What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R95's Post Match Reviews: Round 1 vs. Tigers

rabbitohs95

Bench
So I thought that I'd start my own little thread segments this year where I review the games. Hopefully this becomes a little hub for post match discussion.

Anyway, what a dismal game that was.

There's something that the Tigers do against us that gets them up another gear and tear us to shreds. The offloads

Our forward pack was quite pathetic and were out played in every facet of the game. Because of that, our halves and backs struggled.

The lateral defence is something of a worry. The likes of Tom Burgess and John Sutton got caught out multiple times with arm swings which lead to linebreaks. The rest of the pack were ineffective and I thought the only ones who could hold their heads high were Sam Burgess who at least tried to create something and Zane Musgrove who ran with intent with every run.

The halves were a bit disjointed and Luke Kelly struggled majorly, although he did put in some decent kicks. However they were far and few between and Cody Walker failed to put in many if any at all.

In his first game in red and green Robbie Farah did alright. His distribution was a bit slow but he did try to get the team on the front foot. Damien Cook came in late and brought some spark back into the side, and personally I think he should be getting more minutes as he helped to change the shape of our attack, granted it was too late.

Greg Inglis is a very big worry for me. At first I thought he had done his ACL. I've never seen him limping that badly and I really hope we give him a few weeks rest, especially against the likes of Manly and Newcastle. Hymel Hunt's concussion shouldn't be too much of a worry but it definitely didn't help our cause.

For what was left of the backs they didn't do great, but praise needs to go to Bryson Goodwin who once again put in 100%. The only real fault I had with him was goalkicking and tbh it could've made a difference but to score a hattrick in a losing side is no easy job and I thought he should've been playing at centre as Sifa Talakai looked a bit lost at times. Put on a few hits but was found out way too easily at times.

Besides Cook the bench provided very little impact and I think little reshuffle needs to happen for the side to get back into the winner's circle.

Overall I'll give the side a 4/10 for this one. The lack of commitment in defence was a worry but there were still glimpses of creativity which makes it even more frustrating when we go for those one up hit ups.

Anyway onwards and upwards here's to a win at Brookvale tomorrow.

Rabbits20

Immortal
So I thought that I'd start my own little thread segments this year where I review the games. Hopefully this becomes a little hub for post match discussion.

Anyway, what a dismal game that was.

There's something that the Tigers do against us that gets them up another gear and tear us to shreds. The offloads

Our forward pack was quite pathetic and were out played in every facet of the game. Because of that, our halves and backs struggled.

The lateral defence is something of a worry. The likes of Tom Burgess and John Sutton got caught out multiple times with arm swings which lead to linebreaks. The rest of the pack were ineffective and I thought the only ones who could hold their heads high were Sam Burgess who at least tried to create something and Zane Musgrove who ran with intent with every run.

The halves were a bit disjointed and Luke Kelly struggled majorly, although he did put in some decent kicks. However they were far and few between and Cody Walker failed to put in many if any at all.

In his first game in red and green Robbie Farah did alright. His distribution was a bit slow but he did try to get the team on the front foot. Damien Cook came in late and brought some spark back into the side, and personally I think he should be getting more minutes as he helped to change the shape of our attack, granted it was too late.

Greg Inglis is a very big worry for me. At first I thought he had done his ACL. I've never seen him limping that badly and I really hope we give him a few weeks rest, especially against the likes of Manly and Newcastle. Hymel Hunt's concussion shouldn't be too much of a worry but it definitely didn't help our cause.

For what was left of the backs they didn't do great, but praise needs to go to Bryson Goodwin who once again put in 100%. The only real fault I had with him was goalkicking and tbh it could've made a difference but to score a hattrick in a losing side is no easy job and I thought he should've been playing at centre as Sifa Talakai looked a bit lost at times. Put on a few hits but was found out way too easily at times.

Besides Cook the bench provided very little impact and I think little reshuffle needs to happen for the side to get back into the winner's circle.

