What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

alien

Referee
saw this on facebook:

12715456_10153393831563848_5051835770711876839_n.jpg

alien

Referee
Mackay teen bound for South Sydney Rabbitohs

21st August 2015 5:00 AM
UPDATED 6:38 AM

MDM_21-08-2015_SPORT_07_MKY200815bunny1_fct1024x768_ct1024x768.jpg

AMAZING OPPORTUNITY: Souths Sharks under-18 player and Mackay State High School student Sam Johnstone has signed a contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

RUGBY LEAGUE: Signing with National Rugby League team, the South Sydney Rabbitohs is a dream come true for Mackay's Sam Johnstone.

"It's a pretty surreal feeling, it's been something I've wanted to do for a long time, pursue a career in the NRL," he said.

"I've been playing since under-8s and always working towards the dream, finally it's starting to happen now."

Johnstone officially signed with the Bunnies last Friday and will move to Sydney by himself in November.

The 17-year-old said there were a few other clubs interested in signing him but he had a good reason to go with South Sydney.

"I've barracked for them since I was about 10-years-old, so the love for the club has been pretty strong," Johnston said.

"Their facilities are amazing, the coaches and support staff around are fantastic too, and they're a successful club."

The Mackay State School student is a man mountain and plays in the front row.

He will play this weekend for the Souths Sharks under-18 team in the qualifying final in the Mackay Rugby League.

Johnstone's coach at Mackay State High School, Craig Monaghan said if anyone could succeed at the top level it would be Johnstone.

"For a kid his age, he's got in gallons, the talent," he said.

"He's a good leader, he's the vice captain at the school, so he's got a lot going for him as well." "He is the kind of kid that will train and do the things that he needs to do to make it."

Johnstone said next year his goal was to make the under-18 Maroons team and play five under-20 games.

"NRL is definitely a goal, it's a long way away, I realise I have to do a lot of work to go there," he said.

"Realistically, it's probably four years away to try and break into the side. The sooner the crack the better, but I'm willing to wait my turn."

http://m.dailymercury.com.au/news/bound-for-the-bunnies/2747740/

South Sydney Rabbitohs recruit Dane Nielsen preparing for NRL redemption

Date February 15, 2016 - 2:18PM
  • Axed by St George Illawarra and playing in front of a couple of thousand people in a semi-professional, second-tier competition in England, you could forgive Dane Nielsen for thinking his NRL career had come to an end.
    After being thrown a late pre-season lifeline by South Sydney, the former Queensland centre is now preparing for another shot in the top grade. The 30-year-old made his return to the NRL in the second half of the Rabbitohs' 18-14 Charity Shield win against his former club on Saturday.
    Nielsen was sacked by the Dragons, two games into a two-year deal, last March after a woman claimed he bit her on the leg during a drinking session at a Cronulla nightspot. His axing led to him finishing 2015 playing for the Bradford Bulls in the level below the English Super League before returning to Australia uncertain if he would again play in the NRL.
Defensive mode: Souths centre Dane Nielsen tackles Dragons opponent Taane Milne during the Charity Shield match at ANZ Stadium. Photo: Mark Kolbe
"[Getting sacked] was a difficult time," Nielsen said in his first interview since returning to Australia. "I'm not really worried about it any more. I am lucky enough to have been given an opportunity [at South Sydney]. I'm not even worried about that any more. It doesn't faze me. I've been given an opportunity now, I'm going to make the most of it. [Playing in England] was OK. It was a different style of footy. It was division one and the facilities and grounds were a lot different to what I'm used [to]. It was OK but I'm glad to be back here having an opportunity to play at Souths."
Advertisement
He has added some much-needed depth to a depleted Rabbitohs back line. While Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston and Bryson Goodwin pick themselves, Nielsen will battle it out with the likes of fellow new recruit Hymel Hunt, Kirisome Auva'a, Aaron Gray and John Olive for wing and centre spots. Hunt impressed during the Charity Shield.
Having only signed for the club late last month, Nielsen is realistic about his chances of starting the season in the top grade.
"I was training on my own in Queensland until we could sort something out," Nielsen said. "It took a while to get something sorted in terms of the salary cap. I got down on the next plane I could and started training.
"Most of the boys had been back since November and are looking fit and strong and have kilometres in their legs. I'm still playing catch-up. Every session I'm still trying to get the most out of. I'm still not at peak fitness. Taking small steps towards that.
"I'm just here training hard and seeing where that takes me. The boys have been training a lot longer than I have. This is my third week. I'm a bit behind so far. I knew that coming down here. I'll try and come through [feeder club] North Sydney and see where that takes me."
Nielsen's long association with Inglis and Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire helped bring him to the Rabbitohs. Nielsen played alongside Inglis at Melbourne, where Maguire was an assistant coach.
"[Maguire] spoke to me just after New Years and we had a bit of a chat and he gave me an opportunity to try and do my best," Nielsen said.
[/COLOR]​

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...aring-for-nrl-redemption-20160215-gmu84t.html

