What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders 26 Tigers 4

Timbo

Staff member
That's the result according to the article on LU.

Woot!

nickraider

Juniors
Just got back from the game. Played pretty well considering how hot it was. Absolute stinker in Brisbane tonight!!! Plenty of positives to take out of the game. I thought the forwards went well with Turner having another good game, although Tilse dropped the ball a few times. Carney and Dobson were good and Zillman showed glimses of his class. Withers went off towards the end with what looked like a knee injury - hope he's ok.

sydraider

First Grade
If Dobbo, Carney and Zilly are mentioned in a positive way, its all good!

Even though its a trial and I'll treat it as such, ITS DAMN PLEASING TO BEAT THE TIGPIES AFTER LOSING TO A QLD CUP TEAM :D

Bay53

Juniors
Very pleasing result and a great confidence booster coming into the season.

Any more news on the Withers injury???

Lets hope that it not serious. He hasn't missed a game since being back at the Raiders and I am pretty sure he didn't miss one at the Dragons either.

Bay53

Juniors
Report from the NRL.com website. Looks like Chalky may have sewn up the No 1 jersey for the opening game.

Raiders bag 26-4 trail win over Tigers

Saturday, March 3, 2007 - 10:34 PM
Dismissed as wooden spoon favourites, a depleted Canberra Raiders have received a welcome confidence boost by downing a near full-strength Wests Tigers 26-4 in their NRL trial in Brisbane.
The Raiders were the joke of the NRL when they were downed by a combined Redcliffe-Broncos feeder side last weekend in a crushing blow for new coach Neil Henry.
But they turned their form around by comfortably brushing aside a Tigers side boasting stars Benji Marshall, John Morris and Robbie Farah in their starting side for the first time.
Adding injury to insult, Tigers backrower Liam Fulton - who has re-signed until the end of 2010 - was stretchered off early in the second half after being concussed in a tackle.
The Tigers would have feared the worst when the stretcher was called for Fulton after the premiership-winning backrower only returned to full fitness from a shoulder injury suffered in the opening 2006 NRL round.
All eyes were on Marshall as he made his starting debut following his eight-month recovery from a second major shoulder operation.
While Marshall tried hard all night, the bulked up pivot's reconstructed shoulders could not carry the Tigers, who were swept aside five tries to one including a double to Raiders fullback Marshall Chalk.
The loss was hardly the tonic the Tigers needed as they prepare for a daunting opening round clash against the Storm at Melbourne on March 16.
In contrast, the Raiders needed a lift before they opened their NRL account against Manly at Brookvale Oval on March 17.
After the Tigers trailed 12-0 at halftime, Taniela Tuiaki crashed over for a soft try in the 48th minute to give them a sniff.
But Canberra bounced back 13 minutes later when 20-year-old halfback Michael Dobson's deft pass set up a sideline try to Chalk.
Canberra was over again when Phil Graham (67th minute) latched onto a Marshall mis-kick and ran 80m to score before Chalk bagged his double in the 73rd.
Not helping the Tigers' cause was Ryan O'Hara being sin-binned midway through the first half for holding down in the tackle.
Raiders coach Henry bit his tongue when asked if he had silenced some critics with a side hampered by an eight-strong injury list.
"I don't know about silencing some people. The wooden spoon thing keeps coming up but punters can say what they like," he said.
"We just get on and play footy. We are working as hard as any other team.
"Plus it's just trials, the competition starts in a few weeks.
"But it's a confidence boost for us because we have a young squad and they need to build some self belief there."
Meanwhile, Tigers coach Tim Sheens said his side "gifted" the Raiders the win.
"I'm not trying to take anything away from them, they've copped some criticism and they've stung back."
Sheens believed Fulton would be fit for the season opener but was most concerned with Marshall's halves combination with former Eel Morris.
"They were all over the place tonight. They lost the composure of the game tonight."

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/4086/Default.aspx

skeepe

Immortal
Chalk played second rower and centre for a good portion of the match I believe... certainly wasn't at fullback when he scored his 2 tries.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Yeah Chalk was in the 2nd row (I think) for try number 1 and in the centres for try #2.

Zillman was quite good at FB, where he spent the second half, but defensive issues still exist in a big way. Chalk was very ordinary at FB and looks completely lost on kick returns. He was much better in the centres and the better part of unstoppable close to the line.

very nice win by you boys, im worried about consistency now, yous lost to a qld cup brisbane team, then you smash a full strength tigers outfit, i am really starting to question everyones prediction of a raiders wooden spoon, imo the sharks or the titans are strongly in the running, i believe you guys are a great chance of dodging it

aussies1st

Staff member
We're just going to have to take a punt on Zillman at fullback as Chalk doesn't look up to it and don't really see any other options.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree with aussies1st, gonna have to bite the bullet and go will zilly at FB till bronx is back

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
So looks like for round one
1.Zillman
2.Best
3.Graham
4.Chalk
5.Howell (if fit)

IMO close to our best back line

1.Goodwin
2.Best
3.Graham
4.Zillman
5.Howell

parra pete

Referee
Take the odds on offer for the Raiders to make the eight. The Raiders will develop into a good side. Youth and pace..a great combination and the Raiders have both.
My friends at Souths Logan told me they played most impressively last night..trial or no trial..

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Sounds like Zillman and Chalk both have defensive problems which is a worry for round 1 considering Manly's backline. Any mail on how Cross went on the wing, thinking either Zillman or Chalk to bench. Hoping Cross showed enough to be considered ahead of Turtell, looks a player of the future.

Turner sounds like he will be a great buy, looking forward to seeing him go round against Manly. Appears forwards went really well last night and this is where we can dominate Manly imo. Exact makeup of starting pack and bench forwards will also be interesting.

julian87

Juniors
This may sound stupid, but i think despite the players we lost, I think we have the most depth we have had in our club for years. The forwards speak for themselves. In Hooker we have Withers, Dunemann, Tongue and Costigan. Halves Carney, Dobson, Dunemann, Zillman, Withers, Campese, Herbert. The back five, which worries me a bit still consists of Goodwin, Chalk, Zillman, Graham, Best, Howell, Frawley, Purtell, Kelly, Irwin, Milne, Sau, Cross.

I think the fact that we will have the likes of Irwin, Cross, Frawley, Sau and Kelly all in reserve grade (presumably) means that the centres (which i am most worried about this yr) should be great competition and hopefully one of these guys or Zilly etc cement the second centre spot.

julian87

Juniors
Cross in the centres for me. With Zillman at one and Chalk on the bench. Howell and Best on the wings.