What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders furious about GWS grant

jonno_knights

Juniors
Comparing S.O.O game to a pre-season game.

I think you are well off the mark mate.

The Council is forking out $300,000 for something that the Raiders, + many other teams do virtually for free every year.

I think the issue is that the AFL are forcing the council to pay the big bucks, whereas the NRL do it year in year out for a minimal fee (travel/accomadation costs) while the town gets to keep all proceeds. They are ripping the town off, a town that has much better things to spend $300,000 on. Some onus has to go on the decision makers at the council too, very poor form by them too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is in the ethics of the decision to spend taxpayers money on professional sports events there is no difference. Wether it is good business deal in relation to cost v's outcomes is a different argument. Is it ok for the Victorian Govt to be spending taxpayers money, that could be spent on hospitals, schools and roads, on filling the coffers of a rich organisation like the NRL? Or the C'Weath Govt giving a rich organisation like Soccer $8mill for development work in western Sydney when they could be spending it on aged care or disability insurance?

I agree DC there are some serious hypocrites in this thread.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Reality is in the ethics of the decision to spend taxpayers money on professional sports events there is no difference. Wether it is good business deal in relation to cost v's outcomes is a different argument. Is it ok for the Victorian Govt to be spending taxpayers money, that could be spent on hospitals, schools and roads, on filling the coffers of a rich organisation like the NRL? Or the C'Weath Govt giving a rich organisation like Soccer $8mill for development work in western Sydney when they could be spending it on aged care or disability insurance?

I, not sure how much a GWS trial game is going to generate in Wagga.

But I'm guessing the Victoria government see's origin as a good boost to their tourism industry. How much are they paying per year?

Its not like they havent done it in the past paying Millions to get Tiger Woods over to play golf. It must have been successful or else why would they be doing similar things?

clarency

Juniors
Ffs...

There is a big f*cking difference between one of the largest cities paying to host one of the most watched television events in the country,

and a regional city that has just had it's largest natural disaster in decades, paying for a single reserve grade preseason match.

If you can't see that then you're dumb.

You're just dumb.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Setting aside you grievances about Geoff Carr, if it was affordable and in an ideal world would you not agree that the Raiders should have a team based locally in ACT or Southern NSW?

I understand that currently finance wise there's no choice. Hopefully a solution can be found with the NRL and the local leagues similar to what St. George Illawarra have done with the Steeles and the local Illawarra comp.

It's a good idea on paper and I'd probably prefer a Riverina side to the Mounties. But realistically I don't think it's financially feasible for the Raiders.

Maybe if the NRL/NSWRL subsidised some of the costs it could work but I don't see that happening.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
It's a good idea on paper and I'd probably prefer a Riverina side to the Mounties. But realistically I don't think it's financially feasible for the Raiders.

Maybe if the NRL/NSWRL subsidised some of the costs it could work but I don't see that happening.

This is something where if it is more expensive for the Raiders to field the side than the other NSW teams, they receive the extra funding from the NRL.

I can't see why anyone would be against it.

unforgiven

Bench

I take your point, but let me ask you an honest question and see if you are able to give me an honest answer.

Should the AFL be spending money in the Wagga area on development, or should they instead be payed by a local council to play in the area?

Now in regard to your comment about the difference between this situation and the State of Origin. You claim that the Victorian Government is paying a rich organisation for the game. The difference is the term rich is a relative term. The NRL is not rich when compared to the Victorian Government, but is grossly wealthy when compared to a local council. State and Federal governments should be supporting sporting organisations, especially in areas of development and stadia. Local governments should not have to pay for teams to support their area, outside of the improvements of council owned facilities.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
the AFL would be worth more than the Wagga Council

the Vic Government would be worth squillions more than the NRL

how could you possibly compare the two :crazy:

typicalfan

Coach

None of that has anything to do with the topic and you clearly have NFI on the subject.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the Victorian govt. paying anything for Origin?