Overall I'll give the side a 4/10 for this one. The lack of commitment in defence was a worry but there were still glimpses of creativity which makes it even more frustrating when we go for those one up hit ups.

Anyway onwards and upwards here's to a win at Brookvale tomorrow.
Hello R95 I'm going to give my view.

GI is a big worry. He has to be out for at least a month I would say.

AJ is ordinary imo. Gets ragdolled. In defence at fullback he really struggles. I expected more and I'm very disappointed.

Hunt well what a shame with his concussion.

Talakai as I've told everyone in here isn't confident in his defence. He is too slow as well. Talakai ran the ball solidly but that was it. He must be dropped for his shithouse defence. He's out of his depth.

Goodwin was our best player imo. The forwards weren't aiming up and he made 13 hit ups for 113metres. He busted his arse off. Plus he scored that hat trick and his last try was brilliant. He's shown up the haters on here R95 as he always does. Yes he's getting older and not that fast but he won't let us down. He's a good player. He tries to set the example. Shame about his goal kicking.

Cody had a couple of good plays setting GI up and making a break in the first half. He didn't play well in the second half though.

Kelly. Nearly everyone at the game was furious with his selection in my bay. Look at the comments all over Souths Facebook, most want him out ASAP. Overall his kicking game wasn't up to standard. His kicks were shallow and straight down Tedesco's throat. Tigers got good field position as some of his bombs went nowhere. I also thought he wasn't good defensively. He just isn't a first grade player and can't create anything. Send him back to Wentworthville, that's if he makes their side. Farah to halfback next week must happen and Cook to hooker. If Madge keeps persisting with poor players who aren't up to it he will lose his job, mark my words.

Musgrove: He tried hard. Looked a bit of the pace at times. Some of his runs were good but other times he got forced back.

Farah: It was hard for him as our forwards didn't go forwards well. Farah tried very hard I thought and put in some good kicks. He has some creativity and his kicking game is better than Kelly. He has to go to half and that way we can play Cook and him on field at the same time.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Talaki dropped? He was our best player along with musgrove. Kid worked his ass off overtime. Goodwin our best for falling over the line a few times when the game was over? I'm more worried about the bombed tries when we wee still in it.

Kelly won't be dropped. If you are expecting Reynolds type performances then you are going to be disappointed. He did his jobs in tough circumstances. He lost his fullback and his centre early so the backline was disjointed, and his forward pack Gave him no platform. If you hate those big bombs down the fullbacks throat then you must hate Reynolds because maguire regularly gives him the same instructions

rabbitohs95

Bench
Hello R95 I'm going to give my view.

GI is a big worry. He has to be out for at least a month I would say.

AJ is ordinary imo. Gets ragdolled. In defence at fullback he really struggles. I expected more and I'm very disappointed.

Hunt well what a shame with his concussion.

Talakai as I've told everyone in here isn't confident in his defence. He is too slow as well. Talakai ran the ball solidly but that was it. He must be dropped for his shithouse defence. He's out of his depth.

Goodwin was our best player imo. The forwards weren't aiming up and he made 13 hit ups for 113metres. He busted his arse off. Plus he scored that hat trick and his last try was brilliant. He's shown up the haters on here R95 as he always does. Yes he's getting older and not that fast but he won't let us down. He's a good player. He tries to set the example. Shame about his goal kicking.

Cody had a couple of good plays setting GI up and making a break in the first half. He didn't play well in the second half though.

Kelly. Nearly everyone at the game was furious with his selection in my bay. Look at the comments all over Souths Facebook, most want him out ASAP. Overall his kicking game wasn't up to standard. His kicks were shallow and straight down Tedesco's throat. Tigers got good field position as some of his bombs went nowhere. I also thought he wasn't good defensively. He just isn't a first grade player and can't create anything. Send him back to Wentworthville, that's if he makes their side. Farah to halfback next week must happen and Cook to hooker. If Madge keeps persisting with poor players who aren't up to it he will lose his job, mark my words.

