What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders furious about GWS grant

Pete Cash

Post Whore
This reminds me of the time I got into an argument with some peanut over at BF that claimed Breakfast Point was culturally in Western Sydney because it was to the west of Leichardt.

I seriously think GWS is trying to claim everywhere to the West and South of the CBD

Paullyboy

Coach
Rorting is not good management.

Then again, you are a Storm sympathiser.

I hate AFL as much as anyone here, but if you can't realise that they simply have smarter people in charge you're kidding yourself.

To be fair they need it, they're clearly working with an inferior product yet they seem to sell it to fools so well.

Surely Blacktown Council is no longer that stupid? The AFL & Giants have moved to Homebush & Breakfast Point. Which Council covers that? It isn't Blacktown.

How odd that AFL convinced Blacktown & state government to build them a new home and then not long after they decided it was no good as cricket took it up in summer. Hullo!!!! No one could see that problem beforehand?

Now after more AFL lobbying the solution from our governments is to build them a 2nd new training home at Homebush. Now they have two new AFL grounds bases in Sydney paid for by taxpayers.

Dumb luck?

They'll probably struggle to get any more out of Blacktown.

They got their dough from Blacktown because the ex-Mayor Leo Kelly was pissed off at the NRL when it decided to put it's academy elsewhere, so the AFL stepped in and got the silly old fart to ante up for the white elephant "stadium".

Kelly didn't last long....

This reminds me of the time I got into an argument with some peanut over at BF that claimed Breakfast Point was culturally in Western Sydney because it was to the west of Leichardt.

I seriously think GWS is trying to claim everywhere to the West and South of the CBD

Well, their coach thinks that the ANZAC bridge is in GWS's area....

Loudstrat

Coach
FFS Pete -the only think they are smart about is creating bullsh*t. They are great at it - lots of people swallow their hyperbole until they begin to think. They are only ahead of the NRL in that regard because we have been contaminated by the presence of News Ltd and the brainless corrupt f*ckwits that work for it.

Forcing a team on an area that hates you is not very smart. Promoting that team by bribing councils to lock up half of your local parks is not very smart. Not living in that area you "represent" is not very smart. Playing half your home games in a different city is not very smart. Nor is calling yourself "Greater Western Sydney" and playing home games in Canberra. Nor is scabbing money off local councils, and getting thousands of ratepayers to hate you.

In fact I'd call that f*cking stupid.

If the NRL - when deciding to create the Melbourne Storm - had done the following things:

• Sent Warren Ryan down their to coach the side, and got him to say "I have never heard of Ron Barassi"
  • Signed Ian Thorpe as prop
  • Crapped on about Melbourne finally being discovered by civilisation
  • Bribed local councils to fence off the MCG and put up a sign that says "Rugby League only"
  • based the team in Albury
  • Played half their home games in Canberra
  • Sponged 300k off a council recovering from a disaster
....stand up comics would have been feeding off that for decades.

The AFL is the dumb sh*t organisation on the Australian Sporting Landscape.

lol Loudy, true that.

AFL will pay the piper eventually.

Let's examine their last home game. The offical crowd was 11k, even AFL fans are rolling their eyes at that figure.

But, assuming that 11k is correct....

Some considered AFL opinions say that of that 11k, 3-4k were travelling Essington fans, that leaves 7-8k. The Swans have dropped 4 and 1/2k off their attendance average from last year, let's assume that's the western Sydney diehard AFL fans, who have jumped off the Swans and onto the new team.

Take 4,500 off 7 or 8k and you're left with not many. The left-over figure is the "new fans" they've apparently garnered.

I could have done a better job with GWS than they've done and I hate that f**king sport and everything to do with it. Everything has been done with arrogance and assumption, they know nothing about the area they've moved into and they know nothing about the people they're trying to convert. FFS, they don't even know what they're trying to convert them from...

