What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders furious about GWS grant

magpie_man

Juniors
This reminds me of the time I got into an argument with some peanut over at BF that claimed Breakfast Point was culturally in Western Sydney because it was to the west of Leichardt.

I seriously think GWS is trying to claim everywhere to the West and South of the CBD

The way they're going, they'll eventually end up sharing the scg with the swans leaving behind a trail of disused, tax-payer funded "home grounds" along the M4/Parramatta Road in their wake.

gUt

Coach
Nah EA gets 6 for that one. Straight through the big sticks. Genuine bona-fide century.

I didn't mean for his rant, I meant 1 point should be awarded for all the AFL's f**k ups he listed. The post itself is definitely worth a century.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
There seems a lot of league journos, officials and players who are in love with every thing AFL does and trash everything league does.

age.s

First Grade
I didn't mean for his rant, I meant 1 point should be awarded for all the AFL's f**k ups he listed. The post itself is definitely worth a century.

Hmm in that case I'm still not sure I agree. I think most of those shots went outside even the little sticks.

The Tele calls it "League central" but AFL trolls always get the most replies printed when this type of article is posted.

Wank of a paper, not even good enough to wipe my arse with.

docbrown

Coach
NRL & Raiders want money to entirely go back into the local sports system (which mind you benefits other sports too).

AFL & GWS want an appearance fee.

They're not even F-grade celebrities in NSW.
Very few people know who they are and very few people even care.
And to cap it off, they're the worst team in the joke of a competition that is the AFL.

:lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
I think EA's arse is worth more of an appearance fee.

BTW mate - silly of you even contemplating wiping your arse with the DT. Its already chock full of sh*t.

BTW - congrats on the 40k -39 posts ago. You got Timmah covered.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
A quote from 2010 that was on the Roar this morning.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...gallop-to-pull-his-head-in-20100608-xtpy.html

Folau fallout - dismayed Demetriou tells Gallop to pull his head in

Michael Cowley

June 9, 2010

The AFL is contributing $10m to the Showground project, and Demetriou confirmed it would plough $120m into Team GWS during the next six years. The other option for the AFL was to upgrade the Blacktown Olympic Park site from a training facility to a 25,000-seat venue, but Demetriou said the result was ''perfect for us.''

When asked if he was concerned the venue wasn't in Greater Western Sydney, and specifically the areas the AFL has been targeting, such as the Hills district, and that it was 25 km from Blacktown, he said: ''I've been out there on several occasions and I think it's a 15-20 minute drive for those people we are trying to attract. I think it's in a perfect position.''

Lambretta

First Grade
The Wagga community are smarter than the AFL and their council seem to think they are
they know who has been putting into the community and there for the right reasons, and they know what a blow in being paid to be there looks like

The raiders have every right to feel disappointed and i hope they dont manifest that into pulling out of the region because that will only harm the people of the town. But the AFL and the Wagga Council should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

The AFL like the NRL have loads of money, they dont need councils tipping in 300k just to get them to show up and support a community. Shame on the AFL for going into such a community with the hands out attitude and shame on the council for falling for the act.

To a degree, I have to agree with the WA Red dude who stated that whingeing about the AFL's ability to do business will acheive nothing.

However, if the NRL is clever they will use this as a way of attacking the AFL back. The AFL is a very well funded machine and the more their funding grows the more agressive their marketing becomes and the more income revenue they seem to get their hands on.

Country towns have a perception that they are doing it tough and the big City folk don't care about them. Whilst this may or may not be true the NRL should be using this opportunity to say "Look who gives to you and look who takes from you. You now know who is on your side and who just wants to use you".

This should not be seen as all bad - this is a great opportunity to turn the Riverina away from the AFL and towards Rugby League.

But it will only be a great opportunity if we're willing to fight them and hold the AFL accountable in a very public manner. Don't forget the AFL are MAKING money, whilst we are SPENDING money. From a bottom line point of view they're the smart ones. However we can use their clever attitude against them if we're willing to get dirty.

Springs

First Grade
Yes, from a bottom line point of view. But rugby league isn't in Wagga for the money. If the AFL only cares about their bottom line then they are greedy f**king dicks, which most people already know anyway.

All local Wagga products have spent significant amounts of time putting it back into the community. Sterlo, the Mortimers, Daley and others. While AFL comes in and takes $300,000 just for saying they will show up in a year or two. When it comes to looking after the community, developing kids, helping junior leagues and promoting the sport, Rugby League wins hands down. AFL just pissed everyone off. That for me is a win for rugby league, in honour, charity, promotion and even including the bottom line.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The Tele calls it "League central" but AFL trolls always get the most replies printed when this type of article is posted.

