What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raider Milne ready to test a natural gift today

From today's CT:

Raider Milne ready to test a natural gift today
By Andrew Benson
Saturday, 27 November 2004

If Canberra Raiders' winger David Milne can move as fast today as his career has during the past three years, he will be a certainty to win the Sportsman's Race at the Queanbeyan Gift Carnival.

A former junior champion sprinter and long-jumper, Milne gave away athletics at the age of 15 to take up rugby league in his home town of Griffith.

The 18-year-old played just three years of rugby league before being snapped up by Canberra to play in their under-18s.

But after just one game in his first season, the 18-year-old was promoted to the Raiders' Premier League team.

Another 23 games later, he was the most capped Premier League player for the club, played for both NSW under-19s and the Young Kangaroos, and was rewarded with a contract until 2008.

Today he will try out his speed on the track for the first time in two years. NSW long-jump champion and bronze medallist in the 100m as a 15-year-old, Milne isn't sure whether he can reach the heights which saw him do an 11sec 100m.

"I am hoping so. I just want to see how I go," Milne said. "I was always quick. Both of my parents were fast, my whole family were fast."

The Raiders have big plans for the talented teenager and in signing him for as long as Todd Carney and Lincoln Withers, they have signalled their intentions for him to become a future star of the team.

It is Milne's blistering pace that has been his main weapon and Raiders' coach, Matt Elliott, is a big fan of the young winger. "There is only a struck match between Milne and Phil Graham," Elliott said. "He has great strength and speed. He is our hidden jewel."

Milne won't get to test himself against Graham today but the Raiders first-grade regular speedster will be at the Gift to lend a hand with the presentations.

The Sportsman's Race is on at 4.10pm.

Queanbeyan local Terry Campese and Graham will be presenting awards to race winners and Alan Tongue and Michael Hodgson will be helping conduct an ARL clinic between 10-11am.

=======

Wow, I didn't know he'd been contracted until 2008. Obviously this kid has a bigger future than I thought, to be honest I haven't noticed him too much in the games that I've seen him play, but he must be quick if he can match it with Phil.

Kris_man

Bench
actually, Milne did do enough to make me notice him in the few PL games that i watched in 2004. i didn't know he could match it with Phil, though, damn! he must be fast. Phil's got the mad swerve though, hopefully Milne's got that too. what really strikes me about him is his age - if he was to play in the under-18s in '04 (which i think is SG Ball?), then he must be...18! i love this quote from Elliott above: "He is our hidden jewel". :clap:

greeneyed

First Grade
It was funny, the CT reported the result of every single race except the "Sportsman's Race".....

skeepe

Immortal
Great to hear Milne has been signed up for such a long time. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of his, and I can see him becoming the crowning jewel in our backline for many years to come.

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I had no idea how fast Milne was. Living in New Zealand I don't get to see or hear about the youngsters coming through. I am really looking foward to seeing this guy play, Graham and Milne on the wings, wicked fast.

Anyway back to watching the clock for season 2005.

lukethejedi

Juniors
Living in Melbourne naturally i cant watch the Premier League team, obviously hes fast but whats hes size like, is he some beanpole shortie like Robbo or what

Kris_man

Bench
didn't look very small to me #-o , just a standard winger build. and roboo isn't overly short, i don't know what your going on about luke.

lukethejedi

Juniors
im not sayin robbo is overly short, but hes still not that big only 180 which is pretty small compared to most for example gafa and phil is 185 and mogg is 189 monaghan is 188 and schif is 186.

woodgers

Bench
Robbo is pretty small to stand next to. Having said that there are a lot of players that are referred to as 'big men' by commentators but when you stand next to them they aren't really that big.

Latest posts