What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raider PL side announced

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT reports that Todd Carney is fit to take his place in the PL side to play St George tomorrow afternoon.

A final physiotherapy session yesterday morning and a successful running session in the afternoon cleared Carney of any serious damage and confirmed he will start in the 7 jersey.

Yesterday's running session was his first since suffering an ankle injury last weekend.

"The physio work has been to really loosen all the muscles around the ankle, balancing on a trampoline and stuff like that" Carney said. "It's all been good and I'll be right for the weekend. I was a bit over everyone asking if I'd be OK to play. On Monday it felt good. It still hurt a bit on Sunday night travelling back [from Leichhardt] and I was a bit worried thinking ahead to this weekend but, at the stage it is now, it's sweet. I'll just tape it as I normally would, maybe with a little bit more attention to hold it together, but there should be no dramas."

X rays on Monday revealed no serious ligament damage or broken bone.

Meanwhile, PL player Jamie Russo will travel to France as soon as the Raiders' season comes to an end to play with French first division side Villa France over the northern hemisphere winter. Russo will play in the "city of love", just like Nathan Smith did last year, with the option of returning to the Raiders next season. Russo, 23, is a former Australian Schoolboy, and only joined the Raiders in June this year after a fall out with his former club Souths. This year he has received week to week match payments and accomodation and employment supplied by the club.

"He has been offered basically the same deal for next season at this stage as well" Raiders general manager Don Furner Jnr said. "If he comes back playing some great footy again and can crack it in first grade, then we'd discuss a possible contract agreement with him."

"I want to hang around" Russo said. "I've enjoyed my time here and want to stay on."

GreenGuy

Good stuff on Carney there.

As for the Koups boys, its sad to see superstars in the making leave the Raiders. And to make things worse, they are Greek! #-o God only knows the more players eminating from the mediteranean the better! So many great names over the years: Benny Elias, Johnny Elias, ummm Anthony Minichello...you get my point... :)

Tidus_Raider

Bench
GreenGuy said:

As for the Koups boys, its sad to see superstars in the making leave the Raiders. And to make things worse, they are Greek! #-o God only knows the more players eminating from the mediteranean the better! So many great names over the years: Benny Elias, Johnny Elias, ummm Anthony Minichello...you get my point... :)

Hazem El Masri, Hasan Saleh, Ahmed Bajouri ;-)

GreenGuy

Tidus_Raider said:
GreenGuy said:

Hazem El Masri, Hasan Saleh, Ahmed Bajouri ;-)

Touche Tidus, Touche! :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV News tonight, it was confirmed by coach Wayne Collins that Todd Carney will be fit to play on the weekend. He was able to participate in a full session last night and will participate in another tonight (Friday). The six man bench will be reduced to four by tomorrow, but Ben Cross will definitely be in the team.

Coach Collins said that St George are very strong with players like Firman and Youngquest, with the latter in St George firsts for the last 5-6 weeks.

Phil Small said that a win tomorrow will be a boost for the club, suffering after a disappointing season for the NRL side.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think it's fair to say the winner of this game will most likely take out the comp.

sidenote- When was the last time a PL side went back to back?

thickos

First Grade
I know the Raiders have never gone back to back in PL - last season was our first title.

St George Illawarra and Canterbury have had very good sides for a number of years now - the Dogs were 2002 champions, I wouldn't be surprised if they won it in 2001 as well. But I am not sure.

Raider_69

Post Whore
to be honest, losing Soward and M.Monaghan last year will and has bitten us on the arse more than the lose of Koups
i would have loved to keep Koups but as said by thickos, he isnt in a real vital possy, infact he is in one where we have an abundence of talent, good luck to him at the tiges, he deserves a firsts spot and he wouldnt get it here unfortunatly

Edwahu

Bench
I am kind of over losing Soward. The fact is Carney is the same age and is well ahead of him and was the best player in the same side as Soward last season. Sure Soward may turn out to be a champion but he still has to make the leap to starring in reggies, let alone first grade. I am happy to take Ale (who starred again in the semi) as a swap.

Its easy to look at the Roosters flegg side and get blown away but every club puts a different emphasis on flegg. If we put our best possible flegg side on the park instead of putting the best players in reggies then we would probably carve it as well and Carney would be destroying the comp. Actually, I think this could happen next year, looking at the potential side we might have.

Latest posts