What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Vs Warriors

You'd have to be a tough marker to drop Goodwin based on Roberts giving him a bath. Roberts will give just about every centre in the comp a bath by the time he's through.

He's the kind of freakish talent that you can do everything in your power to minimise his involvement and then you still have to just hope that he manages to botch the opportunities that he will get, anyway.

You also have to remember that Gray and Goodwin are a new combination. They will improve as they gain trust in each other.

alien

Referee
with reyno out, luke is the goal kicker, but if he gets injured during the game, goodwin would be the goal kicker. if goodwin wasn't selected, who would be doing the goal kicking in that situation???

gray can also play centre, so another option would be gray play centre and goodwin on the wing

rabbitohs95

Bench
Change glasses please.
Goodwin was clearly outpaced twice by Roberts. That is not a mistake on Goodwin just means he is slower than Roberts. The question i do not know , is Gray faster than Goodwin ? Is Gray faster than Orange or Simone? Anyone know?

Next point , Goodwin actually tackled Roberts in the first instance. If Gray stayed on his man , then they would not have scored.

Now in the second instance , Goodwin was totally beat , Gray was in a no win situation. My point was in this instance if he managed to stop Roberts and not allow a pass to the unmarked winger he would be in the GREAT winger ranks. In both cases he was left tackling noone , average winger at best in these scenarios.

Given GRay is early in his career , he has NO mortgage on the wing spot. It is not like Origin loyalty to a player to get his position. If we have a faster young winger who Madge believes is ready , well they should get their chance now and GRay improve his craft with Norths.

The missed try and the lost ball all add up to Norths for mine , if we have a good young one to give a chance to impress. When Auva'a comes back , Goodwin should back to Norths and then one wing will be either Gray , Orange, Simone , Manualala or Goodwin.

All Goodwin did to try stop Roberts was a piss weak tackle at the death, he would have dived over anyway. Gray had no choice but to help him stop Roberts from crashing over.

I don't think one week of an average performance should warrant being dropped to Norths. Besides 'Orange' which is actually John OLIVE still needs a few more weeks, Simone clearly isn't ready for first grade yet and Manuleleua is injured.

Galeforce

Bench
All Goodwin did to try stop Roberts was a piss weak tackle at the death, he would have dived over anyway. Gray had no choice but to help him stop Roberts from crashing over.

I don't think one week of an average performance should warrant being dropped to Norths. Besides 'Orange' which is actually John OLIVE still needs a few more weeks, Simone clearly isn't ready for first grade yet and Manuleleua is injured.

You should not comment , with authority , unless you do your homework. Go see the video , in Souths highlights and then you can apologise if you wish , i do not care.

you will see
1) Goodwin got Roberts
2) Gray touched NO one

you were wrong in both statements.

southsport

First Grade
In the first try I think it would have been better if Gray had stayed with his winger, he did for the second try and Roberts scored..........I don't blame Gray or Goodwin, they were up against someone with exceptional natural talent.

hurricane57

Juniors
You'd have to be a tough marker to drop Goodwin based on Roberts giving him a bath. Roberts will give just about every centre in the comp a bath by the time he's through.

He's the kind of freakish talent that you can do everything in your power to minimise his involvement and then you still have to just hope that he manages to botch the opportunities that he will get, anyway.

You also have to remember that Gray and Goodwin are a new combination. They will improve as they gain trust in each other.

All the points you raise are very valid, I'd just love to give youth and speed a go, and I'd rather keep Gray for a couple more games and only drop him if he really stuffs up irredeemably.

I'm lost as to who Orange is so I'll just compare him to other oranges and promote Olive to replace Goodwin. :lol::lol:

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Team to face the Warriors
1 Greg Inglis (c)
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dylan Walker
4 Bryson Goodwin
5 Aaron Gray
6 John Sutton
7 Luke Keary
8 Thomas Burgess
9 Issac Luke
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Nathan Brown
12 Chris McQueen
13 Jason Clark

Interchange
14 Cameron McInnes
15 Chris Grevsmuhl
16 Tim Grant
17 George Burgess
18 Ben Lowe
19 John Olive

alien

Referee
Team to face the Warriors
1 Greg Inglis (c)
2 Alex Johnston
3 Dylan Walker
4 Bryson Goodwin
5 Aaron Gray
6 John Sutton
7 Luke Keary
8 Thomas Burgess
9 Issac Luke
10 Dave Tyrrell
11 Nathan Brown
12 Chris McQueen
13 Jason Clark