Musgrove: He tried hard. Looked a bit of the pace at times. Some of his runs were good but other times he got forced back.

Farah: It was hard for him as our forwards didn't go forwards well. Farah tried very hard I thought and put in some good kicks. He has some creativity and his kicking game is better than Kelly. He has to go to half and that way we can play Cook and him on field at the same time.

Hard to disagree with most of that.

Changes for next week;

- Goodwin for Talakai, Burns to the wing

- Crichton in for someone

- Possibly Farah for Kelly and Cook starting at hooker but look I thought Kelly just didn't have the support from his forwards. His kicks were very Keary like but he put in a few good ones too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Tyrrell: He just can't bend the line. He gets forced back. It's same old. We tried selling him in the off season but no one wanted him. Tyrrell struggles getting back the 10 metres too and before he's turned around the opposition player is past him. Tyrrell is too slow imo. If Madge is fair dinkum he has to be dropped. The highlight of the night for me is when they said late in the game Clark is off replaced by Tyrrell. Everyone in my bay laughed and said how these two keep getting selected is beyond them. Madge is digging his grave many were saying.

Sutton: He has been great for us as we know for many years but he's getting older and you can tell. He seemed off the pace and couldn't keep up. When he was tackling at times he was slapping and clutching into thin air.

Turner: Was also slapping in defence. He must have missed 6 tackles. 2 of the Tigers tries with their play started as Turner missed 2 important tackles. Turner imo is slow and pedestrian. He also couldn't keep up with the pace. His runs didn't have any venom either. Very disappointing.

Sam: Well he was very good. He busted his arse off but he can't carry the whole pack. Sam is by far the only guy tonight in our starting pack that was keeping up with the game. Sam defended well and hit hard too I thought. I feel sorry for Sam as he had no support.

Cook: Well he got us moving. He had very good spark. He needed to come on earlier though. I hope he gets the hooker role next week as I said. Lots in my bay were furious Cook comes on when the game is over. It's a waste. Cook imo will be a representative player. He has loads of potential.

Clark: Well he's not big enough like Tyrrell. Clark got forced back and ragdolled as I predicted. Clark can bend the line either which is a problem and he's so slow.

Tom: Didn't but the ball up with energy. Was slapping trying to tackle into thin air.

Rochow: I'm disappointed. I expected more. He just played like a plodder with no leg drive in his hit ups.

Sorry to be negative R95 but I feel we are in for a long season. Unless Madge makes changes he will lose his job.

Next week I'd go with:

1. AJ
2. Burns
3. Hunt
4. Jennings
5. Goodwin
6. Cody
7. Farah
8. Musgrove
9. Cook
10. G. Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Crichton
13. S. Burgess

14. Turner
15. Crichton
16. T. Burgess
17. Cherrington

Thoughts R95????

Don't let anyone feel safe mate. Start sweeping the vroom through a bit.

Crichton is a must and George has to come back. At least George can make metres and bend the line (I know his handling is an issue but it's worth the risk)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hard to disagree with most of that.

Changes for next week;

- Goodwin for Talakai, Burns to the wing

- Crichton in for someone

- Possibly Farah for Kelly and Cook starting at hooker but look I thought Kelly just didn't have the support from his forwards. His kicks were very Keary like but he put in a few good ones too.
Sorry R95. If we are fair dinkum here Kelly doesn't cut it. Do you want me to show you the Souths Facebook page???? We can start a tally of the guys that say Kelly, Clark and Tyrrell must be dropped. Plus that Talakai is a defensive liability.

I'm happy to provide you this information R95.

As for Diego R95 I feel it's best I don't talk to him as he will completely disagree with everything I say and try to wind me up.

As long as you and I know the truth R95 and understand guys need to be put in notice. Make them accountable for their actions mate.