Apparently yes

State of Origin rugby league in Queensland amid Victoria's audacious $12.5 million push to stage more interstate matches in Melbourne.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-victorian-heist/story-e6frepbx-1226359369169

Unforgiven my honest answer would be that yes AFL should really be doing it for free if it is strategically important for the AFL to do so. However in this day and age of sports business I am not surprised they have sought funds to go to Wagga over anyone of a dozen other regional areas they could have chosen, Wagga council feel that having a preseason game and some AFL carnivals during the year will benefit the community and in order to guarantee that Wagga is the region it happens in rather than somewhere else they are willing to pay to snare these events.
Local councils do this all the time for a wide range of events so I am bemused by the outrage shown, and no I still don't see it any different when it comes down to it. Taxpayers money could be spent on a wide range of community benefitting areas wether it be at national, state or local level rather than spending it on SOO, C'Wealth games, NRL/AFL games or other sports related events. Govt's seem to place value on hosting these events and are willing to forgo public spending in other areas to get them. That being the case I have no problem with RL holding out its hand to get a share of the spoils.

Canard

Immortal
I don't know that the story confirms that at all PR

Its a tabloid piece about Victorian govt attempt to "steal" FUTURE games by paying for them.

unforgiven

Bench
Is the Victorian govt. paying anything for Origin?

I dont have a source on this but it was my understanding that Melbourne hosting the last few games it has had was part of the deal to get AAMI park built.

This is the type of development I'd like to see us push when it comes time for negoiating where the games are played.

Canard

Immortal
That was my understanding too mate, so I think its a completely different matter to what some of the AFL fans here are alleging

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez the issue gets clouded. This is not about where Origin is played, where the Raiders feeder club is, or the ethics of government spending.

This is about the Wagga Wagga City Council throwing $300k at an AFL side who has never been there, done nothing for the area, and doesnt even represent the area, when the Raiders have been doing their bit for that community for 30 years - including turning one of the districts locals into a premiership legend.

Councils have very finite budgets. Up here, four big issues that are relevent:

1) The glasshouse at Port Macquarie - an example of mis-spent council money that got them sacked. It also forced the sale of Timbertown, and many roads in the district lay in poor repair until state and federal govts kicked the tin.

2) Taree Council and the wooden bridges - Taree has the biggest number of wooden bridges in the country. All were built decades ago when big timber was cheap and plentiful. A few years ago most were condemned because the ageing timber was rotting - estimated replacement bill $10 million. Many have been closed for years, and the money has come only because we elected an independent in a hung parliament.

3) Taree council and last years floods. Declared a natural disaster to get funding to fix roads up - the funding still isnt coming. They have no money to fix them - so sometimes only Bear Grylls types can get from A to B.

4) The Port Macquarie Triathlon, an example of council spending that beings an estimated $8 million into the district.

That should give an insight into the nuances of council finances, the tight balance of budgets and the ability of complete and utter geniuss to get elected.

All that said - it still comes down to a council ignoring the Raiders efforts and shafting them for Girls With Singlets.

unforgiven

Bench
Apparently yes

State of Origin rugby league in Queensland amid Victoria's audacious $12.5 million push to stage more interstate matches in Melbourne.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-victorian-heist/story-e6frepbx-1226359369169

Unforgiven my honest answer would be that yes AFL should really be doing it for free if it is strategically important for the AFL to do so. However in this day and age of sports business I am not surprised they have sought funds to go to Wagga over anyone of a dozen other regional areas they could have chosen, Wagga council feel that having a preseason game and some AFL carnivals during the year will benefit the community and in order to guarantee that Wagga is the region it happens in rather than somewhere else they are willing to pay to snare these events.
Local councils do this all the time for a wide range of events so I am bemused by the outrage shown, and no I still don't see it any different when it comes down to it. Taxpayers money could be spent on a wide range of community benefitting areas wether it be at national, state or local level rather than spending it on SOO, C'Wealth games, NRL/AFL games or other sports related events. Govt's seem to place value on hosting these events and are willing to forgo public spending in other areas to get them. That being the case I have no problem with RL holding out its hand to get a share of the spoils.

Thanks for your answer mate, Instead of taking the money and running I would prefer both the AFL and NRL to negotiate that the money be spend on improving the facilities in the local area. I find this situation much different to paying a bands to come and play in local areas. We need the support of these communities to improve our infrastructure throughout the country.

Yes sport is turning into "big business", but these "big businesses" should ignore and take advantage of these communities at their own peril.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know that the story confirms that at all PR

Its a tabloid piece about Victorian govt attempt to "steal" FUTURE games by paying for them.

In other pieces it mentions about the current game every 3 years deal being increased to a game every year for $12.5mill. They are paying for current hosting of a game every three years, not sure how much but as said the AAMI stadium fudning was a part of it.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Sorry mate Im not disbelieving you but I havent seen it anywhere.

I think its off topic for this thread anyway.