Wank of a paper, not even good enough to wipe my arse with.

It was in the AFL section as well, thus why so many AFL replies. Though you have to believe whomever vets comments is an AFL supporter. Still I got my comment through.

Springs

First Grade
And this is why I hate AFL. As Loudy said before, it's not that bad of a game to watch. When I go see it in Melbourne I quite enjoy it. But it's when they act like we a plague that the planet needs to be rid of that makes me hate them. When they continously bag us out and try and take over our juniors. And of course, when they take a heap of money off a country council recovering from floods.

Brutus

Referee
Let that Blacktown Councillor-come-GWS promotions manager Gavin Robertson know what you think on this issue.

http://www.2sm.com.au/sport.html

"Oh...but it's just good business isn't it..too be honest I think it is"

First-rate tard and AFL batty boy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It was in the AFL section as well, thus why so many AFL replies. Though you have to believe whomever vets comments is an AFL supporter. Still I got my comment through.

even on RL articles that have nothing to do with AFL they always seem to let these nutters comment

Wouldn't surprise me if this excuse that the Blacktown ground wasn't available in summer is not really why they wanted a new ground. Living at Breakfast Point & going to Blacktown & back every day is not something many would like. I think they got tired of it all. On the Roar someone mentioned the players. Now they have a new one paid for by taxpayers right near Breakfast Point.

Blacktown was always temporary.

Blacktown Council's value for their $$$ was in promotion. Anything mentioned to do with GWS also had 'Blacktown' tacked onto the end of it.

But the AFL had set up players' digs at Breakfast Point, and their Sydney home ground would be at the Showgrounds from the very beginning. These were a more reliable indicator of where they were heading.

If these AFL idiots think folks from areas such as Blacktown, Penrith, Hawkesbury, outer Liverpool or Macarthur municipalities are going to travel 20, 30, 40km east again on their day off from work when they're already spending 3hrs a day in the shit that is western sydney traffic & sardine-can public transport, to support a team that has all the outward presence of representing areas of auburn & the inner west, then idiots isn't a strong enough description for them.

They've already cannibalised Swans support, and that's all they'll achieve in terms of supporter increases for the new club.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Blacktown was always temporary.

Blacktown Council's value for their $$$ was in promotion. Anything mentioned to do with GWS also had 'Blacktown' tacked onto the end of it.

But the AFL had set up players' digs at Breakfast Point, and their Sydney home ground would be at the Showgrounds from the very beginning. These were a more reliable indicator of where they were heading.

If these AFL idiots think folks from areas such as Blacktown, Penrith, Hawkesbury, outer Liverpool or Macarthur municipalities are going to travel 20, 30, 40km east again on their day off from work when they're already spending 3hrs a day in the shit that is western sydney traffic & sardine-can public transport, to support a team that has all the outward presence of representing areas of auburn & the inner west, then idiots isn't a strong enough description for them.

They've already cannibalised Swans support, and that's all they'll achieve in terms of supporter increases for the new club.

What matters is the perception of it all by people of Sydney's west.

Most couldn't care less but the few that bought into the AFL's message that GWS was their team for their community were under the belief the team would be based at Blacktown.

Maybe they were stupid to believe that but that's the message Sydney was given even if they didn't read the fine print. Whatever the justification for tossing Blacktown & the west it doesn't get rid of the perception.

The AFL & GWS & their fans & media can go ahead find all the excuses and blame the customers all they want. Every businessman knows how that one plays out.

What matters is the perception of it all by people of Sydney's west.

Most couldn't care less but the few that bought into the AFL's message that GWS was their team for their community were under the belief the team would be based at Blacktown.

Maybe they were stupid to believe that but that's the message Sydney was given even if they didn't read the fine print. Whatever the justification for tossing Blacktown & the west it doesn't get rid of the perception.

The AFL & GWS & their fans & media can go ahead find all the excuses and blame the customers all they want. Every businessman knows how that one plays out.

the club were always playing their Sydney home games at Olympic Park. i know the bogans of western sydney aren't the brightest sparks and prone to a good whinge most of the time, but I'm sure 99% of them realised that GWS were not a Penrith, Campbelltown or Blacktown, etc team. Nuffies from Melbourne on the other hand have no clue. All they hear in any presser regarding GWS is Blacktown or Penrith and they think that this is the area the club is actually playing.

with regard to fans, where a team plays it's home matches is where the club is domiciled. Who goes out to watch a team train every week? Folks living in Penrith etc knew from the start that this club isn't for them when they're playing at a joint 30km away. Now that they're moving training facilities, this confirms it.

Last edited:

Latest posts