DiegoNT

First Grade
If inglis is out, and hunt is cleared

1. Aj
2. Burns
3. Hunt (Goodwin if hunt out)
4. Talaki
5. Goodwin ( Jennings if hunt out)
6. Walker
7. Kelly
8. Musgrove
9. Farah
10. Tyrell
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. Sam

14. Cook
15. Clark
16. Tom
17. Chricton

18. Rochow
19. Cherrington
20. George
21. Jennings

rabbitohs95

Bench
Tyrrell: He just can't bend the line. He gets forced back. It's same old. We tried selling him in the off season but no one wanted him. Tyrrell struggles getting back the 10 metres too and before he's turned around the opposition player is past him. Tyrrell is too slow imo. If Madge is fair dinkum he has to be dropped. The highlight of the night for me is when they said late in the game Clark is off replaced by Tyrrell. Everyone in my bay laughed and said how these two keep getting selected is beyond them. Madge is digging his grave many were saying.

Sutton: He has been great for us as we know for many years but he's getting older and you can tell. He seemed off the pace and couldn't keep up. When he was tackling at times he was slapping and clutching into thin air.

Turner: Was also slapping in defence. He must have missed 6 tackles. 2 of the Tigers tries with their play started as Turner missed 2 important tackles. Turner imo is slow and pedestrian. He also couldn't keep up with the pace. His runs didn't have any venom either. Very disappointing.

Sam: Well he was very good. He busted his arse off but he can't carry the whole pack. Sam is by far the only guy tonight in our starting pack that was keeping up with the game. Sam defended well and hit hard too I thought. I feel sorry for Sam as he had no support.

Cook: Well he got us moving. He had very good spark. He needed to come on earlier though. I hope he gets the hooker role next week as I said. Lots in my bay were furious Cook comes on when the game is over. It's a waste. Cook imo will be a representative player. He has loads of potential.

Clark: Well he's not big enough like Tyrrell. Clark got forced back and ragdolled as I predicted. Clark can bend the line either which is a problem and he's so slow.

Tom: Didn't but the ball up with energy. Was slapping trying to tackle into thin air.

Rochow: I'm disappointed. I expected more. He just played like a plodder with no leg drive in his hit ups.

Sorry to be negative R95 but I feel we are in for a long season. Unless Madge makes changes he will lose his job.

Next week I'd go with:

1. AJ
2. Burns
3. Hunt
4. Jennings
5. Goodwin
6. Cody
7. Farah
8. Musgrove
9. Cook
10. G. Burgess
11. Sutton
12. Crichton
13. S. Burgess

14. Turner
15. Crichton
16. T. Burgess
17. Cherrington

Thoughts R95????

Don't let anyone feel safe mate. Start sweeping the vroom through a bit.

Crichton is a must and George has to come back. At least George can make metres and bend the line (I know his handling is an issue but it's worth the risk)
Sorry R95. If we are fair dinkum here Kelly doesn't cut it. Do you want me to show you the Souths Facebook page???? We can start a tally of the guys that say Kelly, Clark and Tyrrell must be dropped. Plus that Talakai is a defensive liability.

I'm happy to provide you this information R95.

As for Diego R95 I feel it's best I don't talk to him as he will completely disagree with everything I say and try to wind me up.

As long as you and I know the truth R95 and understand guys need to be put in notice. Make them accountable for their actions mate.
Not a bad replacement team. I noticed near the end of the game Farah was playmaking a bit and looked alright.

Look I'm not gonna take a bunch of wally's from facebook's opinions too seriously. Half of them barely go to any games and have no idea what's going on.

I'd give Kelly a chance until Reynolds comes back (apparently Round 3), you can't just take out players after one poor performance (unless it was absolutely horrible, which Kelly's wasn't) so yeah we're just gonna have to see.

