

4. Have i been ejected ?

Answers (not 1st Q obs):

1. yes

2. Maybe 20 times over about 10 years - saw every Charity Shield there +

3. Within limits, depends who I'm talking to and what their capacity for transidential gibberish is.

4. Nej.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Waddahya mean ?

Have I been there ?

How often have I been there ?

Am I cogniscent when I'm there ?

Have i been ejected ?

Answers (not 1st Q obs):
yes
20 times over about 10 years - saw every Charity Shield there +

Within limits, depends who I'm talking to.

Nej.

Nah buddy... i was fair dinkum.
Couldnt believe you havent watched us win at ANZ.
Apart from it being a sh...hole to play league, no wonder you went to the club in 2010. lol

gorilla

First Grade
Nah buddy... i was fair dinkum.
Couldnt believe you havent watched us win at ANZ.
Apart from it being a sh...hole to play league, no wonder you went to the club in 2010. lol

Seriously, it's totally f**ked.

I even had special seats from an ex-player (penrith boy).

My whole family went !!!

The only time I was envious (as I enjoyed every other second of it) was when Rexxy and Willow caught up with me at KoJo afterwards and told me about the rain drifting down, looking into the stadium lights with tears in their eyes, realising we'd won and the chants and euphoria of it all.

Still, all for a win.

I cheat tho' (and only this), I think I saw us win a Charity Shield out there one year....

TruSaint

Referee
Seriously, it's totally f**ked.

I even had special seats from an ex-player (penrith boy).

My whole family went !!!

The only time I was envious (as I enjoyed every other second of it) was when Rexxy and Willow caught up with me at KoJo afterwards and told me about the rain drifting down, looking into the stadium lights with tears in their eyes, realising we'd won and the chants and euphoria of it all.

Still, all for a win.

I cheat tho' (and only this), I think I saw us win a Charity Shield out there one year....

You took one for the team.......

Mate you are dead right... I dont care how they reconfigure it, it aint for our game.
You were in good company with W and Rexxy...
So we can expect the Gorilla at the Charity Shield this year???

Cheers

Willow

Assistant Moderator
. SFS is fine to get to. Special event buses run from Central up the hill. People complaining about the walk are misinformed.
You missed the point, and the joke. Could have been in the delivery. Fortunately, my ongoing daytime employment hasn't been abandoned, so nothing has been lost.

And we were talking about the SCG, not the SFS.

On the subject, when will people realise that the SCG is not a Rugby League ground? The League ditched it in the 1980s - like many of us I went there in olden times when we didn't know any better. But then a purpose built RL field was upgraded NEXT DOOR.

I get the history and tradition, in fact I love it and like the idea of the occasional RL game being played at the home of cricket. But no way should the SCG put up as an ongoing seasonal fixture - to do so makes any potential career in comedy look like a gimme. I smell money changing hands.

People talk about moving the game forward but then pin up the SCG as the fix. You know, it doesn't make sense.

Latest posts