What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs vs Rabbitos

Eion

First Grade
Not trolling, just have a burning desire to tackle the big issues.

I have these 1968/69 The Rugby League News magazines and they reference the "Rabbitos" not the "Rabbitohs". I'm curious....when and why did it change to the "Rabbitohs"....anyone know?

Randwick Rabbit

Juniors
Started collecting Scanlens footy cards in the mid 70's, still have most of them. It is spelt Rabbitos on these cards as well.

ThingFish

Juniors
Can’t give a definitive date, but going by my footy card collection the last time they used Rabbitos was 1978, they then used Souths, then the first appearance of Rabbitohs was 1988. So I can only nail down the spelling change to between 1979 and 1987.

doyen

Bench

I have these 1968/69 The Rugby League News magazines and they reference the "Rabbitos" not the "Rabbitohs". I'm curious....when and why did it change to the "Rabbitohs"....anyone know?

Has always been RABBITOHS---probably a misprint!

ThingFish

Juniors

Here’s a footy card from as early as 1968 with Rabbitos, and a promo sticker from the 70s. Haven’t been able to find any thing after 78 with Rabbitos, so I reckon the spelling changed early 80s.
EEFA5315-978B-426C-9080-6C30452FBEDF.jpeg 1C8E62D5-8B0F-45B4-8940-56AE76D1BAEA.jpeg

ThingFish

Juniors
Interesting. My material only starts as early as 1968 as well. Bring back the “Rabbitos” I say!
Nah, it’s Rabbitoh all the way :smiley:But to answer the question, why the spelling changed?, that probably needs our club historian Mark Courtney to get an answer.

It’s probably as simple as, with a change in footy card suppliers the new card company added a H, the press went with it. Back then marketing and brand awareness didn’t exist so the club probably just went with it.

doyen

Bench
Nah, it’s Rabbitoh all the way :smiley:But to answer the question, why the spelling changed?, that probably needs our club historian Mark Courtney to get an answer.

It’s probably as simple as, with a change in footy card suppliers the new card company added a H, the press went with it. Back then marketing and brand awareness didn’t exist so the club probably just went with it.

Many Souths people,& I was born & bred one,are well known for dropping their "aitches."

doyen

Bench
I was about to post in here and say ask Doyen lol!

As long as they are pronounced the same I don't care how it's spelt-----growing up in the 40s & 50s it was really just a word you heard--a word that this PERSON yelled out in the street; "Rabbbbiiiittooooeehhhhhh"-----to draw attention to the wares he was trying to sell;ie dead,skinned & gutted rabbits sitting on ice in the back of his horse-drawn buggy!! This is how I remember it as a skinny,little kid growing up in Botany!
Our family of 6 kids ate a fair bit of rabbit & loved it!! As I grew older I realised I was committing a sin--won't touch it now;hate it,makes me ILL!!!!

ThingFish

Juniors
As long as they are pronounced the same I don't care how it's spelt-----growing up in the 40s & 50s it was really just a word you heard--a word that this PERSON yelled out in the street; "Rabbbbiiiittooooeehhhhhh"-----to draw attention to the wares he was trying to sell;ie dead,skinned & gutted rabbits sitting on ice in the back of his horse-drawn buggy!! This is how I remember it as a skinny,little kid growing up in Botany!
Our family of 6 kids ate a fair bit of rabbit & loved it!! As I grew older I realised I was committing a sin--won't touch it now;hate it,makes me ILL!!!!
Know how you feel, never knock back a good chicken dinner though :smiley: especially Red Rooster :joy:

Eion

First Grade

Thanks mate. I’ve enjoyed the trip into the past on here. Now let’s hope the sharks and rabbitos/rabbitohs aren’t fighting it out for the spoon this year! I’d much prefer Brisbane got it....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

This is the exact same story I was told by my Grandpa. I find it funny that we use a rabbit as our mascot but the Rabbitoh was a rabbit on a stick?

Latest posts