They've used every trick in the book to try and fool people into thinking that AFL is the game they should follow. From the "Australia's game" ads that make me want to vomit, to paying councils to lock up grounds, putting 8 sticks up onto disused ovals that haven't had an AFL game on them in decades, to soliciting money from councils who can ill-afford it.

They even hand-picked the wrong bloke to be their figurehead. I mean, seriously, how many people in Western Sydney would you have to ask the question "Is Israel Falou one of your favourite Rugby League players?" before you got "He played for Melbourne, Brisbane and Queensland, he's the enemy"....It points to them not being asked at all. Christ, even that dope Rothfield could have told them he wasn't the right bloke and they would only have to have paid him 40 cents to find out.

The main assumption that they've made, and it's a common one in Melbourne circles, is that what goes well in Melbourne will automatically go well in Sydney.

It's been handled atrociously, and I for one am very happy that they're doing it the way they are because they're not just damaging their game short-term, they're damaging it long-term.

End of rant.

Last edited:
Take 4,500 off 7 or 8k and you're left with not many. The left-over figure is the "new fans" they've apparently garnered.
My guess is the left over figure was the "Freebies".
I doubt that those freebies will pay in future to watch some uncos fumble their way around one of their multitude of "Home Grounds".

Dresden Dan

Juniors
They'll probably struggle to get any more out of Blacktown.

They got their dough from Blacktown because the ex-Mayor Leo Kelly was pissed off at the NRL when it decided to put it's academy elsewhere, so the AFL stepped in and got the silly old fart to ante up for the white elephant "stadium".

Kelly didn't last long....

Wouldn't surprise me if this excuse that the Blacktown ground wasn't available in summer is not really why they wanted a new ground. Living at Breakfast Point & going to Blacktown & back every day is not something many would like. I think they got tired of it all. On the Roar someone mentioned the players. Now they have a new one paid for by taxpayers right near Breakfast Point.

Loudstrat

Coach
And the whole basis of the entire AFL vs Rugby League thing is this. AFL, like all sports, is actually in its pure form not a bad game to watch. From what some mates who dabbled in it, and some kids who have done the same have told me that it is actually not bad to play either.

If it was run by an ethical organisation that simply concentrated on itself, the way sports such as hockey, netball, motorsports, tennis and a sh*tload of others do, no one would hate it. AFL's problem has always been its insistence on pulling its own dick. For decades it has attacked and ridiculed Rugby League - even when its northernmost team was North Melbourne, and our southern most team was St George.

It is like Union - so full of hatred/jealousy toward our game that they carry on in jihad fashion toward us. It is this arrogance that has driven a wedge between League fans and them. Our love of our sport leaves us open to the hurts of these barbs, and steels our arrogance toward them. These are the only 2 sports that attack us, and are the only 2 sports that we attack back.

People can say what they like about Dimwitriou, Kerrod Sneezy, Jason F*ckyananna, Eddie McF*ckwit and a raft of dumbass Victorian sports ministers who would make Greg Inglis look like a PhD in Geography, but I am proud that those who run our game, even as far back as Kevin Humphreys, resisted the temptation to sink to their levels. By concentrating simply on our game, we have grown from a suburban Sydney comp supported by feeder areas like Wollongong, Wagga and Brisbane to the most watched sport in this country, even with the giant Murdoch speed hump of 95.

AFL and Union will never change. That is why they are both - slowly - shrinking as a force in the Australian sporting landscape.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
What the AFL does is very smart. Most of the time they get a new or upgraded taxpayer funded facility they put in a little of their own money & make sure there is a minor additional use by another sport or community body involved. When anyone complains about the AFL milking governments they use these two points to hide behind even though the bulk of the use and money is for the AFL part.

League shouldn't be trying to copy what the AFL or GWS are doing. Sure cry loud and hard about Wagga and point out how unAustralian the tactic is. But don't go down there stooping to the shameless AFL level and saying "what about us?"

