What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radradra wants to play for Australia

hutch

First Grade
It's a buzz rothfield article so I'm trying not to read too much into it as he is a well known tool, but some worrying quotes in it if true.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...or-a-better-life/story-fni3ga7r-1226944881900

While admitting he’s still learning, Radradra has set himself some lofty goals, including playing for Australia’s Kangaroos.

Because Fiji is a second-tier rugby league nation he can play for both his home country and still wear the green and gold.

“If Australia wanted me to play, I would play for Australia,” he said.

“I’d also like to play Origin one day if the rules changed just like Jarryd.

Rodney

Juniors
I don't think he's been here long enough.
He came over 2 years ago, he'd need to wait another year to qualify under residency.

tmfsd

Juniors
No no no no no no no! Born and raised in Fiji, been in Aus 5 minutes. Case closed.

Agree that Rothfield is a tool

hutch

First Grade
This is what happens when you don't give nations such as Fiji a regular test schedule. The sad reality is that they don't know when their next game is.

Bovrick

Juniors
Unfortunately the rules allow him to do exactly that.

Well they have to allow players to be Kangaroos without playing for Origin, because NSW and QLD are not the entirety of Australia. If Origin allowed all players from Australia to compete, you might have a point.

This just points to a clear problem yet again. That we have dominant teams already means our International game isn't interesting enough, but we have virtually everything incentivising a consolidation of this dominance: access to representative games is reduced by a lack of games, and by professional clubs refusing to comply; players unions are strong and heavily biased towards actions that benefit big nations, the money is massively stacked in favour of stronger nations - through Origin, extra games, the comparative wealth or organising bodies etc.

This sort of thing is obviously going to be the end result, and the quality of product with internationals will remain as piss-weak. If we want the exposure and ultimately money that comes from an interesting international game, we need to start making the incentives run in the opposite direction. Obviously.

deluded pom?

Coach
My point is that Radradra isn't even Australian, which should bar him from playing Origin, yet can still play for Australia!

hutch

First Grade
My point is that Radradra isn't even Australian, which should bar him from playing Origin, yet can still play for Australia!

It's the three year residency rule, which is used by most sports. It is ridiculous in his case, he signed a contract to move to Australia, he came here for work. He has already played for Fiji, it shouldn't even be an option.

deluded pom?

Coach
It's the three year residency rule, which is used by most sports. It is ridiculous in his case, he signed a contract to move to Australia, he came here for work. He has already played for Fiji, it shouldn't even be an option.

Totally agree hutch but it wouldn't surprise me if the rules were ignored IF Sheens wants Radradra in green and gold at the 4N.

roughyedspud

Coach
ive been banging on about this shit on this board for 7 god damn years....

and the journos seem to think they write the god damn laws.....one writes it maybe players should be able to switch between 1st & 2nd tier nations at will.....and 6months later another writes it as actual FACT....

show me the actual RLIF LAW that states this to be true!