What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Make ANZ Stadium Home For 10 Years

miccle said:
This is the start of yet another big shift for Souths. I've heard a very strong rumour that they will indeed be dropping the "South" in exchange for ANZ.

It's a two-pronged attack, part-sponsorship and part-future direction for the club. The ANZ Rabbitohs can be expanded to read the All-New-Zealand Rabbitohs!

Well done Rabbits!

the irony.

a fan of club thats been around for 5 minutes bagging a club that made RL the great sport it is today in australia.

souths were winning competitions before that germ john ribot was born.

and to effectively kill off the entire BRL competition as a force for a single team, im not impressed with the broncos crowds.

brisbane should have 2 nrl teams. last time we tried that though they had a sook and set uo a rival competition

Danish

Referee
MattJ said:
I think he means when we are the away team for the week at telstra, will we be allowed to use our home locker room rather than just the regular away teams change room, which is a good question actually. As the home side for a fixture at telstra, i wouldnt be happy with the away side getting prefferential treatment or nice familiar, cosy surroundings. Im guessing the team can only use it for home fixtures.

Thats exactly what I meant, thanks.

I would assume that Souths would have to play out of the regular away locker rooms as well when its the dogs or Tigers "home" game.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bunnies try and use their special home dressing room for a dogs home game though. Would make for some hilarious Telecrap "journalism" in the week leading up to the game.

Red Bear

Referee
Slackboy72 said:
I guess the one thing about Homebush is that it is easier to get from the front steps of central station to ANZ stadium than it is to get to SFS.

I still however think this is a bad move. I doubt souths will average more than 15-16,000 and in such a big stadium that is going to be quite craptacular.
lol its a 10-15 minute walk, nothing strenuous
people are soft

BBKing777

Juniors
manonthehill, you are a true wanker mate
how smart are you Tigpies, yous let at least $150,000.00 slip through your fingers to get smashed at home LOL :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol:

joshreading

Staff member
You can smell the jealousy on here. I for one was one that 'voted' as such for souths to get the boot - something I actually think in the long run will be viewed as a long term turning point for souths but I am now WAY impressed by the continued growth and vision of Souths.

Why honestly is fifty thousand impossible? It is not - a big aim but possible, and you watch other sydney crowds follow - the day should come where no team pulls less than 20 - 25 thousand average.

Seriously where are the NO voters at souths now? Honestly traditional heartland? Is it the ground or the people that matter the most - it is clear that most souths fans live outside of that 'heartland'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds like they got some good parts of the deal but as we don't know the detail it is hard to judge just how good a deal it is. ie Are they being paid a set annual fee whilst the stadium takes admission and bar fees? If so $1mill a year is small change if they do start to average decent crowds. 10 years is a heck of a long time to be locked into such a deal.

It gives them security but you have to wonder where the "South Sydney" bit fits now and as mentioned the atmosphere at ANZ with less than 30,000 in it sucks.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I am certainly jealous that my club didn't get such a good deal. i think we are locked in until 2020.

Wow i'd be stoked if my team had locked into a 10 yr deal to play home gmes 20km from it's area ... the kiwi actor the sprog of a crook will soon be lobbying the govt for a 160,000 seat stadium. They'll have brad walter talk up sh*t like buddy gordon and beau champion as if they are the rugby league equivalents of pele and george best

hdel0069

Juniors
themanonthehill
Wests Magpies-Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers have played 'home' games at campbletown, leichhardt, telstra stadium, christchurch and gosford in recent years and will be playing 2 games at the scg this year. Not just that but your clubs base is at concord, yet you still find reason or desire to bag souths about signing a ten year deal to stay at ONE home ground. You seem to be misguided or perhaps its just envy that there will be no wests tigers only dressing room at ANZ. While Souths will service some of the best training facilities at the new redfern and play at of the best stadium in sydney, you will still be standing ankle deep in urine of the leichhardt oval 'toilets'

innsaneink

Referee
6 games over the last five seasons (3 christchurch '04, '05, '06, ) (1 Gosford '07) (2 SCG '08) away from our district.
Souths have that covered in one season. By 2017 it will be up to approx 275 games in another clubs district - well in.

miccle

Bench
Ziggy the God said:
I guess shooting for a high crowd watermark is beyond the scope of of the simpletons.

Go follow another sport if you don't want League to prosper.

The worst part about the "high watermark" for mine is the fact that, even with 50,000 people there, there'd still be 30,000-odd empty seats.

I love to seem the game and all NRL clubs flourishing and getting higher crowds, but let's face it - Souths will be doing well to get the stadium half-full on more than two occasions this season as it stands.

Galeforce

Bench
Originally Posted by miccle
This is the start of yet another big shift for Souths. I've heard a very strong rumour that they will indeed be dropping the "South" in exchange for ANZ.

It's a two-pronged attack, part-sponsorship and part-future direction for the club. The ANZ Rabbitohs can be expanded to read the All-New-Zealand Rabbitohs!

Well done Rabbits!

STSAE said:
Heehee, Gold.

:lol: :lol:

Perhaps , "rabbitohs ", may happen one day , with Souths being dropped altogether. No way ANZ would be added.

however not sure what the sydney city rooster fans a re gleeing about. they gave their heritage years back when the dropped Eastern suburbs roosters to be come sydney city (ford) roosters.

hdel0069

Juniors
Im glad Souths didnt have to merge to cover more then 1 district. Considering most our supporters dont live in the South Sydney area it makes sense to play our games at a more central venue for our supporters. Our training base, leagues club and junior league is still in our 'district'.
Souths actually strive to be the best club in Sydney and Australia not just the South Sydney area. Be happy with being the toast of Minto.

innsaneink

Referee
hdel0069 said:
Im glad Souths didnt have to merge to cover more then 1 district. Considering most our supporters dont live in the South Sydney area it makes sense to play our games at a more central venue for our supporters. Our training base, leagues club and junior league is still in our 'district'.
Souths actually strive to be the best club in Sydney and Australia not just the South Sydney area. Be happy with being the toast of Minto.

Yet you just said....
hdel0069 said:
Wests Magpies-Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers have played 'home' games at campbletown, leichhardt, telstra stadium, christchurch and gosford in recent years and will be playing 2 games at the scg this year.

Make up your mind.

Brycey

Juniors
Not saying its good or bad, but Souths are moving further and further away from the 'working mans' team. Its not really their title now.

hdel0069 said:

That's cos most of your supporters are housing commission bogan peasants who move wherever there is a place for them. NFA best describes the typical soufs fan. Scum. Soufs in the modern era are as successful as the Mariners, Chargers, Crushers, Rams and Reds

Brycey said:
Not saying its good or bad, but Souths are moving further and further away from the 'working mans' team. Its not really their title now.

Ironic really

Guess `the welfare receiving scum's team' was a bit hard for the press to write