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/n...ncil-pacifies-nrl-at-peace-talks/2575095.aspx

Council pacifies NRL at peace talks
PAMELA WHALEY
31 May, 2012 07:00 AM

NRL boss David Gallop has accepted a peace offering from Wagga City Council (WWCC) after expressing concern over the controversial $300,000 partnership deal with AFL newcomers the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

The NRL's executive brigade visited Wagga yesterday to meet with mayor Kerry Pascoe and council officials, looking to broker an equal share of support for rugby league in the city.

Joined in support by Country Rugby League boss Terry Quinn and Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner, Gallop declared he felt rugby league had been "taken for granted" and requested equal consideration.

After 30 minutes in a meeting room, Gallop received the answer he was looking for as council agreed to consider any submissions for funding the NRL may submit.

"We're looking for some equality from council, and obviously we've had some good indications from our discussions today," Gallop said yesterday.

“It’s a matter for AFL what they’ve secured, but what we’re looking for is something of equal standing for our game, given the importance of our game to this district and the importance of this district to our game.

“What we understand of the arrangement that’s been put in place with GWS is a payment to play games, and we’re certainly interested in something equivalent to that.

“The good news is the mayor said his door is open to submissions and we’re certainly going to go away and work on that.”

With the ball in their court, the NRL and CRL will immediately begin planning submissions for funding partnerships with council, which are likely to include Wagga’s nearest club, Canberra Raiders.

However, Gallop said the Raiders will not be considered exclusively in any partnerships with WWCC.

Although a monetary figure was not discussed, Gallop believes council will keep its word and provide NRL with an equal share of support.

“It’s difficult to say, but we’re looking for equality, and looking to ensure the local game is looked after as well as the professional game,” he said.

“It’s a very important part of our system to ensure the local game is looked after, especially when (players from this region) go on to play in the NRL.”

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/n...ofits-back-into-wagga-facilities/2575085.aspx

NRL vows to put profits back into Wagga facilities
PAMELA WHALEY
31 May, 2012 08:30 AM

NRL chief executive David Gallop declared an upgrade to facilities at Equex Centre was the hot topic at yesterday's meeting with Wagga City Council (WWCC).

Parting ways with council's promise to consider any future proposals, the NRL vowed to recycle any money it received back into rugby league infrastructure in Wagga.

Although monetary figures were not agreed upon yesterday, the NRL and CRL said it would flush any funds it gained from council into upgrading facilities at Equex Centre, rather than adding it to a profit.

"Obviously it's infrastructure spending that we're interested in, continuing to upgrade facilities like (Equex Centre) is important," Gallop said yesterday.

Bolstering the show of support, Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner also attended yesterday's meeting with WWCC.

Furner said he believed it was important Wagga ratepayers were aware of how their money was planned on being spent in the region through any future deals with the NRL.

"The main thing for us, though, is that the funding stays in Wagga," he said.

"It's about encouraging the game, so in our proposal we might look at funding for Wagga Rugby League to build the hills at (Equex Centre), things like that to improve the infrastructure in the area.

"Upgrading (Equex Centre) and getting new lights for an NRL game, possibly another City v Country game down the track.

"We'll definitely follow through with that."

Although the full details of council's deal with GWS are confidential, the NRL is eager to forge a partnership of its own, with its own terms.

"We sort of don't know what that deal entails, all these things are different though," Furner said.

"We know what our game wants to do in that area and we're certainly keen to continue that.

"It's not just rugby league (at Equex Centre) and upgrading these facilities can bring so much to the game and to the city."

Fol low @pamelawhaley

Loudstrat

Coach
For their part, the Giants believe they have done nothing wrong in an area that lauds the rise of Chris and Steve Mortimer as much as Wayne Carey. In exchange for their $300,000, the AFL will bring their product to town, with all the same benefits to the local economy in the same way State of Origin benefits the city of Melbourne.
Webster has the same defective brain cell that Perth Red uses. Comparing that to Origin - ffs!

Latest posts