What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders 2005 squad announced

jed

First Grade
Adamson
Ale
Alley-Tovio
Campese
Carney
Chalk
Croker
Cross
Frawley
Gafa
Goodwin
Graham
Hindmarsh
Hodgson
D Howell
M Howell
Kahler
Martin
Miller
Mogg
O'Hara
Robertson
Rothery
Schifcofske
J Smith
N Smith
T Smith
Thompson
Tongue
Weyman
Withers
Woolford
-----------------------

Nice! :thumnn

thickos

First Grade
Its a bloody huge squad.... good to check out the mug shots at the raiders site too as I did not know what Ale and Alley-Tovio looked like.

One thing I noticed... Frawley seems quite tall! Hope he's good under the bombs. :clap:

woodgers

Bench
I managed to scam a ticket to the season launch at 5pm off a players sister that I work with. I went along and it was o.k. It is more of a sponsors night where the Managers suck up to the people putting the funds in and auction a few items to wealthy businessmen. It was good that the players came out at about 9:30 and mingled with the sponsors. My only gripe was that most the players wanted to get out of there ASAP, not because they didn't want to be there but because Friday morning is the biggest training session of the week and starts at 7am. Bad organising on Management part, perhaps they could have moved training

The players are keen for the start of the year and they look really fit, in particular Adamson and Frawley which is a good sign. A lot of the highlights video of the preseason that went for about 20 minutes showed heaps of Adamson in the gym and on the track. He had his shirt off on a run and is an absolute monster. I did not see one scene where Jason Smith was training so that could be a bad sign. Matt Elliott introduced the team one by one and introduced Weyman as a player who will get a lot of game time in 2005

For the record, Withers is starting halfback I had my heart set on the Carney show but it looks as if we will have to wait. Most players have no idea who will be in firsts and most confirmed that the competition at training for spots is immense.

The best was the big sign on the wall in the gym: PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING MY BODY.

That's great, I love it.

thickos

First Grade
Nice work mr woodgers. A real shame about the Carney/Withers decision. I guess Linc does have a lot more NRL experience compared to Todd so I can understand why they are kicking things off with him.

Don't give up hope on Carney... let him kill a few PL teams then watch him jump up a grade. 8)

woodgers

Bench
Todd indicated that he will most likely come off the bench which he doesn't mind as long as it isn't for the duration of his career. I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't be.

frank

Juniors
woodgers said:
For the record, Withers is starting halfback.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Hrundi99. I too can recall another time when we bought a hooker and played him at half. What a f**kin stroke of genius.

This is becoming tiresome.

:evil:

Raider_69

Post Whore
frank said:
woodgers said:
For the record, Withers is starting halfback.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with Hrundi99. I too can recall another time when we bought a hooker and played him at half. What a f***in stroke of genius.

This is becoming tiresome.

:evil:

what about the time we played 2nd rowers in 5/8th - Croker and Martin
another stroke of genious

aussies1st

Staff member
hehe our team is full of strokes of genius. Also didn't Withers leave or getted droped cause he sucked at halfback. Even the tigers let him go cause he sucked at halfback. And what do u know Elliot picks Withers at halfback even after Withers saaid he doesn't like being a halfback (Sounds similar to Drew)

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
I would run with

1.Schifcofske
2.Graham
3.Frawley
4.Mogg
5.N Smith
6.J Smith
7.Withers
8.O'Hara
9.Woolford
10.Weyman
11.Hindmarsh
12.Adamson
13.Croker

14. Hodgson
15.Cross
16.Miller
17.Carney

I seriously think thast a petty good looing team as long as we can create trys, our go forward and strike power out wide should be fine!

heaps mopre depth to look at all teh great players that i didnt pick

Timbo

Staff member
That squad is huge. Although I'm starting to get more confident than I was.

brenno

Juniors
There's alot of great young talent in that squad. However, there's not alot of experience, especially in the fowards. That's what concerns me the most about this years team. A few injuries to experienced guys and it could be a tough year.

woodgers

Bench
And what do u know Elliot picks Withers at halfback even after Withers saaid he doesn't like being a halfback (Sounds similar to Drew)
I have spoken to Withers and Carney as well as other first graders. If Carney was starting halfback then the training drills would reflect that.

Can I say that there are a handfull of players that really should be praised. Players get paid to play footy, not to be a good bloke. Some players make an effort to seek me out to have a chat and it confirms why I love my team and the game.

Terry Martin. What a top bloke. No matter where or when he always makes an effort to approach me and ask how the Raiders Army and SGB are going. He is wonderful to talk footy with and even goes to efforts to ask how my Christmas was. If every footy player was as good as him then the whole country would be League fans. He went to school with my missus and always asks how she is going and even what her brother and sisters are up to. That is more than you would expect out of a good mate and he does this every time I see him.

Phil Graham. He loves us guys, absolutely loves us. He is over the moon that us guys are in Bay 72 and because the function last night was at the ground I pointed out exactly where we will be so he knows and will acknowledge it. He mentioned that on the pitch he could hear the Raiders Army in the east stand all last year and loved it but said he could not see us fans so is excited at the new season and encouraged as much colour and noise as possible. That is where I come in :D

Nathan Smith. He loves the Raiders Army and carrys on about how good we are. He is coming to the get together tomorrow and is keen for a beer with the fans on his day off. Again, he doesn't have to do it but likes to reward the fans.

Todd Carney. Nice guys, loves footy, loves a chat and is HONEST.

Lincoln Withers. Love the fans, wants to talk footy with the fans and you can tell he appreciates us.

Troy Thompson. Very friendly. Have a chat to him. I guarentee next time he will remember who you are and approach you.

thickos

First Grade
Nice work woodgers. I agree with you on Thommo, he is one of the friendliest guys you will ever meet, he always seems to remember the faces. Tezza as well always has plenty of time for all of us.

Good to see Carney is honest that he is disappointed at being a benchie but it wont stay like that for long :mrgreen:

brenno

Juniors
woodgers said:
And what do u know Elliot picks Withers at halfback even after Withers saaid he doesn't like being a halfback (Sounds similar to Drew)
I have spoken to Withers and Carney as well as other first graders. If Carney was starting halfback then the training drills would reflect that.

I believe thats the way Elliot will go also. It's only a matter of time before Carney cracks the SL though. Although, i believe that he's not a half-back. Have you guys seen his profile on the Raiders new site? He's now well over 6ft and pushing the 100kg @ 96kg. The kid has the build of a 5/8th/centre.

aussies1st

Staff member
He's now well over 6ft and pushing the 100kg @ 96kg. The kid has the build of a 5/8th/centre.
Didn't know that thought he was small. This year we probably need a halfback with a bit of experience which Carney has. If Carney has a good kicking game there shouldn't be a prob with him being halfback maybe he can even strike fear into those smaller halfbacks when he runs at them.

LUKEY

Juniors
I believe also that it wont be long until Carney is a regular first grader. Withers will end up becoming the Hooker next year as I have a fealing that Woolford will go to the UK. I think Campo needs a crack though because he is very promissing.
I am confident that Elliott knows what he is doing giving withers first crack as he doesnt want the young Carney to get stage fright. Look at what the Dogs did with Sunny Bill. He was played off the bench all year with great success and I bet he will be starting all year this year now that he has all the confidence in the world.

aussies1st

Staff member
I agree but smith i feel should be 7 if we want to ease Carney in. Who our 6 is, is another question myabe Campo again? Withers should be on the bench but the prob is then our bench will have 2 small backs. Tough situation, best one i feel is Carney to start first game, he had time to settle in last year and he would be wasted on our bench

Latest posts