As for the forwards it's hard to disagree. Tyrrell's stats weren't too bad (75m in less than 40 minutes) but I think the rest of the pack was pretty average besides Sam. Too much arm grabbing. I'd love to see Crichton back in considering he is a reliable player and maybe it is time to put Turner back to the bench.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a shake up to really put the players on notice.

doyen

Bench
Cook went OK--but hell;so he should!!!

Why does he dart then stop-----the bloke is supposed to be a beach-sprint champion----he needs to pin his ears back & really take the line on!

Of course he sparked--he comes on after all the others have played 60 mins.in heavy wet-weather conditions & are completely buggered[fresh legs against lead-legs], & also with the Tigers tonight;they had clocked off for the evening!! Talk about COOK having things served up on a plate.
He should be on the bench permanently & Sths use him the way they have been.

He could be considered for halfback,I suppose!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not a bad replacement team. I noticed near the end of the game Farah was playmaking a bit and looked alright.

Look I'm not gonna take a bunch of wally's from facebook's opinions too seriously. Half of them barely go to any games and have no idea what's going on.

I'd give Kelly a chance until Reynolds comes back (apparently Round 3), you can't just take out players after one poor performance (unless it was absolutely horrible, which Kelly's wasn't) so yeah we're just gonna have to see.

As for the forwards it's hard to disagree. Tyrrell's stats weren't too bad (75m in less than 40 minutes) but I think the rest of the pack was pretty average besides Sam. Too much arm grabbing. I'd love to see Crichton back in considering he is a reliable player and maybe it is time to put Turner back to the bench.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a shake up to really put the players on notice.
Well the guys in my bay go year in year out. I know about 30 of them. All of us can see Farah has to go to half and Kelly has to stay at Norths.

I don't think we can afford to waste time R95.

Tyrrell can't keep up with the pace of the game in defence. He gets forced back and can't break the line. Imo he is too slow, not strong enough and should be at Norths!!! Why did Souths try and sell him in the off season???? Imo it was as he's not up to it anymore.

Too much arm grabbing is correct.

It is time to play Turner off the bench. Make him realise he has to lift.

Sam is an inspiration R95. He tries his best to lift us and he will captain us passionately while GI is out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If inglis is out, and hunt is cleared

1. Aj
2. Burns
3. Hunt (Goodwin if hunt out)
4. Talaki
5. Goodwin ( Jennings if hunt out)
6. Walker
7. Kelly
8. Musgrove
9. Farah
10. Tyrell
11. Sutton
12. Turner
13. Sam

14. Cook
15. Clark
16. Tom
17. Chricton

18. Rochow
19. Cherrington
20. George
21. Jennings
First of all Goodwin will be the first back chosen.

He was our best player tonight. If you can't see that it's just that you hate him.

He made 113 metres for 13 hit ups. He did heaps of shit work.

His last try was fabulous.

Goodwin is a good first grade player.

DiegoNT

First Grade
First of all Goodwin will be the first back chosen.

He was our best player tonight. If you can't see that it's just that you hate him.

He made 113 metres for 13 hit ups. He did heaps of shit work.

His last try was fabulous.

Goodwin is a good first grade player.
Yes that's why Goodwin is in my team you imbecile

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwin proved he can play well on the wing.

Diego you say he fell over the line for his tries. Well that's all AJ does too!!!!

The last try Bryson scored showed great skill.

Goodwin does that shit work better than AJ does it.

I feel Goodwin is a better first grade player than AJ. AJ is deteriorating imo.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Well the guys in my bay go year in year out. I know about 30 of them. All of us can see Farah has to go to half and Kelly has to stay at Norths.

I don't think we can afford to waste time R95.

Tyrrell can't keep up with the pace of the game in defence. He gets forced back and can't break the line. Imo he is too slow, not strong enough and should be at Norths!!! Why did Souths try and sell him in the off season???? Imo it was as he's not up to it anymore.

Too much arm grabbing is correct.

It is time to play Turner off the bench. Make him realise he has to lift.