Matrix

Juniors

• Axed by St George Illawarra and playing in front of a couple of thousand people in a semi-professional, second-tier competition in England, you could forgive Dane Nielsen for thinking his NRL career had come to an end.
    After being thrown a late pre-season lifeline by South Sydney, the former Queensland centre is now preparing for another shot in the top grade. The 30-year-old made his return to the NRL in the second half of the Rabbitohs' 18-14 Charity Shield win against his former club on Saturday.
    Nielsen was sacked by the Dragons, two games into a two-year deal, last March after a woman claimed he bit her on the leg during a drinking session at a Cronulla nightspot. His axing led to him finishing 2015 playing for the Bradford Bulls in the level below the English Super League before returning to Australia uncertain if he would again play in the NRL.
Defensive mode: Souths centre Dane Nielsen tackles Dragons opponent Taane Milne during the Charity Shield match at ANZ Stadium. Photo: Mark Kolbe
"[Getting sacked] was a difficult time," Nielsen said in his first interview since returning to Australia. "I'm not really worried about it any more. I am lucky enough to have been given an opportunity [at South Sydney]. I'm not even worried about that any more. It doesn't faze me. I've been given an opportunity now, I'm going to make the most of it. [Playing in England] was OK. It was a different style of footy. It was division one and the facilities and grounds were a lot different to what I'm used [to]. It was OK but I'm glad to be back here having an opportunity to play at Souths."
Advertisement
He has added some much-needed depth to a depleted Rabbitohs back line. While Greg Inglis, Alex Johnston and Bryson Goodwin pick themselves, Nielsen will battle it out with the likes of fellow new recruit Hymel Hunt, Kirisome Auva'a, Aaron Gray and John Olive for wing and centre spots. Hunt impressed during the Charity Shield.
Having only signed for the club late last month, Nielsen is realistic about his chances of starting the season in the top grade.
"I was training on my own in Queensland until we could sort something out," Nielsen said. "It took a while to get something sorted in terms of the salary cap. I got down on the next plane I could and started training.
"Most of the boys had been back since November and are looking fit and strong and have kilometres in their legs. I'm still playing catch-up. Every session I'm still trying to get the most out of. I'm still not at peak fitness. Taking small steps towards that.
"I'm just here training hard and seeing where that takes me. The boys have been training a lot longer than I have. This is my third week. I'm a bit behind so far. I knew that coming down here. I'll try and come through [feeder club] North Sydney and see where that takes me."
Nielsen's long association with Inglis and Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire helped bring him to the Rabbitohs. Nielsen played alongside Inglis at Melbourne, where Maguire was an assistant coach.
"[Maguire] spoke to me just after New Years and we had a bit of a chat and he gave me an opportunity to try and do my best," Nielsen said.
[/COLOR]​

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...aring-for-nrl-redemption-20160215-gmu84t.html

Hes saying all the right things,lets hope he puts his head down at norths and puts pressure on others for a 1st grade spot.

Rabbits20

Immortal
i think cook would be better than sutto in the halves but yeah madge would probably want to keep cook at dummy half sharing that role with mcinnes which is fair enough

Correct if that comes about in the season.

So he would go Sutto.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
give him a run in the trial against the titans! :)

How long is he signed with us for????

Alien I think he wil play first half of the season in U20's. Second half of the season with Norths.

Expect him to play a few first grade games in 2017.

If he's with us in 2018 he will be a first grader imo.

He has a bright future.

He won't play against the Titans.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal

Advertisement
[/COLOR]​

It says GI, AJ, Goodwin pick themselves.

This guy knows Goodwin will be there:cool:

Auva'a will be there too.

I'd have Oldfield on the wing.

Hunt/A. Gray will put pressure on.

Rsag85

Bench
It says GI, AJ, Goodwin pick themselves.

This guy knows Goodwin will be there:cool:

Auva'a will be there too.

I'd have Oldfield on the wing.

Hunt/A. Gray will put pressure on.

I think only three are locked in the backline AJ, GI and Auva'a.

Madge will make the call after this next trial with who gets the other centre and wing spot.

Rsag85

Bench
I know you don't like it but Bryson will be there.

You will see.

Still don't think he is locked in 100%, Madge was very happy how Hunt has been training and his performances in the 9s and the game on the weekend. Thats why he got longer minutes then Goodwin and the others.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Still don't think he is locked in 100%, Madge was very happy how Hunt has been training and his performances in the 9s and the game on the weekend. Thats why he got longer minutes then Goodwin and the others.

Madge didn't want Bryson to possibly get injured;-) that's why he played 40mins.

Auva'a was going to play all of the second half so 40mins too but came off with a niggle.

Madge didn't want to risk either as he knows they'll be our centres.

Auva'a right centre
Goodwin left centre.

Rsag85

Bench
Madge didn't want Bryson to possibly get injured;-) that's why he played 40mins.

Auva'a was going to play all of the second half so 40mins too but came off with a niggle.

Madge didn't want to risk either as he knows they'll be our centres.

Auva'a right centre
Goodwin left centre.

Not to sure about that yet but hey we will find out after the next trial who put there hand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.