Interchange
14 Cameron McInnes
15 Chris Grevsmuhl
16 Tim Grant
17 George Burgess
18 Ben Lowe
19 John Olive

Cool. That's basically the team I wanted to see, except Clark is starting, instead of Grevsmuhl. Another reason why Madge might be keeping Keary at halfback, whilst Reyno is out, is for Keary to have more experience as first receiver and dominate playmaker. It might make him a better player in the long run. I think Reynolds will be back for the game after the bye (vs Manly).

Last edited:

hurricane57

Juniors
Cool. That's basically the team I wanted to see, except Clark is starting, instead of Grevsmuhl. Another reason why Madge might be keeping Keary at halfback, whilst Reyno is out, is for Keary to have more experience as first receiver and dominate playmaker. It might make him a better player in the long run. I think Reynolds will be back for the game after the bye (vs Manly).

So, what your saying is, you think Madge thinks Keary will get better at his position by playing another position?
Kinda complicates a very simple game.
Nar Madge is a 'keep it simple' kinda guy IMO.

alien

Referee
So, what your saying is, you think Madge thinks Keary will get better at his position by playing another position?

maybe. say on the 5th tackle reynolds runs it or gets tackled. the ball would then probably go to keary in the next play, who would normally put in a kick, or sometimes pass it out. playing halfback whilst reynolds is out will put keary in that situation of first receiver more often and may improve his decision making in those situations, especially when attacking the try line. it could also be handy if reynolds gets injured during a game. i don't think keary's kicking game or decision making on the last tackle has been close to as good as reynolds', but he could improve.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Must be a question mark on Gray .......he failed 4 chances in the game. Did not dive low to score , failed to read Roberts play twice ( top winger would have nailed both , a very good one might have stopped one) , loose possession from tap kick when possession was key.
If Orange is faster then GRay , would give him a chance and allow GRay to work on his game at Norths. I also would not be adverse to seeing Simone be given his chance over Gray.

I think you're being harsh.

Gray is developing, he made a few errors but he'll learn from it.

He's had 3 good games and 1 bad.

Goodwin was worse than Gray I thought!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Nah no way Gray is much more ready for first grade compared to the young guys. His 'mistakes' during the game are harsh. Two of the reads on Roberts were mainly Goodwin's fault, the Titan's defence was great when he almost scored and the strip on him should've been a knock on against them, you can clearly see Sezer strip the ball and it going forward off him.

I agree with you mate.

Gray is the most ready of our young guys compared to Olive, Manuleleau, Simone, Goolagong etc......

The other guys need more time. Olive will get a couple of games soon though to show what he's got when GI goes into origin camp.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Aren't you the fella that was screamin Tim Grant's virtues at me after his one good game?

Don't make me go back and look, you know I will.:?:?:?

Madge has been saying how happy he is with Grant and how he's playing well now and adding a lot off the bench.

Grant just has to cut out the stupid penalties and make sure he is consistent.

Rabbits20

Immortal
with reyno out, luke is the goal kicker, but if he gets injured during the game, goodwin would be the goal kicker. if goodwin wasn't selected, who would be doing the goal kicking in that situation???

gray can also play centre, so another option would be gray play centre and goodwin on the wing

To answer your goal kicking question it would be Dylan Walker. In a game a couple of years ago he kicked a couple of goals for us but I can't remember who we were playing.

Goodwin is ordinary on the wing as he is bad at catching bombs and he comes off his wing a lot like Reddy.

When Gray has to shut down a play and comes off his wing to make a one on one important tackle he has to stand at marker and therefore Goodwin needs to push out to the wing and Sutto to centre. But Goodwin doesn't mark the opposition winger, he stands too close to Sutto.
I noticed this happened in the Titans match and the Eels match the week before when the Eels scored to get to 8-4 after 30mins.

Others I speak too about this have said Goodwin needs to push out further and back up Gray's good work. Gray needs the support of the team when he makes a big defensive read he shouldn't be let down with a soft try being scored down his wing on the next play.