Sam is an inspiration R95. He tries his best to lift us and he will captain us passionately while GI is out.
Watch the replay. Tyrrell put in a great effort in defence. Also took a few runs as well.
You want Robbie in the halves why? His kicking tonight was awful, I would want him to take a step back in that regard not make him do more.
Turner won't be dropped. He defended out of position at centre while also covering for a one legged GI. He done Admirallly under the circumstances.
If Sam is an inspiration, where was he tonight. With no Reynolds, and gi playing on with a bad injury, this was a game we really needed him to lift. He just wasn't good enough tonight

DiegoNT

First Grade
Goodwin proved he can play well on the wing.

Diego you say he fell over the line for his tries. Well that's all AJ does too!!!!

The last try Bryson scored showed great skill.

Goodwin does that shit work better than AJ does it.

I feel Goodwin is a better first grade player than AJ. AJ is deteriorating imo.
His last try was good, give him credit. And aj would of fell over the line as well for the other 2. But aj would have also scored the other 2 he was given on a platter and bombed

Rabbits20

Immortal
Watch the replay. Tyrrell put in a great effort in defence. Also took a few runs as well.
You want Robbie in the halves why? His kicking tonight was awful, I would want him to take a step back in that regard not make him do more.
Turner won't be dropped. He defended out of position at centre while also covering for a one legged GI. He done Admirallly under the circumstances.
If Sam is an inspiration, where was he tonight. With no Reynolds, and gi playing on with a bad injury, this was a game we really needed him to lift. He just wasn't good enough tonight
Tyrrell imo doesn't bend the line, gets pushed back and is off the pace. He couldn't keep up with getting back the 10metres. A starting prop needs to be able to get their legs pumping for an extra few metres. A starting prop can't get ragdolled and forced back.

Robbie had some very good kicks that found the grass. Kelly just kicked it down Tedesco's throat and did not find the grass or have depth in his kicks. I also feel Farah is more creative than Kelly.

Turner missed important tackles and was arm slapping. His runs don't have venom. I'd drop him to the bench and start Crichton.

You do realise Diego if Madge keeps picking these players he will lose his job. We have players that wouldn't make it at other clubs.

The funniest best part of the night is when they said at the game replacing Clark is Tyrrell. Most laughed at that!!!!!!!!

Sam was very good tonight. I saw it with my eyes. He was carrying the pack and did the best he could. He's in a different league to the others. Imo Sam was our second best player.

Rabbits20

Immortal
His last try was good, give him credit. And aj would of fell over the line as well for the other 2. But aj would have also scored the other 2 he was given on a platter and bombed
There was only 1 where he dropped it and it was a long pass in the pouring rain. It's quite understandable why he dropped it.

There was no other one.

English Rose

Juniors
Diego will never give Sam praise, been slagging him off for years, even though he was clearly the best forward for Souths tonight (Like he is nearly every game) His wife must fancy him or something

DiegoNT

First Grade
Diego will never give Sam praise, been slagging him off for years, even though he was clearly the best forward for Souths tonight (Like he is nearly every game) His wife must fancy him or something
Sam is frustrating! He should be the best forward in the game easily. If he played like the back end of 2016 or 2014 he is a sight to behold. He runs over people, he inspires his teammates by playing injured, he puts fear into the opposition players through defence, he puts them off their game. He runs hard and creates momentum for guy's Like Isaac Luke or Dylan Walker to wreak havoc. When he plays like that he is worth every dollar and every bit of praise.
If we kid ourselves and say that tonight's performance was great from a million dollar player then we are in trouble. If Sam looks at himself in the mirror after tonight's game and says to himself 'I was great tonight' then we are in deep shit. I'm harsh on Sam because he is so good and needs to be so good. If we are happy for a player to flop into 30 tackles, take 3 god runs and half a dozen half hearted runs then we should have Just kept Tim grant, because grant arguably did better then Sam tonight. At least then we could have kept the other 4 players we lost when we got Sam back.

Latest posts